IGNORED

1200XL Owners Club (serial tracker)

kheller2

• 1 month later...

I got my 1200XL back when they were first being sold, in 1983 (could it have been 1982? I can never remember! probably not; I think that's when I got my brother's hand-me-down Timex Sinclair 1000 when he got his Commodore 64)

Anyway, in the mid-to-late 1990s, I handed it off to Bob Woolley for some hacking, as well as to fix the keyboard. I lost track of Bob for a few years, and finally a couple of years ago he gave me a 512KB 1200XL with some wacky OS. I didn't like it much, and implored him to find my original 1200XL. It occurred to me that if he looked for wear-and-tear on the keyboard (my nails really dug into the CONTROL key), he'd find it. A little digging around comp.sys.atari.8bit for posts I made back in the day provided other hints (e.g., 800XL+800 switchable OS, S-video upgrade, and RamboXL 256KB that he had added for me previously).

This past weekend, I got mine back! Sadly, and unsurprisingly (and in a way, further proof that this is MY Atari from when I was a kid), the sticker on the bottom is all worn (photo:

), but here's what I can read of it

:)

??? DA 24849 253

It was made in Taiwan. It was purchase somewhere in Marin county (maybe San Rafael? I remember poking at an 800XL and being unimpressed at a department store; not sure if it was Emporium, Montgomery Wards or Sears), lived in Novato, CA for a long time, moved up to college with me in the mid-1990s (Rohnert Park, CA), and is now finally back with me, here in Davis, CA. :)

• 2 months later...

At the Seattle Retro Game Expo, I bought two 1200XLs from FastRobPlus. Thanks Rob!

One is over at a friend's place. A stock 1200XL minty fresh in the box. I will post the serial number when I get it back.

The second has an 800XL OS and a 512KB expansion. S/N: Taiwan 72R DA 16022 213

Hello kheller2 ?

Is possible for you to pin point name of city & factory name and if it is possible address that made in Taiwan and USA ? In USA, I think in Fremont , CA ? Right ?

I thought Sunnyvale was the US manufacturing plant, that is the location listed on the 400/800 serial number labels. I found the the following webpage with a map of the Atari building locations in Sunnyvale.

http://www.atarigame...-memos&Itemid=5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oops, I meant to say +12 volts mod, obviously +5v is already connected...

There are very few peripherals which use +12V since the 400/800 were the only models that supplied it. The 1200XL does need R63 replaced with a jumper to allow use with most SIO powered +5V peripherals.

Oops, I meant to say +12 volts mod, obviously +5v is already connected...

There are very few peripherals which use +12V since the 400/800 were the only models that supplied it. The 1200XL does need R63 replaced with a jumper to allow use with most SIO powered +5V peripherals.

Thank you for the info Bill, on another thread I've been told that +5 v is connected but with limited current due to R63. The reason i was confused at the beginning was an article I've read. It said "1200XL lacks the +5v on SIO pin 10", which is apparently not exactly the case. Seeing that article first thing I did was to check the SIO 10 pin for 5v and found that it's there (I just didn't measure the current :)) I will now remove the resistor. I have a few 0.5 Ohm resistors, I guess those will do instead of a jumper wire?

Edited by atari8warez

I use 1 ohm resistors. A 50ma load (a resonable maximum) will then drop .05 volts - not a problem. If you were doing things internally (reducing current requiements) and you needed more current for SIO, 0 ohms may be necessary, but this would be an unusual case.

Bob

• Like 1

Guessing seem to be a reasonable pastime... but a 0 ohm resistor would insure that the full voltage capacity of the 1200xl could be used..

It was actually an educated guess as I measured the voltage drop across the resistor and it was negligible (4.98 volts vs. 4.97 volts).

Had I have 0 ohm resistors at hand I would have used that of course but I just have a bunch of 0.5 ohms.

Edited by atari8warez

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up my fifth from Ebay. Here's my complete list:

83S DA 020878 073 - 800XL OS, Rambo 256KB, Clearpic 2002

83S DA 78443 133 - 32-in-1 OS, Atarimax 256KB, Clearpic 2002

72R DA 10202 203 - original spec, complete in box

72R DA 16022 213 - 800XL OS, 512KB, PAL ANTIC

72R DA 23381 243 - original spec, complete in box

One of the un-modded ones will receive an Ultimate 1MB expansion in the next few months.

• 2 weeks later...

You won't find any 1200XL's assembled and released past July 83' By June 83' the assembly and manufacturing for the 1200XL as well as most of the Sunnyvale production, with the exception of cartridges were shut down by the end of June 83' as part of a massive restructuring layoff of 1,700 in total from Jan-Jun 83' and the move to do all other manufacturing over in HK and Taiwan. So once production of the Sunnyvale manufacturing was closed, that put the nail in the coffin on the 1200XL and ended its 6 month production run. However by Mar 83' the designs for the 600,800, 1400 and 1450 systems were already started...

Don't know how you could have one that says Taiwan on them. I have the actual business diaries for the head of ATMC and Atari Wong and other than 2 sample 1200XL's being sent to ATMC (Atari Taiwan Manufacturing Co.) no 1200XL's were made in Taiwan. They may have placed stickers on them or when they closed up manufacturing in end of June 83, they might've shipped parts out there, but there is not logging of any 1200XL's being made in ATMC at all, only the 600/800XL were done in those plants and Chase (Chelco Electronics Corp)

Looks like Bob has got one of the last ones made:

Latest made: 72R DA 28746 293 bob1200xl Taiwan 28746 1983 29 18-Jul-83 24-Jul-83

Don't know how you could have one that says Taiwan on them. I have the actual business diaries for the head of ATMC and Atari Wong and other than 2 sample 1200XL's being sent to ATMC (Atari Taiwan Manufacturing Co.) no 1200XL's were made in Taiwan. They may have placed stickers on them or when they closed up manufacturing in end of June 83, they might've shipped parts out there, but there is not logging of any 1200XL's being made in ATMC at all, only the 600/800XL were done in those plants and Chase (Chelco Electronics Corp)

Not disagreeing, but then there were a lot of US made 1200XLs with Taiwan stickers on them made at the same time as the US ones. That could explain some of the strange serial number ordering. As I recall there were references for three manufacturing plants, there are three different FCC IDs.

Edited by kheller2

Like I mentioned, most likely they were just assembled with the parts from when the Sunnyvale plant was shut down and everything was shipped out to ATMC, they have to place the according FCC sticker of origin on them, though it is deceiving in a sense since everything was made in Sunnyvale, just assembled in Tawain. The Serial #'s will be kinda messed up because of it though, so yes, you would see the order skewed. ATMC comprised of the main plant, there was Atari Far East which was Atari Hong Kong and Atari Wong as well. These HK and Wong would be closed down, ATMC would continue and Chelco (Chase) would become a new supplier after Jan 84' or so, then Chinon was contracted as well not too long after that. Wong was spun down and most of their gear went to El Paso, TX. ATMC will be retained in the Tramiel years and his new contractor he worked with prior to buying Atari becomes Atari Japan who will do most of the design work and initial engineering work for Tramiel for manufacturing and parts supplying....

Its all thoroughly explained in Marty and my new Atari book - Atari Inc. Business is Fun.

Not disagreeing, but then there were a lot of US made 1200XLs with Taiwan stickers on them made at the same time as the US ones. That could explain some of the strange serial number ordering. As I recall there were references for three manufacturing plants, there are three different FCC IDs.

Like I mentioned, most likely they were just assembled with the parts from when the Sunnyvale plant was shut down and everything was shipped out to ATMC, they have to place the according FCC sticker of origin on them, though it is deceiving in a sense since everything was made in Sunnyvale, just assembled in Tawain.

Looking at date stamps, this transition occurred starting in early April '83. Both stickers were heavily and almost equally used in May, and then the US sticker is no longer used past the first week in June '83 (or last day in May, depending on how Atari counted the year). Serial numbers varied all over from 5 digits to 6 digits for whatever reason and they weren't even sequential for the same week for the same sticker location. All of which makes great fascinating stuff.

Its all thoroughly explained in Marty and my new Atari book - Atari Inc. Business is Fun.

To which I ordered long ago. :)