IGNORED

IRC Chat Thursdays @ 8pm CDT/CST

JellE

Thanks for having me in your chat room tonight. Nice to meet all of you. I'll be back soon!

It was a pleasure having you... you are more than welcome to come back any time... and thanks so much for coming!! :)

I enjoyed the IRC chat however the scrolling problem I have is very annoying, i have included a picture that outlines the trouble and I will have a few image captures in my next post.

And I want to apologize for asking users to repeat themselves but it is difficult if not impossible to read the screen at times.

I am also new to the IRC & Hyper Terminal thing and I am not all that sure of what I am doing.

post-4620-1177085584_thumb.jpg

Edited by L¥NXGU¥

Okay... I did the whole hyperterm thing... and there isn't a way to do scrolling inside the actual "chat" area. You can scroll up and down to see what you typed... because it "prints" to a totally different area after you send. With that said, however, it would probably be easier to just use the java applet... or actually "telnet" via your MS-DOS prompt, instead of hyperterm. No history scroll back capability on hyperterm.

Edited by JellE

Okay... it seems like you are wanting to be able to scroll back to see what has been said in the room after it moves off the screen...is that right? Well, it can't be done with hyperterm. It doesn't have this capability. Your best bet is to download an IRC client... use the java applet... or telnet to the channel through the MS-DOS if you are using Windows. If you need help... PM me and I will see what I can figure out for you. :)

Okay... it seems like you are wanting to be able to scroll back to see what has been said in the room after it moves off the screen...is that right?

Actually wrong I seldom scroll back, the problem I am having is I cannot read the comments if just 2/3 of them scroll while the last 1/3 does not.

Now when the comments are short then I have ZERO scrolling problems.

The next time I am at IRC chat I will make sure to do a screen capture and post it here.

Ahh... no wrap around. I think I get it now. Yeah... Greg had a similar problem.. and there is a way to fix that... I just don't remember what it is off hand. Maybe I will play with it on Monday and see what I can figure out. :)

Alright Lynx... I think I have it figured out. When you set up the call... you can go into properties. (File and Properties in the call screen) The properties need to be set up as follows in order to wrap-text: Go into ASCII set up, there will be two sections: ASCII sending and ASCII receiving. In ASCII receiving... check mark "wrap lines that exceed terminal width"... this should fix that part of the problem. Also if you do a /clear in the "chat" area, before you type something.. it should display all the text that has been sent to the channel (except for yours... which displays anytime you send something and hit enter) and you can scroll back and forth. I have HT set up to be an ANSI terminal... with 500 scroll back lines. I don't know if this helps or not... but this is what I came up with. If this doesn't work for you... let me know.. and I will try something different.

This is the first screen I see when I click on hyper terminal

post-4620-1177350060_thumb.jpg

This is the first screen I see when I get to chat

post-4620-1177350128_thumb.jpg

This is the problem I have been telling you about

post-4620-1177350214_thumb.jpg

This is after "ctrl L" code is typed in

post-4620-1177350311_thumb.jpg

Then my problem starts all over again

post-4620-1177350368_thumb.jpg

Hmm... I don't know what is causing that... because mine isn't like that at all. I think the problem might be you have it set for ANSIW? I don't know... I couldn't get it to work like yours does. Maybe somebody else has some ideas. But I also use 98SE which could be making the difference. Sorry

I know i've already asked this question once elsewhere, because of the time difference betw. UK/Europe and the US

Wouldn't it be possible to have a UK/European mirror chat area and as other parts of the world log on, the various chat rooms come together into one large chat area, that way, everyone can join in and we don't have to wait up half the night to speak to our american/canadian friends

btw jell'e', i've heard of something called a JAVA overlay for windows, you can download it from the java (sun) website, it seemed to work with the Java emu's, but will it work with i.e (to get onto your atari chat area/room), as going through ms dos seems a bit over complicated

I know i've already asked this question once elsewhere, because of the time difference betw. UK/Europe and the US

Wouldn't it be possible to have a UK/European mirror chat area and as other parts of the world log on, the various chat rooms come together into one large chat area, that way, everyone can join in and we don't have to wait up half the night to speak to our american/canadian friends

btw jell'e', i've heard of something called a JAVA overlay for windows, you can download it from the java (sun) website, it seemed to work with the Java emu's, but will it work with i.e (to get onto your atari chat area/room), as going through ms dos seems a bit over complicated

There is actually already a java applet that will take you onto the server. When you log on, all you would do is type /join #atari which would take you to the #atari chat area. Then to change your name from JavaUser you would type /nick mynamehere Most of us are there 24 hours a day/7 days a week. There is generally someone awake, even into the wee hours of the morning.

As for a mirror, that would be something that would actually have to be discussed with the chat room owner and I personally wouldn't know how to go about that. I am not exactly sure how the whole thing would work, actually. I will see what I can come with . :)

I can't get the java applet to work. It worked the first time I tried, but has not since -- just sits at connecting to irc.newnet.net 6667. I have installed the chatzilla addon for firefox and that works fine. In fact, I can save the server, channel, and nick so joining the chat is a one click affair...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/16