IGNORED

HomeBrews Ideas

MIKE5200

• 1 month later...

I've been thinking about the following:

1) Bowling (Like Capcom Bowling or League Bowling)

-> http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter...mp;game_id=7267

-> http://www.allgame.com/cg/agg.dll?p=agg&sql=1:17019

2) Golf (Like Neo Turf Masters or Golden Tee)

-> http://www.neo-geo.com/reviews/neo-reviews/ntm/ntm.html

-> http://www.arcade-history.com/?n=golden-te...tail&id=982

3) Cards (Similar to Super Solitaire)

-> http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/g/super_ninte...re/overview.php

I really like the bowling if it supported the trackball. I think this would be the most popular of possible titles that could be developed if done right. I think you need to make it have a very arcade feel.

Curling would be great! Again, if it would be possible to do it with the Trackball all the better. Not sure how popular it would be

A Realsports Hockey would be my top choice, but I am not sure how popular it would be. Of course if you make it more like Faceoff or something that is very easy to play and accessable then it might catch on. I sure would like to see it done, but I just don't think many people would be into it.

Zoo Keeper or Star Castles would be two games that I would like to see done, but chances are it will not happen.

I was thinking of doing a 5200 Hockey game after Tempest is done. Interesting that Atari never did RealSports Hockey.

I would really like to see this happen! I have always wanted a Hockey game on the 5200.

RealSports Hockey would be great!

Even if it were like FaceOff or a real acrade like hockey game, I would support it by buying a copy.

I was thinking of doing a 5200 Hockey game after Tempest is done. Interesting that Atari never did RealSports Hockey.

What about that Airworld game? I think the whole world would want to give you a high five if you finished that one. I would buy one I know that.

I'd give anything to see Slot Machine for the 5200 happen. Something with more updated graphics of course. In 1979, this may have been acceptable for the 2600, but it looks really bad for today's standards and hasn't aged well. I still have fun with it though. Even a updated 2600 version would be cool.

You would think that maybe Atari Canada may have had it available, especially with NHL Hall Of Famer Wayne Gretzky's national popularity in that great nation rivaling that of the Prime Minister of Canada at the time (1980-88), but apparently not.

As both a league bowler and also a hardcore Denny's PBA Tour fan http://www.PBA.com I second that RealSports Bowling idea as well. Also a RealSports Basketball (which was slated to come out for it originally in 1983) and a hacked and completed version of Asteroids would be nice too.

Edited by BIGHMW

I'm thinking about doing an original game for the 5200 - I've got the concept and design fleshed out pretty well. I just need to make the time, and it's been 20 years since I've done any 6502 assembler. =) But I think it'd be a great platform for doing a homebrew - small enough for a 1 person team, but poweful enough for a lot of creative flexibility. Anyways, I picked up a couple of A8 programming books to nudge myself into action. Who knows, maybe by next year's CGE I'll have... er... at least started...

Edited by BydoEmpire

I'm shocked that nobody wanted Galaga for the 5200 :(

I would really like Galaga, but Bowling, Curling, and Hockey would be the ones that I would perfer.

I guess I would like to see something new, rather than another arcade conversion, but if someone were to do a Galaga coversion, I know that I would buy it as it is one of my favs.

You would think that maybe Atari Canada may have had it available, especially with NHL Hall Of Famer Wayne Gretzky's national popularity in that great nation rivaling that of the Prime Minister of Canada at the time (1980-88), but apparently not.

As both a league bowler and also a hardcore Denny's PBA Tour fan http://www.PBA.com I second that RealSports Bowling idea as well. Also a RealSports Basketball (which was slated to come out for it originally in 1983) and a hacked and completed version of Asteroids would be nice too.

Oh, speaking of more sports simulations, how about RealSports Arena Football, RealSports Canadian Football (both very different and more complex than our football here in the States), and a home version of Cyberball: 2087

As for arcade simulations I DO want to see Galaga, as well as a 5200 version of the 400/800/XL/XE favorite, Donkey Kong, and also 5200 versions of two of my favorite 2600 games of all time, Yars Revenge, and Video Pinball

Others arcade simuls include:

Space Duel

Omega Race

Quantum, and

Liberator (both perfect for use with the trak-ball)

Black Widow (perfect for the dual controller holder)

Edited by BIGHMW

I had been trying to brush up on my assembler and learn 6502 language as well as dream up an interesting game idea. But I'm not too good at long term goals, so my pursuit fell by the wayside.

I had a concept which I called Code Monkey. The game idea was one that would only be feasible with the trackball controller. The idea was that the center of the screen had a 3x4 grid which corresponded to the keypad controller and which represented a program you were working on, there was also a cursor you'd controll with the trackball to shoot wandering bugs. On the right hand side of the screen was a meter representing the stack of projects to do in your inbox. On the left hand side of the screen was a meter representing what you had completed. On the bottom of the screen was a humanoid figure representing your boss who would move back at forth at various speeds. When he was on the right hand side of the screen, he would dump more projects in your inbox. When he was on the left hand side of the screen, he would give you bonus points for completed tasks or be unsatisfied and take those tasks back to your inbox.

The goal was to complete and debug programs on your programming screen. To do this you use the keypad to make all the code blocks the same color. In addition, bugs flew around in the code area and you were to use your cursor to hunt them down and eliminate them. Once you completed the program, you were to hit the finish button and put it into your finished pile for bonus points. But if it wasn't actually finished and still had bugs or code blocks wrong, the boss would get angry and dump it and extra work in your inbox.

The longer the game went on, the harder it would get. The boss would more frequently drop work in your inbox and less frequently visit your outbox. Bugs would get faster and more elusive and would change code blocks which you had already fixed.

The idea was the oubox represented bonus points, but also represented how much your boss could screw you over by dumping the work back in your inbox. The Inbox represented how close you were to losing a a life (losing your job) because if it topped out, the boss would get really pissed and fire you.

I also considered a tactical RPG idea. That one would probably have been a lot easier.

Is anybody working on a 5200 homebrew? I am reading lots of wish lists, some ideas, but I'm not aware of anybody currently working on anything for the big system. Speak up if you know something.

But while we're talking "ideas", I always wanted to make a Land of the Lost adventure game for the 5200. Try to capture a lot of the same sound FX and have you play as each of the 3 Marshalls, figuring out Pylon Matrix tables to solve the puzzles - like controlling the sun, weather, etc. The Sleestaks would be sprites probably; the dinosaurs would need to be character graphics and hence not too mobile. Are there any games for the A8/5200 where bigger enemies are represented, to give me an idea of what was done before?

Is anybody working on a 5200 homebrew? I am reading lots of wish lists, some ideas, but I'm not aware of anybody currently working on anything for the big system. Speak up if you know something.

But while we're talking "ideas", I always wanted to make a Land of the Lost adventure game for the 5200. Try to capture a lot of the same sound FX and have you play as each of the 3 Marshalls, figuring out Pylon Matrix tables to solve the puzzles - like controlling the sun, weather, etc. The Sleestaks would be sprites probably; the dinosaurs would need to be character graphics and hence not too mobile. Are there any games for the A8/5200 where bigger enemies are represented, to give me an idea of what was done before?

Cool idea. LOTL was a cool kids show. So you would be Will, running away from the dinos and Sleestak, trying to reach the safety of the cave. Or you would have to get the crystals to get you back home to the future. And what the hell was the name of that evolved Sleestak?

I think you should do a minature golf game.

Allan

What about fixing jums pong game? I don't think it works at all on the 5200, heck even put 4 players to boot.

What about fixing jums pong game? I don't think it works at all on the 5200, heck even put 4 players to boot.

Jum pong works fine on real hardware.

Jum pong works fine on real hardware.

The revised version does, the original version doesn't recognize the controller buttons.

Mitch