IGNORED

Jaguar vs. 32X?

Do The Math

To tell you the truth I didn't like Nights too much.

I´m sure a lot of people agree with you on that. Most people I´ve talked to love it though.

I´d put it in my top 10 of all-time best video games any day :)

Personally the game didn't had too good of an frame rate.

It gave me headaces. :(

I´m sure a lot of people agree with you on that. Most people I´ve talked to love it though.

I never noticed that. Always liked the speed and movement of the game.

No game´s ever given me a headache, but I get motion sickness (sea sick) whenever I play any of the Ecco the Dolphin games from Appaloosa or even Appaloosas recent Jaws unleashed.

Which is kind of weird since I never get motion sickness or sea sick in a car or a boat. :roll:

No game´s ever given me a headache, but I get motion sickness (sea sick) whenever I play any of the Ecco the Dolphin games from Appaloosa or even Appaloosas recent Jaws unleashed.

Which is kind of weird since I never get motion sickness or sea sick in a car or a boat. :roll:

Goldeneye gives me terrible headaches

It's "Virtua" Fighter guys!!! Not Virtual!!! lol ;) And the Saturn version of Virtua Fighter is better than the 32X version... And both the Jag and 32X are cool systems in my book, so I could care less about which is better! :D System wars only matter when you are 13 and only have enough money for one system...lol ;)

Actually the Saturn version was flawed hence the release of Virtua Fighter Remix, the 32X version fixed most if not all the flaws, and for having a smaller poly count the game was amazing. But you are correct, both were sweet consoles and thats what really matters in the present.

Uh...I have the Saturn version. ;) I really don't see how it's flawed. It plays fine and looks awesome in S-Video (save some minor clipping... ;))...The 32X version is good too, but it plays no better and obviously it's not as good graphically (Much less polys and horrid Genny/32X resolution...lol). The Saturn version is really close to the arcade. I know Remix came out a short time later, but that's because everyone was brainwashed by Toshinden on the PS...See, I think everyone was blinded by the awesome graphics in Toshinden at the time (including myself) So everyone thought and most mags reviewed Toshinden better than VF...purely from a graphics standpoint. So, Sega knew this and said, "we have to texture map Virtua Fighter!!!" :P But ya, both are sweet consoles. :P

It's "Virtua" Fighter guys!!! Not Virtual!!! lol ;) And the Saturn version of Virtua Fighter is better than the 32X version... And both the Jag and 32X are cool systems in my book, so I could care less about which is better! :D System wars only matter when you are 13 and only have enough money for one system...lol ;)

LOL,thats funny buddy,lol..... :)

:D I'm always glad when I found out I'm actually funny to someone. ;)

System wars only matter when you are 13 and only have enough money for one system...

True!..Huh :) , I was on ebay the other day checkin' out Sega's systems and contemplating buying a Saturn or Genesis with SegaCD or 32x.

Have you ever owned any of these systems? I would say go for the Genny/32X combo first. Especially if you are a Jag fan since they are kinda similar. :) Plus you can get a nice huge lot of a Genny/32X and probably 50 games for $75-$100. :)

System wars only matter when you are 13 and only have enough money for one system...

True!..Huh :) , I was on ebay the other day checkin' out Sega's systems and contemplating buying a Saturn or Genesis with SegaCD or 32x.

I would go with a Saturn just for Knights.

NiGHTS. And yes, I agree. :)

Ya know...I didn't either. BUT, I only first played the game a year or 2 ago. So, I'm sure for the people who first played it back in 1996 it was a much different experience. Especially if you are a Sega and/or Saturn fanatic! See, I was a Playstation/N64 fanatic back in the 90's so Mario 64 was my holy grail. I know most hardcore Sega/Saturn people put Nights right up there with the best games ever. I myself was kinda bored with it. I thought the graphics were really good yes, but the game seems so linear and lacking variety. Is the whole game flying around through circles etc? lol

omg Goldeneye was 4-player gaming nirvana in the 90's! I had so many good times with friend playing it. :) The 1-player missions are pretty damn hard though! lol I remember when the game first came out I coudn't freaking figure out how to beat the first level and I thought the game sucked! Then a friend bought it and the multiplayer is freaking incredible. Especially once you get all the wacky codes.

omg Goldeneye was 4-player gaming nirvana in the 90's! I had so many good times with friend playing it. :) The 1-player missions are pretty damn hard though! lol I remember when the game first came out I coudn't freaking figure out how to beat the first level and I thought the game sucked! Then a friend bought it and the multiplayer is freaking incredible. Especially once you get all the wacky codes.

Oh man, you and me both brother. Goldeneye was THE game to have back in the day. What awesome memories. It was probably the only game of its kind then. You could play doom on a network but nothing beat sitting in the same room staring at the same big screen and cussing out your friends face to face. I remember how I dominated that game.

I picked it up not too long ago to play some friends and gees, did I suck... at least there's still memories.

Though I haven't played it, that Darxide game for 32x looks amazing! From the looks of it, the closest thing the Jag has is Battlesphere and Battlesphere isn't even textured polys!

Is it as smooth as it looks?

It is. Perfect in every way. Amazing visuals, utterly groundbreaking soundtrack and gameplay which´ll last you a lifetime. Rock hard, bordering on the frustrating at times, but only until you get in the zone.

Pretty rare also. It was only released in PAL format and a CIB can easily set you back around $1100+.

Though I haven't played it, that Darxide game for 32x looks amazing! From the looks of it, the closest thing the Jag has is Battlesphere and Battlesphere isn't even textured polys!

It is. Perfect in every way. Amazing visuals, utterly groundbreaking soundtrack and gameplay which´ll last you a lifetime. Rock hard, bordering on the frustrating at times, but only until you get in the zone.

Pretty rare also. It was only released in PAL format and a CIB can easily set you back around $1100+.

So it's on par with Battlesphere as far as price goes.... :)

It is one of the few games on the 32X to do texture mapping, and as such looks better than many Saturn games. This is because we were able to get software rendered textures at a higher rate than the hardware could manage on the Saturn.

Damn... Come on, most those Saturn games blow away Jaguar... why the hell couldn't the jag get a killer app like that?

I know I know... :)

I own Battlesphere and it IS a very pretty game on the Jag. But it just doesn't hold a candle with Quake or Nights or Burning Rangers on the Saturn. And, honestly from the pics it doesn't look any better than Darxide on the 32x. I've read a lot of people writing on this forum that they've seen articles where Jaguar programmers state that the hardware on a jag, when properly programmed, is more powerful than a PS1. So far I've yet to see any proof any programmer has said that... But the thing is, we'll just never know because nobody really produced that KILLER app. Battlesphere was a step in the right direction but I would have loved to see that game that showed the FULL potential of the Jag.

Oh man, you and me both brother. Goldeneye was THE game to have back in the day. What awesome memories. It was probably the only game of its kind then. You could play doom on a network but nothing beat sitting in the same room staring at the same big screen and cussing out your friends face to face. I remember how I dominated that game.

I picked it up not too long ago to play some friends and gees, did I suck... at least there's still memories.

I haven't played Goldeneye multi-player in too long...My friends and I played it for YEARS though...lol I also tended to whoop most of my friends ass too, and I didn't even own the game! :P Mario Kart 64 is another one that was a blast with 4 people.

Oh my god...that much $!? Do you own the game? Because I think the "perfect in every way" might be out of the opinion of those who spent $1,000 on the game, so of course they are gonna make it out to be the best thing since sliced bread! Then again, maybe I'm just way too pessimistic. Lmao

I know I know... :)

I own Battlesphere and it IS a very pretty game on the Jag. But it just doesn't hold a candle with Quake or Nights or Burning Rangers on the Saturn. And, honestly from the pics it doesn't look any better than Darxide on the 32x. I've read a lot of people writing on this forum that they've seen articles where Jaguar programmers state that the hardware on a jag, when properly programmed, is more powerful than a PS1. So far I've yet to see any proof any programmer has said that... But the thing is, we'll just never know because nobody really produced that KILLER app. Battlesphere was a step in the right direction but I would have loved to see that game that showed the FULL potential of the Jag.

The only way I think the Jag "MAY" be "POSSIBLY" more powerfull "if coded by god...lmao" than the PS is in the 2D department :P...I have a hard time seeing the Jag match the PS in the 3D department... But all kidding aside, the Playstation is a real powerhouse in everyway when compared to other "next gen" systems from the 90's, except the DC obviously.

The sad truth is the JAguar and the 32x have a lot more in common than not.

The both use two risc chips controlled by a 68k.

Both had shit tools(Jaguar's tools by far the worst)

Both had decisions about there fate pulled from someone ass.

The SH2's in the 32X are fantastic chips but Tom and Jerry are also fantastic chips.

The trouble with BOTH systems is that 68k should have never been put in there.

Tom and Jerry should have been paired with another RISC or nothing at all. Oh

and tools you can actually code with would have been VERY helpful. If Atari actually

knew what the chipset was capable of(they definitely did not, at least not everything)

such as main code and main to local and local to main code jumps, and a real tool

developer at the helm, the Jaguar could have been quite a success. However, when

you hire a bunch of lazy 68k coders to try and squeeze performance from the RISC's

in the Jaguar, you get the result we fans got unfortunately.

Jaguar is definitely more capable, but definitely a lot harder to get to happen due to lack of tools.

The only way I think the Jag "MAY" be "POSSIBLY" more powerfull "if coded by god...lmao" than the PS is in the 2D department :P...I have a hard time seeing the Jag match the PS in the 3D department... But all kidding aside, the Playstation is a real powerhouse in everyway when compared to other "next gen" systems from the 90's, except the DC obviously.

Time. The PS1 came out two years after the Jaguar.

Likewise, the Dreamcast (which is really the first system of the following generation) came out four years after PS1.

Given the difference, you'd expect them to be more powerful.

Played Darxide via emulation... I like Battlesphere better. The framerate and control seems much better.

Shooting hexagon shaped asteroids in Darxide is sooooo fun. :roll:

I like BattleSphere better also, but Darxide in itself is amaazing tehcnical achievement and great fun to play IMO.

I see it as the definitive 3D Asteroids game. And asteroids btw aren´t the only things to deal with. Later on you´ll encounter enemy ships, wreckages, collect power-ups etc.

Time. The PS1 came out two years after the Jaguar.

Likewise, the Dreamcast (which is really the first system of the following generation) came out four years after PS1.

Given the difference, you'd expect them to be more powerful.

Yeah, there's the time difference, which obviously plays a role. But there are those out there who think that the Jaguar is more powerful than a PS1 or Sega Saturn. I'd like to believe it... but can't... Somebody on this board said that there was a magazine interview with one of the Jaguar's programmers stating that it was more powerful than a PS1 or Saturn when programmed properly. But didn't provide the article when I asked for it.