IGNORED

Gameboy Color - must have titles

Hi,

What would your top 3 titles to have on a Gameboy Color be?

Here's how I got here.

I built myself a small NES collection many years back followed

by the SNES. Then I got into Yellow Pokemon a bit under emulation

and managed to get that on cart as well as the SNES 'Super Gameboy'

adaptor which allowed me to play it. Recently I got the Gameboy cart

'International Karate 2000' which has a check that reports it only

runs on the Gameboy Color and I couldn't play this on the SNES.

So I found a cheap Gameboy Color (Pokemon yellow case) on Ebay

which came with a Harry Potter game (Sorcerer's Stone - in a similar

style to Pokemon) and a not so great Shrek game called Fairy Tale

Freakdown. So in order to avoid getting any disappointing titles I

thought I'd ask here :)

Thanks,

Mark

But it's best to have both because when you complete one, you get a code you can input into the other to gain all your objects and stuff you collected on the first. (The Zelda ones that is)

The Harry Potter games kept my daughter Emma quiet for many an hour and you get more gameplay out of the GBC version of Chamber of Secrets than you do on the GBA version (Emma completed it in 4 hours on the same day we went to see the film in the cinema)

My top GBC only Favs.

Warlocked, only RTS that I know of on GBC, one of my faves that still holds up today even.

Super Mario Bros Deluxe, this game of course, speaks for itself. (of course, you can get SMB classics on GBA, but it doesn't have SMB2 on it....)

Zelda (seasons or ages, but you'll eventually want both)

If you Liked Pokemon, Crystal was the peak of the series on color (and only Color only game)

Metal Gear Solid - with the VR Missions built right in, this game offers hours of playtime.

Tomb Raider. (both games) - But only if you like the original Prince of Persia.

Rayman. (both games) - because Mario didn't really even bother to compete this time.

Daikatana. (No, seriously, it's a fairly good game, and worth owning just for the story attached to it's making, once you finish the Zelda games.)

Shantae - in case anyone mistakes the gameboy color for just a portable NES.

Dragon's Lair - but you either like the wait in suspense until you either press the right button or die instantly gameplay, or you'll be inspired to find every last FMV game ever made and burn them so that the angry souls can be laid to rest.

Edited by A Sprite

Dragon's Lair - but you either like the wait in suspense until you either press the right button or die instantly gameplay, or you'll be inspired to find every last FMV game ever made and burn them so that the angry souls can be laid to rest.

but if you're a fan of dragon's lair, it's amazing how much the cart captures the feel of the original given its limitations.

I'm only going to give you one, but that should be enough. Space Invaders on the Game Boy Color was surprisingly well done, and quite different from its cousins on the Nintendo 64 and Playstation. It's more detailed than you ever thought a Game Boy Color game could be, and there are tons of weapons to use and invaders to blast.

JR

Anything Zelda, Mario Tennis, and Qix. Qix is a classic Game boy cart that shows awesome color on the Color Game Boy.

I also play a lot of Battleship on it--there's a DX version that is capable of linking to the classic cart.

Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal are very similar to each other, with Crystal being a little different than the rest.

Let's not forget Miner 2049er, either. It, too, is a classic gray cart, and it doesn't have color, but every Game Boy owner should give this port a try.

For what it's worth, R-Type DX is plugged in to my Color Game Boy right now.

Anything Zelda, Mario Tennis, and Qix. Qix is a classic Game boy cart that shows awesome color on the Color Game Boy.

Yeah. The "negative" color pallete really looks like it was designed with Qix in mind.

But the Color has very little worth owning.

Most of it's actually monochrome GameBoy titles. Not that that's a bad thing, given how massively superior the Color's display is.

I WANT to be able to recommend Crystalis, but... it was a pretty bad remake. Get the NES version instead.

For Zelda - are Ages/Seasons significantly different that you'd recommend having both?

Same with Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow I guess?

I have both Zeldas on one cart, as far as I know you can exchange data with the link cable.

Same at Pokemon, to get all 151 pokemons, you have to have all 3 Pokemons, red blue and yellow, because in each cart you have specific Pokemons.

Or you need a friend who has the others to exchange them using the link cable.

Qix is a classic Game boy cart that shows awesome color on the Color Game Boy.

I've never tried my classic Qix cart in there, and that's one of my favorite handheld games ever. How's Dr. Mario look on the color? I'd say I spent 50% of my gameboy time on Dr. Mario and Qix and the other 50% on Link's Awakening and Metroid 2. The rest of the library might as well not have existed, because those 4 games were so good (although I've since discovered the awesome Kid Dracula).