IGNORED

7800 proto dumps

gambler172

walter_protos.zipHi Guys

Like i said.I shipped my 7800 protos to Eckhard Stolberg.He dumped the roms for me.

Here they are.While Xevious and Food Fight are different from the release version,Dig Dug seems to be the same.

And the 7800 "Diagnostic" (i got it from a friend,who got it from a former Atari engineer) seems to be a different version too.

Enjoy

And many thanks and greetings to Eckhard.

greetings Walter

Edited by gambler172

Neat, I'll have to check these out. BTW do you have pictures of the protos?

Tempest

Since I still have Walter's protos, I thought I'd post a quick picture of them. Food Fight and Xevious are boards only. Dig Dug and the diagnostics test cart come in plain Atari cases. Unfortunately the diagnostics cart has a warranty sticker over the screw hole. I don't know of a way to get these off and back on undamaged, so I didn't dare opening the case. I'll leave that to Walter when he gets his protos back.

post-39-1182700845_thumb.jpg

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

Hi Guys

great,that Eckhard took a picture.But Dig Dug was only a board too.I put it in an empty case,to keep it safer.The Diagnostic cart came with this sticker on it.I also own a Pole Position II proto,but i could not get it to run.So i did not ship it to Eckhard,because it seems not to run.

And i own a proto of "AVCS Tech Challenge"(i know,it is a 2600 game),which only works right on a 7800 system.

:) greetings Walter

So how is Food Fight different?

You're going to have to play with it and find out. I haven't had a chance to look at these yet, but just because they test differently doesn't mean the differences are going to be noticable. I hope it's something interesting though.

Tempest

Hi Guys

great,that Eckhard took a picture.But Dig Dug was only a board too.I put it in an empty case,to keep it safer.The Diagnostic cart came with this sticker on it.I also own a Pole Position II proto,but i could not get it to run.So i did not ship it to Eckhard,because it seems not to run.

And i own a proto of "AVCS Tech Challenge"(i know,it is a 2600 game),which only works right on a 7800 system.

You should send that Pole Position to Eckhard at some point to get dumped anyway. It may have enough bit rot so that it won't start but there may still be enough of the code left to see if it's any different than the released version.

Mitch

Hi Guys

You should send that Pole Position to Eckhard at some point to get dumped anyway. It may have enough bit rot so that it won't start but there may still be enough of the code left to see if it's any different than the released version.

Mitch

Hi Mitch

I will talk to Eckhard and if he can dump it,i will ship it to him

greetings Walter

Walter, as I said before, this is a very, very cool thing that you've done for the community.

Thanks for sharing!

When I get some time, I'll make a point of checking out your diagnostic cart.

I've gotta finish Scrapyard Dog maps first tho. :)

-John

I had a quick look at the proto diag cart and it looks like it is nearly identical to the second half of the final diag cart. I noticed also that the cart is unsigned and fails on a standard 7800. Makes me wonder if it was designed to go with the proto 7800 BIOS that Curt dug up a while ago. I'll have to try that when I have some time.

Mitch

Unfortunately the diagnostics cart has a warranty sticker over the screw hole. I don't know of a way to get these off and back on undamaged, so I didn't dare opening the case.

Eckhard

Use a hairdryer to peel that label off... ;-)

Regards

• 1 month later...

Has anyone taken a closer look at these? I took a quick look tonight and saw that Xevious had a different title screen. The games seem to play the same though. I'm sure there are some other differences, as I only spent about 3 minutes looking at them.

Tempest

Why not dump the carts without opening them? I've done that for valuable Atari 8bit carts.

Actually they've already been dumped. The suggestion to open the one was to get a picture.

Tempest; I took a look at the diag cart and it seems the part that's missing compared to the final version is the part for the color adjustment screen. The actual diagnostic part seems to work similar to the final version, though I didn't really test it that much. Incidentally, the 7800 loopback plugs do work properly with it. One of these days I'm going to try it with the beta 7800 BIOS and see if it does anything different.

Mitch

• 7 months later...
Hey Walter:

On quick glance, it looks like the binary is not signed. I don't have the necessary files here at work - if someone else doesn't try signing it I'll do it when I get home and see if it works then.

Bob

The first games that GCC did for the 7800 were created on modified 7800 consoles that had a special BIOS installed. It would allow transmitting data through one of the joystick ports. Walter's Pole Position II proto is switching to the BIOS several times, which is why I'm assuming that it was writtin for one of those GCC developer 7800s. Since Atari's BIOS doesn't have the code that the game expects, it wouldn't work on a normal 7800 even if the binary was signed.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

Did anyone else notice that there is a significant chunk of the 7800 BIOS BIN data in there?

I also seem to remember when the 7800 was first announced that it was supposed to have Pole Position 2 built-in to the BIOS. Like they later did with Asteroids.

Hmm... :ponder:

Mitch

PS Any chance of a picture?