IGNORED

Confessions of a Game Store Clerk

8th lutz

There are several things interesting about the "confessions".

Firstly, there's the utter contempt they have for all their customers. On the other hand, when they describe the average people who come into the store, it's clear that most of their customers are well deserving of that contempt.

Some of their comments about the ignorance of customers very much confirm my own observations. The sad thing is, these totally uninformed people form a huge bulk of purchases.

I guess my favorite game stores break some of the mold established in that article. Frankly, I'm shocked that I haven't been thrown out of any of them for yakking too long about collecting and classic systems.

One of the stores I used to frequent got driven into. Someone backed an SUV into the OKC south Game X Change, and IIRC they backed all the way up to the counter. I was in there a week later and the store had been cleaned up nicely.

For what it's worth, Game X Change employees wear T shirts. I don't know if they wear slacks or jeans with 'em, though (never wanted to look...)

I agree with some of the advice given, though. Frequent one or two stores, and always check them for games first before you go shopping. I'm pretty well known as a collector in a couple of stores around here, and the employees there help me out. They've held games, given me a discount or two, and stuff like that. I think I told them I was just Joe Customer and they didn't have to treat me special or anything, but they went ahead.

That's who I am, though. Joe Customer. The only thing is that I don't act like a jerk in a game store, 'cause I hate it when people act like a jerk to me. That attitude works wonders, too. The other day I was uber angry that the Game Shark I bought didn't work right. I'd bought it from a store I hardly ever visit (a Game Stop), so I did not expect a refund of any kind. This made me angrier.

Before I went into the store, though, I took a few moments to calm down and collect my thoughts. I walked in and a manager greeted me. I calmly explained what was (not) happening and handed her the Game Shark. To my total surprise, she offered me a cash refund, which I took. She asked the typical questions, such as would I like to reserve a new game or system, etc. I did tell her I was holding out for a PSP, but I didn't tell her there was no way on this green earth I'd spend an extra $20 to buy it at Game Stop.

Unfortunately, too many (insert store type here) clerks don't return the courtesy back to you. I visit those stores about once.

Best advice from Joe Customer: Pick a couple of stores to frequent, and treat the employees the way you expect them to treat you.