IGNORED

Another seller using Atari Age images.

Cropsy

Found an item I wanted from this seller with a very familiar looking image. Further investigation shows that all his images are "borrowed" from Atari Age. None of the titles seem rare enough to be worth running a scam for but it's still probably safer to avoid Auctions by "$the_fatman$". You can see all his auctions here.

He lists his ET auction with the subject "This is the rare" so I guess he didn't notice the rarity when he grabbed Atari Ages image of the game ;)

Who cares?  I've used AA images for my eBay auctions in the past (Tooth Protectors, etc) because they're quick and convenient.  If AA has a problem with eBay sellers using their images, then watermark them for God's sake.  Until that happens, continue to use them!

Just because we haven't watermarked our images doesn't give people the right to use them elsewhere on the web. We don't watermark the images because we want people to be able to look at clean versions of the images that aren't obscured. Sure, some people will use them without first asking permission, but overall this hasn't been a big problem.

So you think it's okay to take images from any website and use them somewhere else without first getting permission? Another aspect with eBay auctions is that some people will use the images (as in the case with these auctions) without even saying that the items they are selling do not represent the actual items the winners will receive. Do you think that's okay also?

..Al

Who cares?  I've used AA images for my eBay auctions in the past (Tooth Protectors, etc) because they're quick and convenient.  If AA has a problem with eBay sellers using their images, then watermark them for God's sake.  Until that happens, continue to use them!

Nice. :roll: Besides the fact that the seller didn't ask us if it was okay, I'm sure these buyers will not be pleased if the cartridge that actually arrives in the mail has a torn up label with magic marker all over it.

We don't watermark images because we like to present the a clean image whenever possible. It would be a shame to make everyone else pay because of a few jerks, and I hope it never comes to that. It hasn't been enough of a problem for us to change our policy, but for you to advocate this kind of irresponsible behaviour is sad.

I'm sure these buyers will not be pleased if the cartridge that actually arrives in the mail has a torn up label with magic marker all over it.

I must agree with Alex here. It probably doesn't matter for games like ET, Pacman, or Combat. The sellers might as well just save their money, and just use text.

If I were buying a Tooth Protectors game from Ebay, I sure as hell would like to know the condition of the item that I'm getting, considering I'd be paying about $100 for it.

If you were buying a game from Ebay for this amount of money, wouldn't you like to know the condition of the game you are getting too, Adrian?

:roll: :roll:

Well as long as you are not being SELFISH and are being CONSIDERATE of OTHERS.

Sheesh.

:roll: :roll:

Errm, I must agree, I wouldn't bid on an expensive cart unless I see it's condition. What is the point of looking at the scan for something like Obelix or Music Machine here on atariage.com when in fact the cart might not have a label at all or is in fact a cheap copy ?

Errm, I must agree, I wouldn't bid on an expensive cart unless I see it's condition. What is the point of looking at the scan for something like Obelix or Music Machine here on atariage.com when in fact the cart might not have a label at all or is in fact a cheap copy ?

Um yeah, sure. Anyway, I really like your AVATAR! Being a long time fan of Pac-Man, the pic you are using is awesome! Where did you get it? [/img]

Hey Adrian,

I programmed the graphics engine for Pac-Man World (PS1) and Pac-Man World 2 (PS2 + GC) so I have access to all kinds of Pac-Man related graphics ;)

Take care...

Well then it's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. cpuwiz! I am Adrian M and consider myself a big Pac-Man fan! Did you by chance have anything to do on the upcoming Pac-Man World 2 XBOX port?

Can you provide me with some cool Pac-Man graphics? I could use a new avatar and I really like modern images of Pac-Man.

well at least we now know to avoid adrians auctions  :D

I only use the AA images if I don't feel like getting the Digital camera or if feeling lazy otherwise.

And for the record, my eBay feedback is flawless. Not one negative comment after 3+ years of membership! I only sell good quality goods and my copy of Tooth Protectors was the very item that caused me to join Atariage last summer as I used the data on this site for research and the forum to promote my copy. It sold for over $250, so I had the last laugh on that one! :D

I only use the AA images if I don't feel like getting the Digital camera or if feeling lazy otherwise.  

And for the record, my eBay feedback is flawless.  Not one negative comment after 3+ years of membership!  I only sell good quality goods and my copy of Tooth Protectors was the very item that caused me to join Atariage last summer as I used the data on this site for research and the forum to promote my copy.

I'm leaning a little more towards your side Adrian, but only because you have so much positive feedback. If you have proven yourself time and time again as being a trustworthy seller, using images other than the actual product could be more "tolerated".

However, if some hypothetical seller has only like 20 positive feedback, and maybe some negative feedback in there too...and they insist on always using other images for their auctions, this is just not right!

I find it very suspicious if I see a seller with a 20 or less feedback selling a rare cart for over $100, and doesn't have an authentic image of it.

Buyers should always beware of course, and if I wanted to be extra careful, maybe I'd always bid on products from sellers that have over a 100 positive feedback.

I wish you well on your auctions and am glad you did good with the TP game so I am not sure about that last laugh comment ( I didn't realize you were tryin to one-up someone). I simply feel it is very important to provide an REAL LIFE photo of the item up for auction or at the very least give note that this is not the actual game for bids and to not have the common courtesy to ask permission to use the photos is not good business or ethical. I to have also sold to most members of this board and I think they will tell you i am a Very good seller to deal with. You have a different opinion and that is what makes the world go round I wasn't saying you are a BAD seller , just one that I choose no to deal with. Good luck in the future on your auctions.

Tomyou,

Perhaps you should buy something small from Adrian to prove to yourself whether or not he's a good seller. Maybe like a $5 item?

Adrian seems to be very knowledgable about computing in general, as I've read many of his previous posts on all sorts of message boards and topics.

Adrian,

I sense a subtle hostility in many of your posts, but I can't quite figure out what it is about, or who it is aimed at. This is just a general sense I get when I read your posts. What's up? Have you had bad dealings with people on Ebay, or in the business world in general? I can tell you are generally upset at something?!

You know, I've about had it with this "another" seller junk...if it's "another" seller, that means you're referring to me as the previous seller, as I made that mistake and paid for it dearly in terms of dollars and cents and general membership recognition of the fact that I fouled up, although I admitted it and closed down the auctions. Did this person do the same thing and close down his auctions ? Hardly ! I may be a bit touchy on this subject, as since this episode I've purchased a good scanner and digital camera, no small expense; and Mr Phil has had a few good laughs at my bad experiences, but, that's humor, right ? Right ? Okay.

But stop this "another" junk. I made a mistake and admitted to it. How often do you see this ? Like very rarely ? Yes, you're on the right track.

I do not advocate using scans of anything that does not depict the actual item/s being sold. I disagree that it's okay in some cases. AA has given so many people the opportunity to see what the REAL carts look like, and no one should be using these for their auctions, I do agree with you on this. Make your own scans, take your own pics; what's so hard about that ? Give the buyer exactly what he's looking at.

Just my 2 cents of what I have left :):) !!!!!

Take care all; things are important, but there's a real world out there too.

zraider, I don't think anyone was referring to you in particular. If you hadn't posted I wouldn't have even known you had done that (I don't dwell on this type of thing). This has happened quite a few times, and the reference to "another" was rather general I think. Don't sweat it.

Zraider:

The use of the word "Another" in my title was NOT a reference to you. It was a reference to the fact that this was not the first time a person has used Atari Age's images in an auction.

I was using "another" in its dictionary correct manner not as a veiled reference to you.

Yup, the XBOX version is in QA right now, it's 99% complete. I can't believe you stole my Avatar, I'll find you a different one  :roll:

I didn't mean to steal it, honest! :ponder:

I was messing around with the profile options and decided to change my avatar. As a test, I used a copy of your cool Pac-Man avatar and then nothing happened until I posted again. Apparently it seems to work!

Can't wait for Pac-Man World 2 for the MICROSOFT XBOX!

How was it working on the XBOX? PRetty easy?