IGNORED

Reflective vs Backlit LCD screens

Spector

Playing the Gameboy Color, I notice just how good the picture looks when playing outside as it has a reflective LCD screen display, just like the original 1989 GB had. Playing the Lynx, I find that it's very difficult to get an easy to see picture when playing in daylight, as the natural light just obscures the LCD display while highlighting the dust on the screen itself. As Led Zeppelin said all those years ago, "it makes me wonder..."

I wonder why Atari didn't make the Lynx with a reflective LCD display instead. It would allow you to play the thing outside, and isn't that the whole point of portable gaming? Because on a really sunny day, it's hopeless trying to see the screen. It would also massively save on battery life. I think this was one of the reasons the Gameboy won - despite the low tech display, it works better in outdoor conditions.

So why do you think the Lynx was designed without the more flexible (and economical) reflective LCD technology?

I always wondered about the screen and the whole point of even turning off the light. When I turn out the light, I see NOTHING. therefore, I always assumed that it was a wasted option on the Lynx.

I seem to recall the intention of allowing the backlight to

be turned off was to save battery power, when you need

to pause the game, and step away from the lynx a while.

The backlight button is really mislabeled, as it doesn't turn off the backlight...it turns off the screen altogether. And yes, the point is to save battery power when paused, which once again makes the button label misleading.

I believe it only turns off the backlight. But it is true that you cannot see anything on the screen when the backlight is turned off. So it really may turn off the screen also.

I had some thoughts of making a slide-screen Lynx. The idea is to assemble the LCD outside the Lynx so that you could slide it over the top of the Lynx and let the sun shine through it.

--

Karri

I would think if it turned off the backlight and not the screen itself, the result would be something like the original Gameboy or GBA screens - there's an image there, but without a backlight you'll need to be in direct sunlight to see it. When you press the backlight button on the Lynx, the screen goes off altogether. Even in bright, direct light there's absolutely nothing you can see on the screen.

I would think if it turned off the backlight and not the screen itself, the result would be something like the original Gameboy or GBA screens - there's an image there, but without a backlight you'll need to be in direct sunlight to see it. When you press the backlight button on the Lynx, the screen goes off altogether. Even in bright, direct light there's absolutely nothing you can see on the screen.

When I look at my Lynx I in bright direct sunlight, I don't see anything either. Does anyone play the Lynx outside? I can't, because the screen image is too dark.

"Wherever you are, in sun country, on the beach, or at the ballpark, you can still enjoy the rich full, color entertainment of your portable Lynx Video Game System.

Just snap the specially designed Sun Visor onto your Lynx to protect the vivid colors of the system's extensive 4,096 color palette. The unique sun shade permits the Lynx's high resolution graphics to remain sharp and clear.

After you turn your lynx off, simply fold down the visor and it becomes a perfect cover to protect the polished liquid crystal screen against the hard knocks and scratches of portable use." :cool:

post-1445-1179539013_thumb.jpg

I really like my sun visor. My first few Lynxes got a bunch of light scratches on the screen just from me putting it in and out of the pouch. Then I got a screen visor with my latest one, which I've had for a good 12 years, and there isn't a single scratch on it to this day.

I really like my sun visor. My first few Lynxes got a bunch of light scratches on the screen just from me putting it in and out of the pouch. Then I got a screen visor with my latest one, which I've had for a good 12 years, and there isn't a single scratch on it to this day.

Does the visor fit on a Lynx I?

What is really needed is a mod, that can allow for a new screen to be fitted :P It's just tackling the resolution and video conversion issues with a new screen type. Would double battery life and allow for a crisper picture and better screen refresh rate. I'd pay for that kind of mod.

Does the visor fit on a Lynx I?

There is two different versions of the sun visor. Didn't you see my excellent picture? :P

I thought the other picture was the instruction booklet, being black and white, but there you go. I'd like to get one of those.

To be able to see the lynx screen in the sun, you would need to fit reflective backing behind the screen. However, the screen itself does block alot of light, similar to a welding mask. You would need a new screen in my opinion.

Doesnt really bother me not being able to play in the sun, beacause there are plenty of other things to do in fine weather. :cool: