IGNORED

If you were in the US and were interested in buying a Spectrum Sinclair...

tamago

Which one would you purchase? Would you need a step down converter? If so can you recommend one?

Wiki baffles me on which system to buy. It seems like the later models were the most reliable, yet least compatible.

Ideally I'd like to shoot for something that is super reliable but also mostly compatible with everything.

You need to replace the power supply with a US equivalent. Pretty easy since it's external. You could try starting at Radio Shack.

Search their site for AC-to-DC Power Adapter and look for a 1.5 - 2 amp 9v or 12v supply. Supposedly the Speccy says 9v but the supply is actually 12v. If it has a changable plug and polarity that certainly won't hurt either.

I have a gray +2 but haven't tried to hook it up yet.

It's the first model with a "normal" keyboard and is mostly compatible.

The black +2 doesn't work with as much older software and pre-128K models don't have the RAM or sound chip.

But only the black +2 and +3 have a floppy controller.

The most important reason I bought the grey model was I got it cheap.

I think it was about $20 shipped... but the seller had listed it wrong so don't expect that kind of deal.

If you are worried about it running hot you could add a 3.1 volt zener diode to convert it to 9v.

See this thread for info:

http://www.epanorama.net/phpBB2/viewtopic....8fe6c5c4aa73051

(it talks about a car's 12v but the same should apply)

I was about to suggest the timex sinclair 2000, until I double checked and realized it never left the prototype stage heh

http://www.nvg.ntnu.no/sinclair/computers/timex/ts2000.htm

-Jubal-

Definitely get the Spectrum 128, which is not the same as the Plus 2, as it has the most compatibility with all the software released for it. A cheaper alternative is just the original rubber keyed model, which will play most games, though the late 80s games won't have music because it wasn't till the 128K version came out that the AY chip was included.

I've been wanting to get a gray +2 for some time now. I always figured you'd need both a voltage converter such as this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-Watt-Voltage-Conver...1QQcmdZViewItem

and a PAL to NTSC converter:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TV-AV-VIDEO-SYSTEM-PAL...1QQcmdZViewItem

Would that not be correct?

Actually, the really big reason that has kept me, so far, from getting one is the extremely high shipping prices. Seriously, does it really cost $80 - $90 to ship one of these to the US from the UK? They don't look that big. What are they, made of lead or something? :P

I could use a PAL converter but I hear that sometimes the signal can be sketchy depending on the quality of the unit. The Spectrum 128 has an RGB port so I was thinking of connecting it to a Amiga monitor or getting a RGB -> VGA cable.

As far as cost, my main concern is reliability, compatibility, and the sound chip. Thats it!

The voltage converter will be cheaper than a power supply... but once you pay shipping from Europe for the weight of a power supply you can buy one.

With shipping quotes over 40 pounds on every machine I've inquired about it's definitely something to consider.

You will need a PAL converter or to use RGB output. I don't think rubber key models had RGB out. Not sure about the 128. Seems to me the +2 does.

I don't know what monitors would work with it though since I've never tried it.

It would probably need a multi-sync that could handle the scan rate.

Most of the converter boxes I've looked at were considerably more expensive than the one linked above.

I'd want to hear what someone's results were before trying it.

Edited by JamesD