IGNORED

What's Your "Collecting Fetish"?

Tempest

I have to have a golf game for every system I own.....yeah I know it's sick, especially since I detest golf IRL :)

/T

Golf games are my other favorite. Hot Shots Fore / PS2 is my favorite right now but I put a lot of time in on the previous versions and PGA Tour Golf on the Sega Genesis as well.

Whichever system gets Hot Shots Golf 5 (probably PS3) will be the next system I buy.

@scummdogg - how about you wait to get a Super Noahs 3D Noahs Ark until after I find one :D

@Tempest - I've played Devil World and the Popeye spelling game, both are interesting. I heard Devil World didn't make it here just because of the name, you think they could have just changed it around a little :ponder: It's actually kind of fun to play IIRC.

First party hardware really isn't that off the wall, though. Then again, some people swear by it, and some people swear at it. I swear by it.

Completing the multiplayer options is one of my things. I have to have a second Saturn and the Direct Link for all three of the games that support it. Connecting systems is another thing of mine, especially when the hardware to do so is very limited. The N64 and its Transfer Pak are good examples. I have four Transfer Paks, just in case three friends would like to come over and trade Pokemon.

System upgrades have to be done around here. Someone hand me that Dreamcast DVD unit, please. An XBoarD would be nice, and I want that Expansion Pak. While you're at it, gimme those Galaxy chips for my portables.

@scummdogg - how about you wait to get a Super Noahs 3D Noahs Ark until after I find one :D

@Tempest - I've played Devil World and the Popeye spelling game, both are interesting. I heard Devil World didn't make it here just because of the name, you think they could have just changed it around a little :ponder: It's actually kind of fun to play IIRC.

The Popeye game was actually meant to teach Japanese kids English, so it's obvious as to why it wasn't released here (although it could have been used as a spelling aid I suppose). Devil World never made it out here because of the name, and because it shows devils, bibles, and crosses throughout the game, but they did release it in Europe oddly enough. It is a fun game, very original.

I'm still looking for a copy of the Popeye Spelling game if anyone has one.

Oh and a little bit of trivia. Gumshoe was only released in the US and Europe, Japan never got it even though they developed it. Odd eh?

Tempest

I'd like to think that I have a somewhat ecclectic / scitzophrenic(?) approach to my collecting, but there are certain things that tend to dominate. Also, the rules change based on the media format. For example:

I will turn my nose up at games that are incomplete in the majority of cases. The game has a case, and a place to put the media and a the manual. If they aren't all there I'm typically not buying -- and if I am, I'm not gonna pay a lot for that muffler.

--Exception: Genesis games. I'll buy the loose cart now in hopes of finding the rest later.

I love to collect 'specialized' accessories when I can get them. Especially, light guns and drum controllers, etc. I'm not big on racers, so the steering wheels are not a priority, but getting the Steel Battalion uber controller and a second Taiko drum is.

I don't really want the box for cartridge games. Boxes are bulky, and I'm taking games, in boxes and putting them in boxes... this feels redundnat and since I have space constraints, I'll not specifically go after boxed games. If I wind up with them, I'll keep the box, and in some cases I will collapse them to conserve space (Typically happens with my gameboy collection.) Exception: Genesis games. -- see above.

I REALLY want the instruction book for all of my games. I just feel that a cartridge game is truly incomplete until I have a manual. After that I just don't care as much.

'Greatest Hits' titles don't bug me generally. Yeah, it does interrupt that sea of black, blue or green with a contrary stripe in your collection. I view Greatest hits titles to be oppurtunities to fix any critical bugs in the release -- ot at least that's what _I_ would do if I was in charge.:) The only sticking point is that in a lot of cases, the artwork is stripped out leaving a plain looking disc. But really, you can't look at the artwork while the CD is spinning and the data on the disc is the important bit. When manuals and cover art are also 'cost-savings' that's when I start looking for originals over greatest hits copies.

Stickers and marker must be removed or faded if at all possible. I've shot myself with this obsessive/compulsive behavior in the past. I try to make them look as clean and generic as possible, but there are some practical limits.

Hex.

[ Doesn't remember being this sensitive to smoke... ]

The Popeye game was actually meant to teach Japanese kids English, so it's obvious as to why it wasn't released here (although it could have been used as a spelling aid I suppose).

I'm still looking for a copy of the Popeye Spelling game if anyone has one.

You know what's funny? I either have a copy of that for my FDS or it's on one of my pirate multicarts! I played it and thought, gee - this is an interesting hack of popeye!

Edited by atariman

'Greatest Hits' titles don't bug me generally. Yeah, it does interrupt that sea of black, blue or green with a contrary stripe in your collection. I view Greatest hits titles to be oppurtunities to fix any critical bugs in the release -- ot at least that's what _I_ would do if I was in charge.:) The only sticking point is that in a lot of cases, the artwork is stripped out leaving a plain looking disc. But really, you can't look at the artwork while the CD is spinning and the data on the disc is the important bit. When manuals and cover art are also 'cost-savings' that's when I start looking for originals over greatest hits copies.

When I had the money and time to indulge in PSX collecting, I turned up my nose at GH releases, but learned later that it was kind of a mistake. Not only are the programs sometimes less buggy, but occasionally there are other interesting differences-- different demos, different menus, etc. An extreme example would probably be the player's choice version of GC Pac-Man World 2, which was bundled with Vs. Pac-Man.

I still treat GH releases like stepchildren, filing them in order separated from the originals (kinda like how I keep my Sears releases separated from my Atari and Inty collections), but at least now they're good stepchildren.

The aesthetics of out-of-place packaging colors bug me-- I was ticked when Dreamcast packages switched from white to black.

Edited by Student Driver

Well, I have some non-standard game controllers: Atari trakball, PS2 EyeToy, 4 lightguns for 3 systems (2 Guncon2s), DC fishing controller, Colecovision steering wheel, my latest (& coolest) acquisition is TeeVGolf for the Sega Genesis. It has a sensor pad on the floor & you swing a shorter, specialized club over it. It works w/ EA Sports golf games.

Oh yeah- golf games seem to be important to me too. I try to have at least 1 golf game, in some cases 2, for every system. & I dont even like the REAL game that much.

VCS- golf

Colecovision- ?

Jaguar- ?

800XL- ?

Lynx- Awesome Golf

NES- golf

SNES- Waialae Golf, Hal's Hole-in-One (awesome game!)

7800- once had Ninja Golf :(

Genesis- PGA Tour Golf, PGA Euro Tour, A. Palmer Tourn. Golf

Dreamcast- Tee Off golf

PS- Tiger Woods '99, Hot Shots Golf 2 (had Putter Golf & TECMO World Golf)

PS2- Tiger Woods '03, Swing Away Golf

I also seem to be leaning toward quick puzzle games, where I can have a satifying gaming session in one sitting, since deciding I dont have time/patience to play lengthy 20+ hr "running-around" games anymore.

On a side note, yrs ago when I went to arcades, 99% of my favorites were ATARI games.

Edited by RJ

I actually have another little quirk. I collected all of the original batch of NES games that Nintendo put out, both in Japan and in the US. You know, the ones that had that funky pixel art on them. The US got most of them, but there are several we didn't (two Mahjong games, an Othello type game, a Popeye spelling game, Devil World, and a few others). I don't know why, I just thought they were cool.

I think those are really cool, too. I don't collect boxed NES games though.

593232.jpg

I got a few messages about this, so here it is :D

This is a unlicensed Japanese HuCard, Strip Fighter II by Games Express.

It's just a bad Street Fighter parasite where the girls beat each other with

some very suggestive moves. In between rounds if you win... a full screen

stipper appears.

593232.jpg

I got a few messages about this, so here it is :D

This is a unlicensed Japanese HuCard, Strip Fighter II by Games Express.

It's just a bad Street Fighter parasite where the girls beat each other with

some very suggestive moves. In between rounds if you win... a full screen

stipper appears.

Sound like a must have and I so would not have guessed TG16!

No really, lol, it does. :D Just how many other people will admit that the want a copy too? :P

I'm just pissed off I missed out on that slinky. It went 3$ above my max. I was feeding Bean when the pane Genesis controller ended and I so wanted that too. :x

Edited by Chickybaby

I don't think I have a collecting fetish, other than me going apeshit for 2600, 5200, 7800, SNES, NES, Genesis, SMS, INTV, 32X, and N64 games. Screw CD format........it's all about the cartridge. :D

I do love food-themed games (my favorite being Pressure Cooker, of course). I also love games based off of fast food joints like Yo! Noid, M.C. Kids, etc.

Love NES Capcom games....mainly the MegaMan series

Love Activision 2600 games

To riffraff: A good SMS baseball game is Reggie Jackson's Baseball.....I've spent hours playing that one.

Just had to post a follow-up on this, this weekend yielded me TWO satisfying additions to my religious games fetish. A finally-cheap-enough copy of The Bible Game for X-box ($5) and Spiritual Warfare ($3) on the Genesis! Yess!! Still no Super 3D Noah's Ark though. :(

Just had to post a follow-up on this, this weekend yielded me TWO satisfying additions to my religious games fetish. A finally-cheap-enough copy of The Bible Game for X-box ($5) and Spiritual Warfare ($3) on the Genesis! Yess!! Still no Super 3D Noah's Ark though. :(

I also picked up a copy of the Bible Game for 5 bucks :)

Spiritual Warfare for $3 for the Genesis is a steal man, you didn't happen to get a box with that did you?

Spiritual Warfare for $3 for the Genesis is a steal man, you didn't happen to get a box with that did you?

Sadly, no. It's cart only, but the label's in nice shape at least.

I'm currently collecting every single bit of Atari XL hardware and software I remember my friend owned in 1984. Back then, his 800XL's vast superiority over my pathetic CoCo2 left me with a kind of psychological damage - an empty "cartridge slot" in my brain. I desperately wanted an Atari, but couldn't afford one.

"Well who's laughing now, eh 1984 friend?? I've got everything you've got, so there! That'll teach ya!"

Of course, I have to taunt the imaginary 1984 version of that guy because in 2007, he's probably fat and old and concerned with more important things in life, like mortgage payments, a nagging wife and many ugly children.

Edited by Mr.Amiga500

Infocom, gotta have all softs from Infocom. Need another 10 or so titles.

Barbie, whenever I see a Barbie game cheap, I pick it up.

Also tried to collect every Lucasfilm/Arts, but they still demand a high price even on ebay. Put that on hold for now.

N-Gage, need 2 more titles for completion.

I bought The Bible Game for GBA....sadly for 19.99 when it was new. I actually thought it would be good......i musta been on some kinda happy pill that day. :roll:

I bought The Bible Game for GBA....sadly for 19.99 when it was new. I actually thought it would be good......i musta been on some kinda happy pill that day. :roll:

Actually, i thought the Xbox version at least WAS pretty good. I took it to a friend's house later that day and we played it 4 player for quite a while. I've seen far more high-profile games that were broken and unplayable in spots, at least everything works on this one. And the "Wrath of God!" occurrences are pretty damn hilarious. :) Is the GBA version a port or a completely different game?

i'm not sure......basically you just walk around and stomp on evil thingies and answer easy questions to "save" them.

it was kinda hard to control the character and the game was just plain annoying so i don't remember a whole lot of it other than it sucking hard.

i don't know if it is a port or not.