IGNORED

What do I need to get started with C64?

Dino Eggs, Toy Bizarre, Maniac Mansion, Knight Games, Jumpman Junior, Aliens, Bop 'N Wrestle, Gateway to Asphai, Batman the Caped Crusader, Trolls 'n Tribulations, Pitfall 2, Little Computer People, Zaxxon, Frogger 2, Defender of the Crown, etc., etc.

I could go on forever about great C=64 games but those above are essential.

what i am looking for are some good games and anything else you think i may need. Thanks!

If you've got a PC handy - get yourself an XM1541 cable (to connect your C64 floppy drive to your PC) and a copy of Starcommander. That way you can transfer downloadable .D64 disk images onto real 5.25" floppies to boot on your C64! :D

If you can find a copy of the game Crossroads, you'll have hours of fun with it. It was a type-in program from COMPUTE!'s Gazette. Really great game.

I had a lot of fun with Paperboy and Roadrunner too...

Funny you should mention Crossroads I was just looking at the Dec 1987 issue last night and Just had to load it up and play Its still Great today

Also Dec. 1988 of Gazette has Crossroads II with a maze editor Thats just as fun!!

Paperboy Great Road Runner Wow I have it and will play today

back to the OP There's the Ultima Series and for real Text only adventures the Zork Trilogy

Most people have already mentioned the stuff I would recommend... (ie, a fast-load cartridge and an X1541 cable), so I'll just recommend a few games:

• Wasteland
  • Ultima IV
  • Curse of the Azure Bonds
  • Pool of Radiance
  • Space Taxi
  • Archon & Archon II
  • Elite
  • Star Control
  • Conan
  • Paradroid
  • Mail Order Monsters
  • Legacy of the Ancients
  • Bard's Tale I, II & III
  • Impossible Mission
  • Neuromancer
  • Maniac Mansion

There's a ton more excellent games out there, but that should keep you busy for a while.

As for text games, all of the Infocom games are excellent, though you're likely better off playing those on your normal computer using something like WinFrotz.

--Zero

All the great games are mentioned here but Ill add my own favorites (donkey kong has the pie level!):

Bruce Lee

Beach Head

Beah Head II

Raid Over Moscow

Conan

Zorro

Trolls & Tribulations

Jumpman

Karateka

Lode Runner

Oils Well

Boulderdash

Ultimate Wizard

Ultima IV

Pool of Radiance

Legacy of the Ancients

Commando

Donkey Kong (has the pie level!)

Castles of Dr. Creep

Space Taxi

There are millions of other great games. The C64 was the king of gaming in the 80's.

Raid on Bungeling Bay is one of the greatest games ever written. You can`t go wrong with Broderbund on 8-bits anyway, but if you can find Raid, you`ll be in factory-bombing, dogfighter-shooting heaven.

I second the recommendations for Dino Eggs, Bruce Lee, Oil`s Well and Wizball. The best arcade ports are Moon Patrol, Pooyan, Q-Bert, Donkey Kong, Satan`s Hollow and Crystal Castles. Avoid Robotron and Star Wars: The Arcade Game.

Raid on Bungeling Bay is one of the greatest games ever written. You can`t go wrong with Broderbund on 8-bits anyway, but if you can find Raid, you`ll be in factory-bombing, dogfighter-shooting heaven.

How much worse is the NES port? I have only ever played that version and IMO it sucks.

I`ve never played the NES version, but then I haven`t seen a good port on there since the first SMB. For instance, Archon on the NES is awful. So I wouldn`t go by that -- Raid on the C-64 is smooth as hell, has a great control scheme, a solid concept and at least enough playability that you wouldn`t think it sucked, even if it wasn`t necessarily your kind of thing.

I`ve never played the NES version, but then I haven`t seen a good port on there since the first SMB. For instance, Archon on the NES is awful. So I wouldn`t go by that -- Raid on the C-64 is smooth as hell, has a great control scheme, a solid concept and at least enough playability that you wouldn`t think it sucked, even if it wasn`t necessarily your kind of thing.

Nobody mentioned Ghostbusters ??

Or:

Racing Destruction Set

Winter Games

World Games

PHM Pegasus

Eliminator

Marble Madness

The list goes on....Oh, and I actually liked some of the Mastertronic

"budget' titles, you can still find some at oldsoftware.com

As for lemmon64.com, yeah the database is great....but some people in

the forums could use a lesson in courtesy :(

Edited by marcfrick2112

thanks everybody, this is also helping me out alot, and now i seriously want to pick up Utlima IV, ive heard somebody talk about it elsewhere it and it sounds like something i could get into, im getting my c64 in about a week in the mail.