IGNORED

(Insert stupid Blog name here) - One and Only

RSS Bot

About a month before passing away last Summer, Maynard Ferguson recorded what turned out to be his last album. It's just been released, and is now available exclusively through Maynard's website.

1andonlymf.jpg

I was rather disappointed with his previous album, MF Horn VI: Live at Ronnie's. Of course, recording live albums is always hit-or-miss. However, since that album was recorded, Maynard had gotten into better shape physically, and his playing had improved dramatically, according to those fortunate enough to hear him in concert during the last year of his life. I missed my chance. Just about one year ago in fact, when he last played in L.A.

Here's a piece of advice for you... if you're thinking of going to see a concert, and it seems a little inconvenient at the time... go anyway. You never know when it's going to be your last chance.

The One and Only Maynard Ferguson (which is how he was introduced at his concerts) is an excellent album, and a fitting finale for such a long and storied career. It's some of Maynard's best playing in years, and the band he assembled for it (consisting of alumni and current touring band members) is first-rate. The band sounds fuller than with some of his recent albums (he'd been touring with a scaled-down big band since the early 90's), yet remains tight and focused during the ensemble sections. There's great soloing throughout, including some impressive work by Maynard. Not just his "usual" stratospheric stunt-work, either (which isn't just remarkable for someone who was 78 at the time - it's remarkable for any trumpet player), but also some really nice, laid-back ballad work, particularly in "Vita Bella", and the closing number "Darn That Dream".

Besides several new tunes, there are some exceptional and innovative arrangements of standards such as "Besame Mucho", "The Days of Wine and Roses", and "Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone", which really point to Maynard's abilities to always find the most talented composers and arrangers to work with.

Of course, I'm always going to be somewhat biased towards Maynard's music, but I'm delighted that this last album is so good. Maynard hasn't always put out top-notch work (in fact there are couple albums of his which are borderline unlistenable), but this shines as a thoroughly enjoyable big-band jazz album, that any fan of the genre can enjoy.

The liner notes, written by members of the band, also serve as a nice tribute to "The Boss" (as Maynard was affectionately known). Between that and the photos taken during the recording session, you almost get the feeling of actually being there while listening to the CD. Clearly, a good time was had by all.

In the dedication, written by his daughters, this line sums it all up: "For him it wasn't his last. It was going to be one of his best."

10/10. What else could I give it?

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=3335