IGNORED

PS3 HDMI cables $29.99 at Target YMMV

CGQuarterly

I went to Target today and in the clearance section I saw 4 of the Sony-branded HDMI cables for the PS3 marked down from $59.99 to $29.99. I don't know if that's a good deal or if you can find them at that price anywhere or what, but it might be worth checking out if you have a PS3 and are in the market for an HDMI cable.

Chris

I went to Target today and in the clearance section I saw 4 of the Sony-branded HDMI cables for the PS3 marked down from $59.99 to $29.99. I don't know if that's a good deal or if you can find them at that price anywhere or what, but it might be worth checking out if you have a PS3 and are in the market for an HDMI cable.

Chris

HDMI cables for $29.99 from a B & M store isn't bad at all. But you can go to several web sites and find them much cheaper. I go to monoprice.com, but there are other places out there.

Yep, Monoprice is GREAT. Got an 8ft HDMI cable for $8.57 including shipping. Also bought an 8ft HDMI to DVI cable for $10.23 including shipping. Much, much cheaper than Best Buy or Circuit City, who charge $90 to $120 for the same type of cables.

Mendon

• 2 months later...

I am just gathering all my money for the system and I realize that I will want the cables. I read that the ps3 outputs 1080p, and most of these discount cabels give 1080i picture. I want to get the best possible picture at the cheapest possible price as soon as I get the system (hopefully this week or next) Can anyone help me with this?

A regular HDMI cable will work. It does not have to be labelled as working with the PS3. Cause that is all it is just a regular 'ol HDMI cable.

I picked up mine for $15 somwhere (Kmart, I think).

Anyways don't let the advertising fool you. One HDMI cable is as good as the next and the ALL are capable of 1080i or 1080p. The PS3 is perfectly capable of outputting at 1080i in fact that is what I have mine set for since my HDTV tv does not support 1080p.

Monospace is good, although generally I purchase cables at RiteAV.com. For instance, they have 6' HDMI cables for only $4.59, and their shipping is very reasonable (and free shipping for orders over $90).

http://www.riteav.com/index.php?cPath=47_4...7c15e97fb1f11a7

To add a bit of complexity to this discussion, there are multiple HDMI standards, mainly to support additional bandwidth:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

I am using a 5-port HDMI switch that I got from Monoprice.com very inexpensively. Presently I am using it to connect a DVD player, Mac Mini, and DIRECTV receiver to my projector. Unfortunately I do not have any HDMI game consoles (PS3 or Xbox 360) yet.

..Al

I just found this article that really sums up the expensive cables being a waste of cash

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/2827

They really are, especially for hdmi and dvi cables which transmit digitally. That means no signal-to-noise ratio, just noise margin. If your margin is enough to pass the bits, that's all that matters. Someone on the net even found out that dirt cheap cat-5 cable works fine for hdmi, as long as you put the proper connectors at each end.

When USB-1 (max 12Mb/s) came out, some dealers were selling premium cables and all their advertising made people think they needed those special cables, and if a cheap cable worked, it was probably right on the edge. Then USB-2 (max 480Mb/s) came out and the same cheap cables STILL worked.

Sorry, you brought up one of my touchy subjects.