IGNORED

jaguar..worst atari system?

phuzaxeman

i've got mostly all the main atari systems (minus the st). the 2600 has the most nostalgia, 5200 was my first system and my favorite with my lynx for such great games. the 8 bit computer was amazing since it had so many games and other cool software. but i feel the jag and/or the 7800 are the two worst atari systems. the jag (trevor/bruce lee) has so many mediocore and bad games. the 7800 (karateka/one on one) does too.

don't get me wrong, i've spent hours on aliens and tempest on the jag but i think it might be the worst atari system. considering the market back then (ps1), the jag failed big time (for obvious reasons). btw, i own the jaguar since it first came out so i can appreciate the system. don't want to offend, but does anyone else feel the same?

Lets see.....Love my 2600.My 7800 is good because it will play my 2600 games.Lynx is a nice hand-system(which i need to get one still).The 5200 would be better if the controllers didnt suck so bad and it had more varity in games.The Jaguar seems to me to have only a hand full of games i like(seven for me actually).So while the Jag is close to being the worst system for me am going to have to agree with Lemmi and go with the 5200.Not like the 5200 is a plie of trash or anything like that but it would be on the bottom of my list of Atari systems i play.

I have to agree some... but not all.

I think the 2600 is awesome for the sheer amount of games and flavors it has to offer. The 5200 seems to be my least favorite. I alos have to say that I'm not overly blown away by the 7800 either. Had it had the 2600 library (yes i know you can play the 2600 games on it... for this reason alone I add points to this system...) perhaps in updated better versions... then I think it would have been just as good as the 2600. I just think it needs more games then its small library.

With saying that... the same goes for the Jaguar. I think it is the most powerful system Atari made. And the marketing sucked. I remember when it came out, but I also remember that it was just a mystery to most of the people I knew. I thik it could have done better with a few more years under its belt. I wish they would have been able to make games for it for another 2 solid years. I think it would have seen a vast improvement with the quality of games.

So... I'm not blown away by it. But I am amazed at the quality of games compared to say Pacman of the 2600 ers. Huge improvements for a company. They simply got knocked down by the big companies and never could beat the count to continue fighting. Had they dne that... I think it would have lasted a good 15 rounds... who knows who the decision would have went to

i feel the jag and/or the 7800 are the two worst atari systems. the jag (trevor/bruce lee) has so many mediocore and bad games.

The 2600 has more mediocre and bad games then the others. Does that make it the worst system?

The worst system is the one you don't play.

Definitely the worst Atari handled system, but by far the most powerfull .

maybe that's it. i agree, one of the most powerful (jaguar). but through the test of time, the lynx is probably the most powerful. the 5200 has way more good games than bad games ratio in comparison.

Edited by phuzaxeman

i feel the jag and/or the 7800 are the two worst atari systems. the jag (trevor/bruce lee) has so many mediocore and bad games.

The 2600 has more mediocre and bad games then the others. Does that make it the worst system?

because the 2600 has so many games and was the first cart system, it ranks to be on the top.

because the 2600 has so many games and was the first cart system, it ranks to be on the top.

It wasn't the first cart system.

The Jag is a very powerful, very impressive system. Anyone that thinks it was Atari worst console is only fooling themselves. It might have been the last but it sure wasn't the worst. All of the Atari consoles are great. There is no loser when you got Atari in the mix. :thumbsup:

I dont think any of the mainstream systems were junk by

any means. Flawed in some ways, one way or the other but

every mainstream system from Atari was top notch.

Just a few things in a few systems....

Certain features like the 5200 controllers.

The Jaguar was rushed and could have been so much more

The 7800 was pure stupidity for sitting on it so long.

Ok even the computers!

First of all, outside of waht is considered 'obsolete' tech,

the 8 bits are perfect! What can I say? They had it all

for that time hands down. I mean come on..An arcade

pokey chip for sound!!!

ST was far from perfect, even though it's a great machine

I still cherish. But why not hardware sprites(sheesh at least

player missle graphics), DLI's and what was with the horid

bit plane garbage? Why not two pokeys for sound? DOH!

Im such a coding geek its frightning...:P

Any way I have to say the 2600 is still by far the most amazing

little piece of hardware to this day when you consider the fact

that people are still finding out new tricks to pull of on it.

The 2600 is easily the best system just based on the memories

it provided. The other systems did too, but not like the VSC.

The Jag is a very powerful, very impressive system. Anyone that thinks it was Atari worst console is only fooling themselves. It might have been the last but it sure wasn't the worst. All of the Atari consoles are great. There is no loser when you got Atari in the mix. :thumbsup:

Don't be such a fanboy! :D We all know the 5200 sucks, any system with that controller is doomed. :love: :P

Don't be such a fanboy! :D We all know the 5200 sucks, any system with that controller is doomed. :love: :P

You only ave to use the stocks if you choose too. There are options :) Hell building your own controllers is always the best route for any system anyhow. :)

Worst system, huh... Hmm... Clarify "worst?" Worst supported? Worst hardware? Worst controller? Worst marketing? Worst games?

Heh, I think the Jag has appeared on each of those lists at one point. I know lots of people hate the controller. Many hate the games. Many hate Atari's (lack of) marketing. Some berate the hardware.

So, you could probably get away with saying the Jaguar was the least like or most hated. But worst? That's a matter of opinion and definition.

ha, i believe the jaguar is by far ataris best system, all the rest are so boring anymore especially the 5200, i cant remember the last time i played the 26,78,or52, as for the lynx it was on of the best handhelds, the jaguar is also the most interesting and it had the worst marketing, the 2600 just has a long legacy and following, of course my opinion is bias because im along time jaguar fan and i cant think of any atari 2600 games i would rather play than any jaguar game, anyway thats my opinion :D

Not the worst system. The worst marketed and supported system. Same thing with the 7800. However, I think I read where the 7800 sold close to a million systems?

Ace Magazine reported over 2 million over the course of its life. However, I think that was on the basis of Atari coasting on their name (and the compatibility of the 2600). Certainly, it wasn't advertising. And I believe that the way they sat on their ass with the 7800 hurt the systems that followed, especially the Jaguar which launched amidst great skepticism.

Edited by DracIsBack

Ace Magazine reported over 2 million over the course of its life. However, I think that was on the basis of Atari coasting on their name (and the compatibility of the 2600). Certainly, it wasn't advertising. And I believe that the way they sat on their ass with the 7800 hurt the systems that followed, especially the Jaguar which launched amidst great skepticism.

I remember the first year Atari launched the Jaguar. EGM gave the Jag fairly high rankings (7s I believe) for their year end review praising its power but were waiting for the games to show. The next year it they gave it 4s and 3s for lack of any killer apps. It was never the systems fault. It was Atari management.

Edited by Trip_Cannon

Worst system, huh... Hmm... Clarify "worst?" Worst supported? Worst hardware? Worst controller? Worst marketing? Worst games?

Heh, I think the Jag has appeared on each of those lists at one point. I know lots of people hate the controller. Many hate the games. Many hate Atari's (lack of) marketing. Some berate the hardware.

So, you could probably get away with saying the Jaguar was the least like or most hated. But worst? That's a matter of opinion and definition.

yes "the worst" is relative. i'd say though that the jaguar was the least supported and had the worst library of good games in comparison to all other atari systems. the frustration is that it was one of atari's last system and you'd think they'd learn from the past. great ideas that never really developed. with the little number of titles, hardware flaws (hard to program), bad advertising, and a slew of other issues, the jag was destined to fail. i do still like my jaguar but play the system the least.