IGNORED

1200XL Owners Club (serial tracker)

kheller2

12 hours ago, ldelsarte said:

Hello @kheller2

I don't know where to upload my serial numbers.

I'm in Europe, I just own 2 1200XL:

http://www.atari800xl.eu/hardware/computers/atari-1200xl.html

Here are the serial numbers:

FCC ID BPA83S1200, Made in USA, 83S DA 53211 163
FCC ID BPA72R1200, Made in Taiwan, 72R DA 00331 143

Added the 2nd one, already had the first listed.  I tend to scan the Internet for pictures at times and found it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My serial number is already on the spreadsheet, but the build date in the spreadsheet is different from that on the label on my motherboard.  Either an error on the sheet or a motherboard swap?

SN: 72R DA 21038 233

MB label: May 5, 1983

IMG_E0969.JPG

IMG_0971.JPG

Edited by jamm

38 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

Why do you believe this to be in error?  That is only few weeks apart from motherboard and case.  I don't think the inside stickers would ever match the outside ones.

I think I misunderstood the "date" column in the spreadsheet and assumed that was the motherboard sticker date.

So what is the "TK Collection"?

3 minutes ago, jamm said:

I think I misunderstood the "date" column in the spreadsheet and assumed that was the motherboard sticker date.

The date in the spreadsheet is from the serial number label, which is available without opening the case. The serial number date on yours is 233, this means 23rd week of 1983 which is in early June. 

The label on the motherboard would indicate when it was completed, but Atari may have had to wait for cases/keyboards to do final assembly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jamm said:

So what is the "TK Collection"?

Mr. Timothy Kline at one point had "adopted" as many as fifty-seven 1200XLs in the short span of less than three years, so the legend goes.   Life had tossed him a few curve balls last year and he needed to sell off the majority of his units.  They all went to loving homes.

50 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

Mr. Timothy Kline at one point had "adopted" as many as fifty-seven 1200XLs in the short span of less than three years, so the legend goes.   Life had tossed him a few curve balls last year and he needed to sell off the majority of his units.  They all went to loving homes.

I'm still wondering who the previous owner of mine was, it said it was an estate sale, had some weird switch that I still don't know the purpose of (I temporarily re-purposed it for the SuperVideo 2.1 mod, though it seems if I have it 'off' I can freely switch between s-video and composite, but it turns composite off if I have it in either of the other two positions...) also had a RamboXL memory upgrade.

Other than those two things, it seemed stock enough.  Guess I should figure out if the R-Tme 8 cart that came with it works too.

I really like the 1200, would have been awesome to have an LCD screen with the same style frame to sit on top of it.. Maybe I'll get bored one day and make a shell / frame for my Dell 2007FP I have it hooked up to!  The base is big enough I think to fit the stand...

A couple of updates, I installed a SOPHIA RGB board in my 1200XL a couple months ago so I don't have to worry about the lack of S-video output. Also, can I be listed as the previous owner for Guitarman's unit right above mine in the list? That was the original one I owned from January 2009 up to April 2010 when I traded it to Guitarman.

17 hours ago, leech said:

Other than those two things, it seemed stock enough.  Guess I should figure out if the R-Tme 8 cart that came with it works too.

The R-Time-8 probably needs a new battery, most originally came with the battery soldered to the PCB, when replacing I recommend installing a coin cell battery holder if you can find one with the correct pin spacing.

The picture below shows R-Time 8 cartridges with both:

RT8-internal.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BillC said:

The R-Time-8 probably needs a new battery, most originally came with the battery soldered to the PCB, when replacing I recommend installing a coin cell battery holder if you can find one with the correct pin spacing.

The picture below shows R-Time 8 cartridges with both:

RT8-internal.jpg

Cool, this what I have in mine.  Definitely time to find a coin holder for it.

20200405_122148.jpg

gah!!!! you broke the top two pegs that hold the cart together....  always open these oss/icd carts from the top slightly first and then try to open the rest evenly using a couple of (that's 2) stiff bank/credit cards at the same time, they don't damage the plastic in any way and open it with a simple push evenly and at the same time.. it separates them nicely with no breakage every time....

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, leech said:

Cool, this what I have in mine.  Definitely time to find a coin holder for it.

They come with 2430 batteries, 2032 are more common and less expensive but won't last as long. Long life isn't as important if it's easily replacable.

8 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

gah!!!! you broke the top two pegs that hold the cart together....  always open these oss/icd carts from the top slightly first and then try to open the rest evenly using a couple of (that's 2) stiff bank/credit cards at the same time, they don't damage the plastic in any way and open it with a simple push evenly and at the same time.. it separates them nicely with no breakage every time....

I know, I cried a little when I did that the other day!  Fortunately the two bottom ones seem to still hold it together well enough, though I have not tried to put a cart on top of it yet. 

I tried to slowly pry it up, then it came up too fast and then I saw why.  Granted at this point it could have been broken before.  That way I feel like I didn't do it.  ?  I ordered some CR2430s and some coin holders.  But of course I have to hope they are low profile enough to fit.  If someone wants the extras, let me know, as I had to order a 5 pack of the coin holders, and ended up ordering a 10 pack of the batteries.

8 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

Another 1200XL added today.  I also noticed that eBay is once again selling replacement keyboards for the awesome price of $99.  I so remember the days when you went into a Radio Shack and they had them on clearance for $4.99.

yes and they sold for about the same on ebay….   they won't get the 99.00 though... at that price you have too many other choices and solution to choose.