IGNORED

4 port bios project

RangerG

Will you send me your bad shape 4 port for some money or a trade or something?  I'd really like a working 5200, even if it's in bad shape.

Ice, if you were asking me, my 4-port doesn't work but I'm keeping it around for parts. The bios was the first salvaged part and I'm hanging on to it in case i need a new controller port, etc.

And King, you need to practice on a broken 5200 or 2600 and get familar with them someday :) There's a lot of simple repairs and mods that are fun to do.

Actually, i was asking rangerg before I realized that this thread was from like 4 months ago.

• 8 months later...

I agree -- I just upgraded my BIOS on my two - port to the 4-port BIOS, and it was really easy.

I can handle those kinds of upgrades. Thanks to CPUWIZ for that.

Now, those controllers on the other hand -- I think I would pull my hair out on those.

I do have something I would like the folks on the board to help me on. I recently bought a Wico 5200-style Joystick. It looks identical (two firebuttons, etc) except it is white. Also, more importantly, it has a very unique plug on the end. The end of the actual cord that comes out of the joystick really looks like a chip -- it has 16 pins on it - arange in a traditional two rows. It has to plug into some kind of socket. In my case, it is plugged into a WICO socketed adapter (Part Number WICO 50-2072) -- this adapter is brown, and has a female 9 pin connector on one end. I always get mixed up on female vs. male -- it is the kind where you actually see the pins in the plug -- like the plugs on the back of a 2600

Does anyone know the applicaction for this stick? I have the same Command control stick for the TRS-80 COCO, and it has a normal, CoCo din style plug on it, but this one has me stumped. I was thinking maybe Apple II? I cannot find anything on the 50-2072 adapter.

thanks,

Rob Catron

Frankfort, KY

I agree -- I just upgraded my BIOS on my two - port to the 4-port BIOS, and it was really easy.

I can handle those kinds of upgrades. Thanks to CPUWIZ for that.

Now, those controllers on the other hand -- I think I would pull my hair out on those.

I do have something I would like the folks on the board to help me on. I recently bought a Wico 5200-style Joystick. It looks identical (two firebuttons, etc) except it is white. Also, more importantly, it has a very unique plug on the end. The end of the actual cord that comes out of the joystick really looks like a chip -- it has 16 pins on it - arange in a traditional two rows. It has to plug into some kind of socket. In my case, it is plugged into a WICO socketed adapter (Part Number WICO 50-2072) -- this adapter is brown, and has a female 9 pin connector on one end. I always get mixed up on female vs. male -- it is the kind where you actually see the pins in the plug -- like the plugs on the back of a 2600

Does anyone know the applicaction for this stick? I have the same Command control stick for the TRS-80 COCO, and it has a normal, CoCo din style plug on it, but this one has me stumped. I was thinking maybe Apple II? I cannot find anything on the 50-2072 adapter.

thanks,

Rob Catron

Frankfort, KY

• 6 months later...

Hey... I didn't know there were issues with 2 Port OSes. What are the details on this as to what is wrong with it, how to identify them etc.. (And I just threw out about five 5200 systems in various states of disrepair...grr...)

Also, I know some 4 Ports have the "*" on them to signify 2600 compatible.. however, according to the repair manual, those with a "+" in the serial number are "universal" boards that are also 2600 compatible. So which is it?

Karl

The first model, the original 4 port works with all games but it won't work with the VCS adapter without a mod. Models with a * has already been redesigned to work with the VCS adapter. And finally the 2 port has a different BIOS that prevents a few 3rd party games from working. Not sure about the + models.

PS you realize this is an old thread you dug up?

Where can I get the different 5200 BIOS rom images? I would like to see what these incompatibilities are.

I have a 4-port and 2-port 5200 here but they have the same BIOS. My 4-port was also updated with the 'fix' at one time as well.

Steve

I realized this is an "old" thread.. but isn't it better to search for your answers in the forum before posting the same question? ;)

From what I have gathered reading the threads:

Original 4 Port model

Modified 4 port model with * in serial number

Modified 4 port model with + in the serial number ("universal")

2 Port model

2 port model broken OS

There are some 4 port models that have power supplied directly to the mainboard just like the 2 ports.

The Atari Service manual I have from late 83 only lists 3 motherboard types and gives the part numbers.

There are two games known to not work with the broken OS version: Pitfall II and Mountain King.

The 2600 adapter is supposed to be compatible with every 5200 except the original 5200 motherboard.

I realized this is an "old" thread.. but isn't it better to search for your answers in the forum before posting the same question?  ;)  

From what I have gathered reading the threads:

Original 4 Port model  

Modified 4 port model with * in serial number

Modified 4 port model with + in the serial number ("universal")

2 Port model  

2 port model broken OS

There are some 4 port models that have power supplied directly to the mainboard just like the 2 ports.

The Atari Service manual I have from late 83 only lists 3 motherboard types and gives the part numbers.

There are two games known to not work with the broken OS version: Pitfall II and Mountain King.

The 2600 adapter is supposed to be compatible with every 5200 except the original 5200 motherboard.

The 4 port + model isn't modified, 2600 adapter compatibility is built into the board (Like the 2 port).

There are actually three games that have comptibility issues with the 2 port BIOS, the third game is Krazy Shootout. Also, it's Pitfall not Pitfall II that has the problem.

Regarding Classics question; the 5200 BIOS that's here at AtariAge is the 4 port BIOS. It is also the one that is floating around the web at all of the 5200 ROM download sites. I used to have the 2 port BIOS on my site but I'm not sure if it is stil up. I'll have to check into that.

Mitch

I must have the 4-port BIOS in my Atari800Win setup then because it will not play Pitfall.  The game wont start.

Download the one from here at AtariAge, it is the 4 port version and should work with Pitfall. If it doesn't work then you may have a bad Pitfall BIN.

Mitch