IGNORED

Still having color issues with my 7800...

ataridave

Ok, I don't want to be known as a troll around here, but I smell a rat. After being told that green is the normal title screen for 7800 Galaga, in another thread, I checked Mobygames, a huge video game database, and found these screenshots:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/atari-7800/galaga/screenshots

As you can clearly see, the game's title screen is in gold, not green. Even when I emulated 2600 Galaxian, in Stella, the colors were more detailed and crisp then they are on my 7800.

I don't know if all of this is because my 7800, which I bought from someone on this site, might be damaged (there were pieces of black plastic that fell out of the system as I was unwrapping it), if I need to get it modded for AV output, or just get a 2600 with a cartridge slot hacked into it, but something's got to be wrong here.

Ok, I don't want to be known as a troll around here, but I smell a rat. After being told that green is the normal title screen for 7800 Galaga, in another thread, I checked Mobygames, a huge video game database, and found these screenshots:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/atari-7800/galaga/screenshots

As you can clearly see, the game's title screen is in gold, not green. Even when I emulated 2600 Galaxian, in Stella, the colors were more detailed and crisp then they are on my 7800.

I don't know if all of this is because my 7800, which I bought from someone on this site, might be damaged (there were pieces of black plastic that fell out of the system as I was unwrapping it), if I need to get it modded for AV output, or just get a 2600 with a cartridge slot hacked into it, but something's got to be wrong here.

Maybe you use a NTSC Galaga on a PAL Device or vice versa?

Those are clearly taken from the emulator which has the WRONG COLORS so of course they're wrong.

It's supposed to be GREEN

Look at Joust, the first wave of knights are PURPLE, they're supposed to be red.

joust.png

They're the correct color, RED, on my real 7800 which also correctly displays the GREEN logo for Galaga

Look at a Galaga arcade machine, the marquee is GREEN

Edited by godzillajoe

In my case,my 7800 displayed wrong colors all the time,and it was the tv's,not the console,i say check out the tv before blaming console,ive had to fix or replace a couple of my tv's,i too at first thought it was the 7800 at fault,glad it wasnt!

I experience some inconsistencys in color (Basketbrawl, the 2nd court is occasionally green instead of brown, Ikari Warriors sometimes has a greener tint to the background), but it never detracts from the game. I love the 7800!

I love my 7800 too, and that's why I'm concerned. This is a fairly new TV, we're talking less then one year old. And with the plastic pieces falling out of the console, maybe it's the 7800. It was just plastic; nothing that looked like circuitry or anything like that, though.

Yeah, those pictures were probably taken with an emulator.

Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just want to figure out what's wrong here-particularly with the 2600 games, which are supposed to run perfectly on the 7800. Maybe I just need to get a 2600 (the one with the built in games that comes with AV) that has a cartridge slot hacked into it to play my 2600 games on. But part of the reason I got a 7800 instead was to "kill two birds with one stone", so to speak.

Edited by dave4shmups