IGNORED

robin hood / sir lancelot xonox double ender

pis

Hi, im wondering if there are two diffrent labels on the PAL version of robin hood / sir lancelot cart from xonox, or are one of these pics of a ntsc cart ? Both the pics are listed as PAL, one is from atari mania and the other retroview. post-13033-1179452943_thumb.jpgpost-13033-1179452963_thumb.jpg

The question is : are they both pal or is one ntsc ? I got the one (pic2) that atari mania has a pic of and im pretty shure its pal (i would not mind if it is ntsc though :) ).

Edited by pis

Xonox was a division of K-tel, same with Bomb. When a company is that big they probably mix/matched all kinds of parts including stickers.

And Ktel was a division of Goliath/Bitcorp, I believe. There must have been one factory in Taiwan pumping out all these pirated games :ponder:

Xonox was a division of K-tel, same with Bomb. When a company is that big they probably mix/matched all kinds of parts including stickers.

And Ktel was a division of Goliath/Bitcorp, I believe. There must have been one factory in Taiwan pumping out all these pirated games :ponder:

I wonder if that can be true. K-Tel was/is also a record company. I've got two hit sampler tapes by them from 1978 and 1982, and they also had LP's... I've got one called "Disco Dance" where a Hungarian orchestra plays instrumental versions of Disco classics like "Y.M.C.A.", and I also had two Smurf LP's by them, that were popular here in Austria in the early 80's.

In contrast to that, I never heard of Goliath outside the Atari 2600 world, whereas Bit Corp. also produced hardware... I can remember the Bit 60, which was a computer based on the Atari 2600, and the Bit 90, a computer based on the Colecovision. Both of them were able to play the carts for the game system they were based on.

I've never seen one of those computers, but at least the Bit 90 was reviewed in a computer mag back then, and I also saw a listing for it which revealed that its BASIC was very similar to that of the TI-99 in terms of graphics commands.

So, I don't think K-Tel could have been a division of Bit Corp. or vice-versa. I think it's a similar situation like with the budget tapes where companies bought each other's cover tracks to release them. I've got about 20 tapes and LP's with cover versions by different companies, and in many cases, where there are duplicates, you'll hear the same cover version although it's been released by a different company, though there are also songs with different versions. For instance, I've got an LP "Hits for young people" by Europa and a tape called "Internationale Hitparade" by Jackson. On them, there's the same cover version of "Baby it's you" by the Promises, but two different versions of "In the navy" by Village People.

So, it may have been a similar thing with K-Tel, Goliath, Bit Corp. and Hot Shot. K-Tel had its records in all the department stores and probably found ways to put video games there too under their name. Bit Corp. may have gone for the computer stores where their hardware also was found. And the other two names... well, that may be the actual names of the companies who did the games. Probably, we'll never know... best bet is to look at the screen. Some screens show "Bit Corp.", some show "Goliath" and some show "K-Tel" (like the title screen of "It's only Rock'n'Roll").

And who's to say that K-Tel Software has anything to do with K-Tel Vision?

K-Tel basically rebranded and imported a ton of different stuff I think, and records and Atari 2600 carts were among them. Not sure exactly what they did though.

If it helps any, I know that some of the people who have been involved with the company are still contactable - check out record websites and forums, such as www.recordcollectorsguild.org, as K-Tel are a well-known brand in the world of LPs I think. 99% sure it's the same company though.

Incidentally, you'll also notice that "Carrere" (who brand the PAL versions of US Games) are also a record label - same font and label style on vinyl as their carts. And I believe that Carrere games were distributed by K-Tel....

• 15 years later...

Sorry to bump a 15 year old thread, but it is the one Google knows about! Sir Lancelot is one of the 2600 carts I don’t have that I really want, as it is as close to Pegasus and the Phantom Riders as I can get until I get my CoCo sorted. 

So when I spotted this diagonally laid out cart on Facebook marketplace and found this thread on Google I got all excited:

DBE65ACA-2DB3-4E8E-8E0A-43C380FCBBE3.thumb.jpeg.6ae300758cbe63a2f8c249edc6f92da1.jpeg

But alas and alack! When I actually read the description, I learned that it appears to be the PAL version according to the seller:

54A484C1-9AA7-4107-BD34-B021BDA3B529.thumb.jpeg.2195f976d612bd52a7cb99155637f4ae.jpeg

So I guess this is the example that proves the rule ?

I believe an NTSC version of the game must exist but I've never seen one myself for NTSC. I own the cart but it is in a light grey colored shell and it is most definitely the PAL version. Mine is the single ender.

• Like 1