IGNORED

Is this where Atari collecting is going?

DeusExMachina

I do not think people in our industry will be buying this, I think people in other industries are going to be going after this sort of thing.

You make it sound like Atari collecting is some sort of business venture :ponder:

I was thinking the same thing. :rolling:

The multi-billion dollar industry, called Atari collecting. LOL

The seller is freakin brilliant. The guy realized that Star Wars fans are super picky about only getting graded items. In getting his game graded he found a new market for these people. As far as is this a thing to come. Well the fact the guy was able to get $150 for this tells me that atleast with the 4 Star Wars games you can expect this to start happening on a regular basis from here on out. I still think that 97 percent of Atari 2600 games are safe though from getting graded but I do believe it will spread out to these other games so get ready.

1. Star Wars Jedi Arena

2. Star Wars The Arcade Game

3. Star Wars Death Star Battle

4. Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back

5. Spiderman

6. Superman

7. Halloween

8. Texas Chainsaw Massacre

9. Pete Rose Baseball

These are the games that I believe have forever changed because of this auction.

The buyer was just a dumb ass, sealed Jedi Arena games are a dime a dozen. Anyone can get something graded.

You know I thought the same way when the first Atari 2600 with a synthcart and keyboards sold for $130, but to my surprise it is a pretty common thing to see this sell for $149.99 on a regular basis. :ponder:

Also one more thing Crazyclimber. We know this because we have been in the industry for awhile but to a Star Wars fan who only buys AFA this is a pretty rare occurance. I do not think people in our industry will be buying this, I think people in other industries are going to be going after this sort of thing.

I would have took the 15 seconds to do a completed item check, thats how I would have known :)

Yes but none of them are AFA certified. You would not believe how many AFA Star Wars snobs there are.

I agree Star Wars collectors who are not Atari collectors probably don't realize how common one of these games is but i also agree that maybe they should have took 15 seconds to do a search like Crazy Climber said. I don't think someone elese would have bet him to the buy it now in that little bit of time but then u never know. I am sure there are some brutal Star Wars collectors just like some of us Atari collectors! LOL

I agree Star Wars collectors who are not Atari collectors probably don't realize how common one of these games is but i also agree that maybe they should have took 15 seconds to do a search like Crazy Climber said. I don't think someone elese would have bet him to the buy it now in that little bit of time but then u never know. I am sure there are some brutal Star Wars collectors just like some of us Atari collectors! LOL

Again the game is common but none of those games are AFA certified. And for a Star Wars elitist who see's an AFA 90 which is pretty high for this company, they will buy it. Among Star Wars people there is a demand for AFA stuff. This guy just fufilled the need. Now I do wonder what is going to happen when 5 AFA certified games so up for auction at the same time. Then the percieved rarity of a nr mint Star Wars sealed game may just take a nose dive.

Edited by homerwannabee

Graded stuff is always worth more. AFA or PSA grades of 7 or less actually take away from the value. You can sell something loose as "excelent condition" for more than you could if it was graded AFA or PSA 7. 7 or less is set filler material, 8 and up is the way hardcore collectors go and a 95 to 100 (gold\mint condition) is worth about 3 to 4 times book value of whatever the "stuff" is your collecting. It doesn't matter what hobby, you can think your item "x" is in mint condition all you want, if you have an AFA, PSA or other recognized aprasor grade your item as MINT it's a totally different ball game and when the time comes, if you sell said item your wallet will damn well know the difference between you saying it's mint condition and the AFA saying its mint condtion.

Edited by Shawn Sr.

Again the game is common but none of those games are AFA certified. And for a Star Wars elitist who see's an AFA 90 which is pretty high for this company, they will buy it. Among Star Wars people there is a demand for AFA stuff. This guy just fufilled the need. Now I do wonder what is going to happen when 5 AFA certified games so up for auction at the same time. Then the percieved rarity of a nr mint Star Wars sealed game may just take a nose dive.

If 2 sell for this price I would possibly agree, one is just a fluke though. TCM has always had kind of a crossed fan base, I beleive a TCM fan owns the alternate TCM prototype. Probably just collecting dust in a case, un-dumped :sad: I could see this happening to either of the Wizard games since they are actually rare. Star Wars games are not rare and if the guy would have took the time to find that out I don't think he would have paid this much for it, just my opinion :)

If 2 sell for this price I would possibly agree, one is just a fluke though. TCM has always had kind of a crossed fan base, I beleive a TCM fan owns the alternate TCM prototype. Probably just collecting dust in a case, un-dumped :sad: I could see this happening to either of the Wizard games since they are actually rare. Star Wars games are not rare and if the guy would have took the time to find that out I don't think he would have paid this much for it, just my opinion :)

Interesting, so you don't think grading a game is stupid, you think grading a common game is stupid. What are your thoughts on grading other rare games besides TCM and Halloween :ponder:

Interesting, so you don't think grading a game is stupid, you think grading a common game is stupid. What are your thoughts on grading other rare games besides TCM and Halloween :ponder:

I think when it costs more to grade the game then the actual value of the game it is stupid. This guys only intention was to rip someone off. He knows the game was worth 10 to 20 bucks but knew by grading it he could trick an unsuspecting Star Wars fan into buying it for 10 times the value. At the most 1 or 2 of these will get by before they start talking about it on there message boards and realize it's not a $150 game...not even when profesionally graded. I see no problem with someone who wants to start grading there Atari games but this was intended to be a scam and thats why I think the buyer was stupid :)

Well, at least it's Cloud City - I've always had good dealings with them. Back when I collected SW (before the grad school sell off) I'd NEVER consider buying something graded, as strangely enough, I have no desire to collect plastic boxes... If I want to look at nice SW stuff, I'll take a peek online somewhere - but if I actually want to HOLD and see the stuff closeup (cause it is, after all, about remembering childhood bliss), then I'd buy something I could bloody well OPEN!

I DID have two things authenticated @ Cloud City, however, but that was to assure their value from a trusted source. (One of which was a Red-Caped prototype Bib Fortuna - I bought at a flea market for $20 - and no, not to rip the guy off - at the time I honestly had no idea what it really was - just thought it looked cool. I sold it last month for a grand. I do miss it a little, but it's nice to have food in my belly again.)

Peace,

Andrew

I do not think people in our industry will be buying this, I think people in other industries are going to be going after this sort of thing.

You make it sound like Atari collecting is some sort of business venture :ponder:

In the end, isn't it? The fact that we do this for enjoyment doesn't take away from the fact that we're all engaging in the 'buy/sell/trade' game. Granted, we aren't all so deluded as to try to sell some of our stash for obscene prices. :P

In the end, isn't it? The fact that we do this for enjoyment doesn't take away from the fact that we're all engaging in the 'buy/sell/trade' game. Granted, we aren't all so deluded as to try to sell some of our stash for obscene prices. :P

Uh ..... No! Not all of us. For some of us Atari is a hobby, not a profit making undertaking, which is how you would classify industry.

Uh ..... No! Not all of us. For some of us Atari is a hobby, not a profit making undertaking, which is how you would classify industry.

Point taken. For me, it's just an avenue for affording more atari stuff :D

• 3 weeks later...

Ummmm......how about NO? I'm a collector for the simple reason you HAVE to be to still use an Atari system. You can't walk into Target and buy a copy of Asteroids, so I have to hit the "market" as it were. I get em because I wanna PLAY em, not because I want to COLLECT them( my comic book collection is much prettier to look at, honestly). I am a gamer, and I am a hardcore retro gamer. I go and look for these old games because I loved them, I remember them and I want to play them again. I don't give a damn that my copy of Quadrun is worth whatever, because its the same damned one I had mail order all those years ago. I never WANTED to sell it or even have it valued. It's absolutely priceless to me, because it's maybe my favorite VCS game EVER. Okay, let's put an example on this. From a COLLECTOR market, Frogger:Threedeep is worth many times the original Parker Bros. Frogger cart, but not to me, Threedeep sucks compared to the original. For me,its all about the GAMES,mang.