- Sega SG-1000 Mark II [Curt Coder]

- Sega SC-3000 [Curt Coder]

- Sega SC-3000/Super Control Station SF-7000 [Curt Coder]

- Texas Instruments TI-82 (not working) [Curt Coder]

- Texas Instruments TI-83 (not working) [Curt Coder]

- Texas Instruments TI-83 Plus (not working) [Curt Coder]

- VTech CreatiVision [Curt Coder]

- Samsung Gam*Boy II [Wilbert Pol]

See messnew.txt for long list of changes. Lots of Atari 2600 bug fixes. 2600 driver is still a WIP, but we need help from the AtariAge community to beta test in order to make MESS 0.117 the best 2600 emulator of all time.

Common bugs in MESS 0.116 2600 driver include:

- Graphics glitches in some supercharger games

- Sound has wrong pitch in some games

- Flashing effect in some games (TV phosphoresence not emulated)

- Pitfall 2 not working

- KidVid, Lightgun, and mouse controllers not emulated yet

- Palette may show faded colors in some games

A full list of known bugs can be found here.

Edited by xulchris

- Sound has wrong pitch in some games

A full list of known bugs can be found here.

I see specific games (IE Adventures of Tron) being sited along with the blanket statement "Sound has wrong pitch in some games'. If you're looking for more specific examples in Masters of the Universe - The Power of He-Man your character (He-Man in the Wind Raider) when shot and hit, the sounds pitch is incorrect.

-Trebor

Trebor: Thank you very much for the testing! Yes the pitch is off with very many games, we just have the one blanket bug for it which is Adventures of Tron. I will add the games you've mentioned to that bug. I'm pretty sure all of these are related and can be fixed with a single fix.

Miner 2049er 2 looks correct here, are you sure you aren't running the PAL version? Try running it with the a2600p driver and see if that fixes it.

Also, I am unable to reproduce any of the other bugs you mentioned with the current development version. All of these games have been tested by me and work properly. There were some last minute RIOT changes that went in right before release, so it's possible these bugs exist in 0.116 stable but have already been fixed. I will revert back to 0.116 and try and verify if these bugs show up with the 0.116 release for me.

Trebor: I reverted back to svn rvn 574 which is what 0.116 is based on I believe and retested California Games, Defender II, Dark Chambers, Q*Bert Qubes and Miner 2049er 2 and I was unable to reproduce these bugs. The CRCs you mentioned match the ones I am using as well. Perhaps it is a Windows only problem? I'll see if I can get someone to try and verify on a windows machine.

Trebor: I reverted back to svn rvn 574 which is what 0.116 is based on I believe and retested California Games, Defender II, Dark Chambers, Q*Bert Qubes and Miner 2049er 2 and I was unable to reproduce these bugs. The CRCs you mentioned match the ones I am using as well. Perhaps it is a Windows only problem? I'll see if I can get someone to try and verify on a windows machine.

Odd...Unless it is truly just Windows related.

Just for the record, the same games/roms work without a problem in Stella (2.3.5).

Regardless, if all works well in 0.117 then MESS will become my Atari 2600 emulator of choice...Although it would be nice if a workaround/fix for the sound sync (MAME core related) issue was implemented.

I made a small typo in the riot implementation (swapped 2 parameters, doh) used by MESS 116 which causes MESS to crash in a Windows environment. This same crash does not happen in a linux or os x environment, since I work on os x it took us a while to figure out that one. This problem is now fixed and will be gone with MESS 0.117. This is most likely the cause for all those crash reports, sorry for the inconvenience.

This is currently on my radar for 0.117:

- Fix the rest of the remaining TIA graphics bugs.

- Find and fix the remaining issues in the RIOT code.

- Add support for more controllers (most notably light gun support).

- Start working on fixing the TIA sound bugs.

- Improve the palettes.

- Improve Supercharger support, there still seem to be some weird issues there.

I just hope I have enough time to actually work on them before 0.117...

Since the 0.116 release there have already been some graphics improvements: the stars in Rabbit Transit are showing up, the lines on the playfield in RealSports Basketball are showing up correctly, and the score in Kool Aid Man is almost correct.

I made a small typo in the riot implementation (swapped 2 parameters, doh) used by MESS 116 which causes MESS to crash in a Windows environment. This same crash does not happen in a linux or os x environment, since I work on os x it took us a while to figure out that one. This problem is now fixed and will be gone with MESS 0.117. This is most likely the cause for all those crash reports, sorry for the inconvenience.

This is currently on my radar for 0.117:

- Fix the rest of the remaining TIA graphics bugs.

- Find and fix the remaining issues in the RIOT code.

- Add support for more controllers (most notably light gun support).

- Start working on fixing the TIA sound bugs.

- Improve the palettes.

- Improve Supercharger support, there still seem to be some weird issues there.

I just hope I have enough time to actually work on them before 0.117...

Since the 0.116 release there have already been some graphics improvements: the stars in Rabbit Transit are showing up, the lines on the playfield in RealSports Basketball are showing up correctly, and the score in Kool Aid Man is almost correct.

Thank you for working on this driver in MESS. No inconvenience here, Wilbert. I'm just doing what little I can to contribute. I wish I had the skills to work on drivers - 2600, 7800 and the sound syncronization issue are all emulations items I would tackle in MESS.

Thankfully, you're doing an excellent job with the 2600. Keep up the fantastic work!

Hi Tebor, I'm really sorry about that Windows glitch that is making so many games not work. :(

I tested Spider-Man and it appears this appears on real hardware as well. I also tested it with stella, and stella does the same thing. Did you compare this with real hardware?

Defender II, Stargate, and all the Epyx games work here.

Tac-Scan does not start. I believe this is a regression from the RIOT changes. I will report this bug, thanks. :)

The issue with warlords is a known bug and has already been reported. It only occurs when joysticks are plugged in. Switch to paddles and you do not get the glitch. Note, stella has the same glitch if you force stella to use joysticks.

Edited by xulchris