IGNORED

new to this arena of collecting, maintenence question

Atari5200

I just purchased a child hood favorite of mine, Devestators, and eventually plan on using the machine when I accumulate enough to open an arcade. With this being said, the front coin slot door and the door below it are missing the locks. Can these locks be easily installed or should i look at buying brand new door/lock combos or am i screwed all around?

I just purchased a child hood favorite of mine, Devestators, and eventually plan on using the machine when I accumulate enough to open an arcade. With this being said, the front coin slot door and the door below it are missing the locks. Can these locks be easily installed or should i look at buying brand new door/lock combos or am i screwed all around?

They are easily replaced, and that's usually the way they are sold. I'd wait and buy a boxful when you need them so you make sure you get them all keyed alike.

If you are going to run them for profit, definately do two things:

Buy MATCHING locks, for your sanity, AND get new coin cutters. Those are the devices that select whether you get to play with a quarter or a piece of crayon. Most of my laundromats thought crayons and cheetoes were currency. Either that or my machine had a snacking habit.

The cutters that are in there at minimum are 10 years old. These machines benefit from them for reliability and less jamming. In an arcade environment, EVERYONE knows very quickly what games are notorious for sucking their money and not giving a game. Just a caveat.

The locks you buy at Home Depot will work, be advised they are often a hair bigger than the stock opening. Most of the time I take a file and just work the inside of the door opening. If I ever go back to an arcade weighted lock (heavier duty, thats all) the filing was so minor that you can never tell I did it. If the game has a reset or tilt switch, you might also have to file that. I usually just cut that and fit it around under the retaining nut.

HTH,

C