IGNORED

Brett Hull Controls

else

I tried this game out for the first time last night. I found the controls a bit confusing, so maybe someone can clarify? This is how I *think* they work:

Offense, your player has the puck:

• A = Pass
  • B = High Shot
  • C = Low Shot

Offense, your player doesn't have the puck:

• A = Turbo?
  • B = Closest
  • C = One Timer

Defense

• A = Check (or maybe Turbo if you're not near somebody?)
  • B = Closest
  • C = ????

I'm also not sure how the One Timer play is accomplished. Can you immediately press Pass and then press One Timer? Or do you have to wait for the exact moment when the receiving guy gets the Pass before hitting One Timer?

Also, it seems like for Turbo you have to repeatedly press the button maybe -- rather than hold it?

Edited by else

Sure thing, after I give it some more time. I've only spent about an hour with it so far, and most of that time was just trying to figure out what was going on. :) From what I can tell, the game appears to be finished, or at least very, very near finished (I know there's a bit of debate whether they were going to clean up the graphics a bit more in the final version).

In the mean time, here's a review I found:

BHH Review

P.S. This is the B&C cart release I'm playing....

Edited by else

I love how people (mostly the collectors with protos) like to call B&C pirates, I think their doing us a great service by offering us these nearly finished games for sale (the prices are about what it costs to produce a cartridge) :) I've been itching to play this game but I wasn't sure how finished it was, is it practically finished? or does it lock up at points?

I think it's at least 99% finished, maybe even 100% finished. Of course, even if it is 100% finished that doesn't mean it's a great game. Sports games never seem to age very well, and I think this is another example of that phenomenon. The summary of "blocky little hockey players on a blocky rink skating around in pseudo 3D fashion" in the review I pointed to sums the game up pretty accurately I think. I haven't seen any lockups.

There's lots of stuff you can manage if you choose to -- you have seven line-ups that you can configure on your team. If you're in to that kind of stuff you *might* find the game more appealing. Me, I find that kind of stuff extremely boring and just go with the defaults. After all, I just want to play a hockey game -- not dork around configuring players and stats (especially ones from twelve years ago)!

I guess I'd categorize it as a "finished, but average (or slightly above average)" game....

Edited by else

I've thought about buying BHH, but frankly I find most team sports videogames don't interest me much. Brutal Sports Football is an exception to my rule: it doesn't have a lot of depth but it is fun for a quick game or two every now and then.

I've thought about buying BHH, but frankly I find most team sports videogames don't interest me much. Brutal Sports Football is an exception to my rule: it doesn't have a lot of depth but it is fun for a quick game or two every now and then.

if u like hockey and love your jaguar this is definetly a must have, i really like this game :D wish the cd version was complete :(

You would think that B&C would put together some type of booklet or at least a paper with the controls listed!

No, there isn´t anything included with the cart.

Yeah, nothing included with the cart, but thanks! :) to else's BHH manual & the controls he listed at the top of this thread we have some much needed documentation for this game. :D

• 2 weeks later...

The earlier prototype cart of this game (and Barkley -- both earlier than the released versions) that I have is a hoot. I've played the released BHH as well, and the earlier one is definitely nowhere even close to being as playable.

That said, I do like the released version of BHH. Real good controls, and not too hard to pick up on.

Edited by vanadium

• 2 weeks later...