IGNORED

Arcade to Lynx comparison

Gregory DG

Hmmm???? MegaPak Vol. 1? What details do we have on this one? Like Atari 2600 homebrews, I am spanning out and getting ready to buy some Lynx homebrews and stuff. Let me know what info you have... For now I'll go search the lynx forum to see if I can find some extra info.

Thanks...

Ok, after a long absense, I've restored my Arcade to Lynx screenshot comparison page.

Amazing what the Lynx could do, isn't it? :cool:

Great job on that page!

The Lynx really had some fabulous arcade conversions, especially considering the time it was released and the fact it was a handheld! It was always a kick to see just how close the programmers could replicate the arcade game on a portable system with completely different hardware.

Another thing that made these conversions interesting is that they were created separately from the arcade games, and were usually developed by an entirely different group of people than the ones who made the original arcade versions. After the introduction of Saturn and PlayStation in the mid 1990s, arcade conversions weren't quite as "special" anymore, since most of the conversions were being done by the same development teams that did the arcade games, and in many cases the arcade machines were based on similar hardware to the home video game consoles. While the accuracy of the conversions got much better as a result, at the same time there weren't as many surprises, such as new features that were "only in the home version". Some Lynx arcade ports like Rampage and Xenophobe are memorable because of the changes and improvements that were made to differentiate the game on the Lynx.

I'd like to add too, that I've never thought that Lynx screenshots do proper justice to the games, because they are always blown up and you can see all the individual pixels, making the games look really blocky or lego-like. These games are just so much better when in action. :love:

I think Double Dragon is a pixel port (minus some colors) But wow, still.

Well, the characters are very accurate, but the backgrounds are missing a lot of detail! I was surprised when I was playing through it that there was no "Scoop Moto" sign like in most versions.