IGNORED

Gameboy Advance....easier?

I really hope those rude comments weren't directed to me, there was no reason for them... I was just saying that why did they make it easier? for the kids????? Because I noticed that a lot has changed on it, like the heart meter feature....and the being able to save it.....

I really hope those rude comments weren't directed to me' date=' there was no reason for them... I was just saying that why did they make it easier? for the kids????? quote']

Of course! Kids are Nintendo's lifeblood and main source of revenue, hence the kiddie games, the endless stream of cute games and last but not least, POKEMON! I replayed Mario 2 via an emulator (nes version) a few months ago and found it very easy. Why? I'm not sure...perhaps because I played it to death as a kid, or maybe it's due to the fact that today's games are (thankfully) more complex with more intense AI and tough level design, which I like. When I replayed the Mario series again in their original forms, I found all the Mario games to be extremely easy. They certainly weren't this easy when I was younger. Granted, there are tough spots where you lose a few lives on, but by and large, the patterns and level designs seem very simple compared to what we have in today's games.

i will say in defense of nintendo again. they dont make just kiddie games, and most of thier E rated games arent just for kids, thier for everyone. it just ensures that some 7 year old isnt going to see t and a, swears or blood. pokemon and mario may be called kids stuff but they are still fun and thats why they manage to stick around a long time

Hi there!

If you think it's all for kids, try Rayman. I really wished that one was a little easier. I had to give up playing and sold it after I managed to complete only 10% of the game...

I sold both Mario games too. Can't say why, but they really weren't providing that fun anmore as they did back then...

Only GBA J'n'R I can recommend so far is Castlevania. Can't wait for the sequel!

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

I sold both Mario games too. Can't say why, but they really weren't providing that fun anmore as they did back then...

Only GBA J'n'R I can recommend so far is Castlevania. Can't wait for the sequel!

Greetings,

Manuel

I skipped on Super Mario Advance, but Super Mario Advance 2 is awesome. I am looking forward to Yoshi's Island because I never played it on the SNES.

I am having such a hard time seeing the screen on Castlevania, that I can't stand playing it for more than a few minutes at a time. I've had the game for almost 2 months and I am still within about 30 seconds of playing time from the beginning! Hopefully they will make the sequel a little more "visible".

I doubt that the abundance of "save points" in GBA games is solely to make them easier. I think it might also have to do with convenience. A lot of people using GB's and GBA's are using them while on the subway, etc. , and the ability to stop and save on demand is great.

@AtariChick: Those comments were directed at NintendoDiesScreaming.

Speaking in just a technical sense, I would assume that the rom on Gameboy Advance is the exact same as the one on Nintendo 8-bit (NES).

That said, the only part about it that makes it "easier" is the save feature mentioned by others.

This save feature is much like a "save state" in an emulator. But the rom is left untouched.

I suspect that the game runs faster on Gameboy Advance, even having not played it at all, because the technology is better, and there's less slowdown (pixel stuff?)

So my answer to your question would be, NO, Gameboy advance Super Mario 2 is as hard/easy as the one for NES, because it utilizes the same rom.

Speaking in just a technical sense, I would assume that the rom on Gameboy Advance is the exact same as the one on Nintendo 8-bit (NES).

Not quite. It is no emulation. There's a lot of differences.

For example the sceen on the GBA is wider, so you can see more to both sides. That alone would make the game easier, I assume.

AFAIR those large (quadrupled?) enemies are not available in the original NES version, as well as the big Yoshi-coins are missing there.

Those are some obvious visible changes and, as I said, I sold it again, because it hadn't the original *feel* to me. That might be due to either me being 10+ years older now or there's more hidden changes, like for example control flaws you just can't recognize for certain or similar...

Greetings,

Manuel

A wider screen might possibly make it easier, but I think there's that trick of "scrolling an enemy into oblivion". Like you approach an enemy, and then quickly backtrack, thus making them disappear. On the wider version I would assume that this trick would be harder to execute.

Being wider, you'd have an advantage against enemies like that Birdo guy that spits eggs at you, because you can see more of the screen.

This is making me want to get this Gameboy Advance. I'm thinking a "portable NES". But it looks like they messed with it more than they should have, and it went the way of "Activision Classics" for the Playstation 1.

Activision Classics Pitfall! for example looks, feels, and tastes nothing like the real Atari 2600. The sounds are horribly simulated!

This is making me want to get this Gameboy Advance. I'm thinking a "portable NES".

I'm more and more thinking of it being a "portable PSI". I can't yet see the limits of the GBA and the newer games make any SNES and Genesis game look lame...

For example GBA Mario Kart is better than it's SNES counterpart - But we all know that the SNES version was cheating by using an extra 3D chip on the cartridge!

Only drawback of the GBA compared to a PSI is the possible size of the games. A CD can obviously carry way more data than a GBA cartridge...

Greetings,

Manuel

Rayman is really hard, I think I sell it on ebay.

I still got some ~30€ for mine, so you don't really lose much on evaluating it.

What I like is Sheep, it is nice but hard.

Oh, that's one I've yet to try.

This week I bought four GBA games on eBay: Fire Pro Wrestling, Boxing Fever, Chu Chu Rocket & Lucky Luke. Boxing Fever already arrived today, so maybe tonight I can report on it's quality :)

I always have 4 *floating* games. I buy them from eBay, play them 1-2 weeks and then sell them again. Only games I considered worth keeping in my collection so far are: Advance Wars, Castlevania, Golden Sun & X-Men.

Greetings,

Manuel