IGNORED

Thinking of getting an Gamecube any advise?

kevin242

Ok I was real excited about the WII, but they still aren't in any local stores and I'm seeing alot of people selling Gamecubes on Craigslist and Ebay. I never did get a Gamecube so the games would be new to me. I know there is a good library of great games for the cube so I am thinking why not pick up a GC cheap and collect some games for it. After all for the price of one PS3 game I can get a cube with a few games. Then sometime this summer I can ditch the cube and get a WII and already have a collection to play on it... Is there anything wrong with this I am over looking aside from missing out on the latest wii games (let's face it I can wait a few months, Im still playing Atari games from 30 years ago...)? I'm gonna try to win one this week (thurs/fri) anything I should watch out for? Is there any difference between the various colors and special editions (besides the look)?

What about controllers? Anything I should be concerned about? What about games? What are the must haves? What good retro compilations are available? Any sleeper titles that only hardcore GC players know about that I should look for?

Any advise from Gamecube fans is appreciated. I figure I can pick up a used one without games for around 40-50 bucks with shipping and with a few games or other extras (like extra controllers+memory crd) for 100 bucks or less either way I can cherry pick the best games from ebay and local sources and probably get a couple cheap every week until I have all the best ones. For example one guy was selling a GC with Mortal Kombat:Deadly Alliance, Legend of Zelda:The Windwaker, Animal Crossing, Namco Museum, and Pacman vs with a 16 mb mem card and nintendo controller for 75 bucks locally. I missed my chance on that one, but it sure sounded like a great deal... Do these systems hold up well? Should I be weary of getting the original purple ones that are the oldest model? Do I need a memry card?

Thanks for any advise you can give or if you are selling one please PM.

Kev

I had a lot of good times with my GameCube, but i'd still advise holding out for a Wii...once you get one that 'Cube will feel like money wasted.

Should you choose to get a GameCube, here's my advice:

They're indestructable. I have never heard of one burning out on anybody. I don't know what Nintendo made them out of, but it's obviously some sort of voodoo magic.

Yes, yes you will need a memory card. I recommend the bigger of the two that Nintendo sold. It takes an entire one of the small cards just to hold an Animal Crossing save.

That said, here's a list of games i'd recommend picking up, many of which can be had cheap:

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (obviously)

Super Mario Sunshine (don't believe the haters)

Resident Evil 4 (blows the PS2 version out of the water)

Animal Crossing

Harvest Moon

Tales of Symphonia

Super Monkey Ball 1 and/or 2

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Mario Kart Double Dash

Metroid Prime 1 & 2

Soul Calibur 2

Beyond Good & Evil

Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour

just get a wii and use it to play cube games.. its what im doing, my cube hasnt been turned on in a long long time now.

games to get:

Ikaruga

Mario Kart

Rogue Squadron 2

Rogue Squadron 3 (this game isnt that great, but mutliplayer and coop of the whole 2nd game is nice for the used price you can find this at)

F-ZERO GX

Soul Calibur 2

Waverace

Smash Bros

Alien Hominid

Capcom VS SNK 2 EO

Cel Damage (simple fun twisted metelesque type multiplayer game)

Beach Spikers Virtua Beach Volleyball (what can i say, the chicks are hot)

Intellivision Lives (despite reviews, i honestly really liked this disk, lots of good intellivision games and nice little extras)

Metroid Prime

Phatasy Star Online (get this or you will go to hell)

oh, and mario sunshine was the most boring pos mario game ive ever played in my life... dont get it, pretty graphics only go so far my freind

Edited by AtariJr

Unless you have the $80 or so readily available for a GC, I'd likewise suggest holding off for a Wii. Start scooping up the GC games while they are cheap and available.

While not foolproof, a good way to get a Wii is to find a store like Target that is going to do a Sunday advertisement (ask them) and then showing up an hour or two before opening on Sunday morning. That is how me and the bro scored our Wii's, and have heard similar success stories.

Since picking up the Wii, I have unplugged my GC. I have picked up 7" LCD and the battery pack base for it, and hope to take it on the road with me this summer.

I have a GC. That was a good sounding deal you mentioned. The gamestores aroudn here sell them as a system for $60-70 used, $85 (I think) new. I never got a chance to get that many games for mine, but the Star Wars games all were pretty well made. Also, if you have a Gameboy advance it can be hooked to it for little tricks. Makes it more interesting if nothing else. Accessories have gotten really cheap, as well as the games mentioned above. If you get one I don't think you'll feel it was a waste of money, though. Two game consoles are definitely better than one!

Nathan

is tehre any other stores that do the sunday specials thing besides Target? there is no target in my town, everything else, but no target, you think meijer would have it? by the time i get the money for one in about 2 or 3 months, people will more than likely be able to get one whenever they want.

They're indestructable. I have never heard of one burning out on anybody.

Mine died. Now you have heard of one. :)

My second one still works. Although it rarely gets used.

My Gamecube died too, that's two!

Second one has been fine.

My advice.....Get a Gamecube. There are not many Wii games worth getting right now. The best Wii game (Zelda) is also on the GC. You could probably wait until summer or fall and not miss many Wii games.

If you have any Gameboy Advance games, pick up a Gameboy Player for your Gamecube.

Get a pair of Wavebird controllers. You will need Gamecube controllers to play GC games even if you buy a Wii.

In addition to the previously mentioned games, the Mario Party series (5,6,7) are fun. My kids and I play them once a week at least.

I'd wait, I saw Wii's this morning at a local Wal-Mart and a EB. Just keep looking, but I'd still be buying GC games if I were you since there isn't much yet on the Wii worth playing. Could easily buy 10-15 great GC games and not spend more than you would for 3 or 4 average Wii games.

Unfortunately I would say you would be better off getting a Wii. Nintendo has pretty much stopped development on the Gamecube and any games that were in development were quickly modified to use the Wii motion controllers. I wanted to get Super Paper Mario for the Cube...but of course they scrapped it in favor of the Wii and won't do a seperate version for the Cube now. Sad to say they're changing games that would had been better played on a regular controller for motion controllers.

I'd wait, I saw Wii's this morning at a local Wal-Mart and a EB. Just keep looking, but I'd still be buying GC games if I were you since there isn't much yet on the Wii worth playing. Could easily buy 10-15 great GC games and not spend more than you would for 3 or 4 average Wii games.

i have 9 games that are very much worth my time for the wii, ... i dont quite understand what your saying.

Most people don't consider games like Excitetruck and The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy as great games.

About the only things that have recieved a ton of praise have been Zelda and Wii Play and maybe 1 or 2 others in lesser quantities, everything else is mostly average games and ports.

For those that consider great games to be in the same class as games like Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4 and Wind Waker and so on, games like Ice Age 2: The Meltdown don't qualify for most gamers as great games, just average. Most gamers would agree that 60 bucks is better spent on buying three Players Choice GameCube games like Paper Mario, than 50 bucks for Open Season, I'm surprised it requires an explanation.

And I've excluded the Virtual Console service, I'm talking about games developed for the Wii.

Edited by Atariboy

Killer 7 and Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem are excellent games (M-rated) that can be picked up relatively cheap (under $10 apiece).

The Game Boy Player accessory is worth picking up if you have GBA/GBC/GB games. IMHO, certain games with brightness issues (like Castlevania: Circle of the Moon) play better on that than on a regular Game Boy Advance.

I'll cut an paste my usual recommend list:

Rogue Squadron: Rogue Leader

Wow. As great as Rogue Squadron was for the N64, this game just took it to a whole new level. The battle over Endor was jawdropping.

Super Monkey Ball 1+2

Can't stand the one player mode but one of the finest multiplayer options for the system...the racing, hang-gliding/target, and punch were all nifty in the first game and much improved in the second.

Super Smash Bros Melee

A lot more frenetic than its N64 ancestor...too bad you have so much you have to unlock in one player mode!

Mario Kart Double Dash

Another worthy sequel.

Mario Power Tennis

Another minor improvement over the N64 version, but solid 4-player fun.

Pac-Man Vs

Great fun for dedicated gamers and the non-hardcore alike, using the GBA as a small screen for Pac Man while everyone plays the ghosts.

Luigi's Mansion

A nice short story of a game, with nice show-off-the-system graphics.

WarioWare, Inc

Hee! Short Attention Span Theater for gamers. Could stand more simultaneous minigames, though.

Time Splitters 2

A quality FPS by the same team that brought us Goldeneye on the N64...nice co-op mode.

Metroid Prime

I mostly watched my friend chug through this, but it really captured the mood of the original and made the transition to 3D fairly smoothly.

Honorable Mentions:

StarFox: Armada / Zelda: The Wind Waker / Super Mario Sunshine

Well, for Games, I liked Monkey Ball, Super Smash Bros Melee, Digimon Rumble Arena, StarFox Dinosaur plannet, and Picman. Yeah, probably lame everybody will say, but anyhow, everybody likes different stuff.

There's nothing to worry about on the controller, it's not the best ever, but it's a lot more reliable than the N 64 was, the sticks will last the long haul this time, but the stick click buttons have been removed in favor of an L/R click button instead (which, IMO, is even more useless)

Oh, and if you like older style games, or GameBoy, you HAVE to HAVE the Gameboy Player. Probably the most awesome thing about the cube IMO.

Thanks for all the replies, I ended up getting a platinum cube in the original box, with controller, videocable, AC ps, memory card and 4 games (Metroid Prime, Resident Evil, Zelda Wind Walker, and Tiger woods golf) for $69, which doesn't seem so bad, although I havent actually played it yet because it hasn't arrived.

I will be looking for all the games mentioned. One more question if anyone knows. What is the best place to find low priced games (used or new) for the GC? Ebay, EB Games, Toys R US etc... thanks!!

Thanks again for all the good advice!

-Kev

post-5044-1175527169_thumb.jpg

Edited by kevin242

TRU is a great place to get games cheaply, they often have quiet a few bargin bin games simply cause they cary to much stuff.

But with the Cube, MOST of it's library is actually in the $20 area to start with, so it's a great budget system.

You can shop around online if you decide to go that route. I've bought from eBay in the past but not so much recently. I mostly buy from Amazon.com (especially from their 3rd party "Marketplace" sellers) and have bought a few things from Half.com recently. I even went back to Ebay recently for a few items.

I go to gamestop but I also look around online, there are lots of little website stores that sell used games and new at decent enough prices. Though locally in my area (except for gamestop) they're not so good.

That is a good score on that Platinum system. I bought one new when they came out and paid a lot more.

Definitely recommend a GameBoy player, totally worth it. I got one from Game Crazy (Hollywood Video sub-store) for $40. Makes gameboy games better if you have trouble with the screen, like Video said.

Nathan

Edited by nathanallan