IGNORED

Any other color blind Wii owners out there?

dalton4life

I'm color blind. I'm actually red/green color deficient to be more exact. Sometimes it's an issue with gaming, but with Wii it's pretty annoying. I can't tell if the Wii is on and off by just looking at the console due to someone's stupid decision to use yellow and orange as the colors of for the LED power light. I came up with a solution. Put a red filter over it and you can tell the difference even if you're color blind.

I'm color blind. I'm actually red/green color deficient to be more exact. Sometimes it's an issue with gaming, but with Wii it's pretty annoying. I can't tell if the Wii is on and off by just looking at the console due to someone's stupid decision to use yellow and orange as the colors of for the LED power light. I came up with a solution. Put a red filter over it and you can tell the difference even if you're color blind.

I'll have to give that a try, I didn't realize the light changed colors!. I agree there are some games that are near impossible to play due to color requirements, or shades. I never got very far in Halo until I bought a new HD TV and then I was able to see things that on my old TV just blended in with the background.

Well I knew it change colors, because my wife told me. My color blindness was really put in my face when I 1st move in with her before we were married. She would point out various color related things that I never picked up on, because I coudn't. I was playing around with some 3D glasses and noticed I could tell the difference on the Wii through the red filter. HDTV does help, but still I can't make a lot of things in games that aren't colorblind friendly. I can't even think about playing Super Puzzle Fighter.

Edited by dalton4life

Actually....you shouldn't need the filter at all...!

The Wii's light is orange when off and in standby mode. It is RED when it is off completely. It is Green when it is running normally.

I too am color blind, but mainly the blues/greens hose me up. I see darker blue colors as more black...and lighter greens as grey. I wasn't aware of this until I enlisted in the Army back in the early 90s. During the initial physical...they give you a color blindness test. I apparently did pretty badly because I missed like 13 out of 15 of the test cards. Anyway, my color blindness hasn't been an issue in the electronics fields I worked in since. Course, I also don't openly admit my colorblindness since I'm not still convinced that I'm even that color blind at all.

Just checked to make sure. And yeap...it is orange when off and you have standby and Wiiconnect24 enabled. It will be Red when you have it off completely, and it will light Green when on normally. The ONLY colors I could see being a problem even for the most colorblind of individuals is with the orange/green combo. Because those have the same intensity of brightness. The Red is very easy to see the difference as it is more subdued in its intensity. If you are as colorblind as you stated, then I'm not sure you should even be driving a car...

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

It's different for of with red/green. The Wii light looks the same at all time. Red, yellow and orange light all looks the same to us. There's a few types. Blue/yellow is actually vary rare. This only thing more rare would be true black and white color blindness. This is a great site to give an idea of how people with the different types of color blindness see.

http://www.vischeck.com/examples/

Edited by dalton4life

I have this problem with my DS. I can never tell if it's battery is dying or not, but my fiancee says the color of the light is different when it needs charging. And trust me, you guys don't have it too bad: I'm colour blind in the one eye I have that works. I'm largely blind in one eye, so not only am I colour blind, but even if a system like the virtual boy were produced again, it'd be useless to me as I have no depth perception.

On a related note, I hate when subtle colour differences are important to a game. I know Meteos is totally unplayable to me. One thing I ask is that if any homebrew authours read this, please don't make games where it is important to be able to tell between say, purple and blue, or brown and green, or some freaky yellow and anything.

Edited by Atarifever

I have this problem with my DS. I can never tell if it's battery is dying or not, but my fiancee says the color of the light is different when it needs charging. And trust me, you guys don't have it too bad: I'm colour blind in the one eye I have that works. I'm largely blind in one eye, so not only am I colour blind, but even if a system like the virtual boy were produced again, it'd be useless to me as I have no depth perception.

On a related note, I hate when subtle colour differences are important to a game. I know Meteos is totally unplayable to me. One thing I ask is that if any homebrew authours read this, please don't make games where it is important to be able to tell between say, purple and blue, or brown and green, or some freaky yellow and anything.

Oh that really sucks Atarifever and it's a bit of bitter irony for you. Virtual Boy was unplayable to most normal color visioned people in large part because of the strain all the red light put on their eyes. However, if you are red/green color blind it doesn't affect you and you can play it for honors on end.

well..Now I'm way more confused than ever. This is No lie. I just took at a look at the pics on that site with the Earth, and the Hats..etc. Here is what I see in the phots.

Earth Pics:

First pic looks fairly normal to me.

Second pic looks nearly the same, except that where the green was on the first pic, I now see brown. Also the blue might be a tad lighter on the seconf pic..but it looks basically the same.

On the third pic what I see is mainly just hues of grey. Light grey for most of the land, and a darker grey or even possibly a bluegreen like color for the ocean.

The hats..

First pic is easy to see. Yellow, Bright Orange, Green, Pink, and Blue

Second pic I see the Yello, olive green, olive green, olive green. Blue

Third pic looks exactly the same.

The pic with the 3...forget that crap. I don't see the Three in either picture. But I can see a clear difference in colors between the two pictures.

The pictures with the flowers is semi pointless. Too much going on. But the 2nd and 3rd picks look some Photoshop filter was used on them.

So I guess I might have a combo of colorblindness just about all hues if I seeing this pics correctly, minus the black/white stuff. Ehh..I don't know. The Army first said I was Red/Green defecient and then stated it had to be Blue/Yellow deficient. But I can basically make out the hues of colors as needed no problem. It is only when certain combos of colors are put together that I begin to have difficulty.

As an example, lets use the Earth pics again. I told you I see a normal looking pic in the first one and where the green was in the first one, I see brown in the second pic. But a female family member tells me that the color I see as brown, is in fact Yellow?! I see the yellows on the left hand edges of the continents..but the green is literally replaced by a brown there to my eyes. Too strange...

Luckily it this doesn't cause me any normal issues in day to day life and only have to arugue about colors with other people occasionally.

Either way, I have NO trouble seeing the difference between the Red (Off Status) and Amber (Standby status).

well..Now I'm way more confused than ever. This is No lie. I just took at a look at the pics on that site with the Earth, and the Hats..etc. Here is what I see in the phots.

Earth Pics:

First pic looks fairly normal to me.

Second pic looks nearly the same, except that where the green was on the first pic, I now see brown. Also the blue might be a tad lighter on the seconf pic..but it looks basically the same.

On the third pic what I see is mainly just hues of grey. Light grey for most of the land, and a darker grey or even possibly a bluegreen like color for the ocean.

The hats..

First pic is easy to see. Yellow, Bright Orange, Green, Pink, and Blue

Second pic I see the Yello, olive green, olive green, olive green. Blue

Third pic looks exactly the same.

The pic with the 3...forget that crap. I don't see the Three in either picture. But I can see a clear difference in colors between the two pictures.

The pictures with the flowers is semi pointless. Too much going on. But the 2nd and 3rd picks look some Photoshop filter was used on them.

So I guess I might have a combo of colorblindness just about all hues if I seeing this pics correctly, minus the black/white stuff. Ehh..I don't know. The Army first said I was Red/Green defecient and then stated it had to be Blue/Yellow deficient. But I can basically make out the hues of colors as needed no problem. It is only when certain combos of colors are put together that I begin to have difficulty.

As an example, lets use the Earth pics again. I told you I see a normal looking pic in the first one and where the green was in the first one, I see brown in the second pic. But a female family member tells me that the color I see as brown, is in fact Yellow?! I see the yellows on the left hand edges of the continents..but the green is literally replaced by a brown there to my eyes. Too strange...

Luckily it this doesn't cause me any normal issues in day to day life and only have to arugue about colors with other people occasionally.

Either way, I have NO trouble seeing the difference between the Red (Off Status) and Amber (Standby status).

I'm having similar results to you. I;ve seen charts like that that work though, so maybe it's the computer monitors. By the way my fellow colour blind friends, I was the teaching assistant in a perception class for a few years, and colour blindness was a big part of the curriculum. Did you know some of us see into the infrared? Yeah, take that colour sighted bitches. Sure, it's very modest (like you won't see the light on the top of your remote), but still it's something. It's because of the way the wavelengths we see are shifted, not simply missing. By the way, technically we're colour weak. Colour blind people only see black and white, and mostly that only happens in people with genetic defects that lead to other problems like Down's Syndrome.

Which of you guys are the crazy dichromats? You'll know who you are if you have really, really, really bad colour perception. Like, I can't tell blue from purple a lot of the time, but I know sure as fuck neither of those is neon orange. Dichromats on te other hand might not see it that way. Just so you all know, neither of those things is wrong. Blue isn't actually blue anymore than it's dark yellow. It's all based on the three crazy types of chemicals in our eyes, and if we all had 2, or 1, or 4, we'd see everything differently.