IGNORED

Asteroids Deluxe

PacManPlus

You could bump it up to 48K and just add the whole original 7800 Asteroids game in there. It should be doable since the original's only 16K.

Mitch

Just going by memory here so I might be wrong...

I think the documentation says that holey dma does not work below a certain address (maybe $8000) which might cause a problem placing graphics in the lower 16K of ROM then. (you could always make your own though by zeroing out some of that extra 16K if that is the case though). The cost difference between 32K and a 64K eprom is fairly low.

Holey DMA also is not supposed to be in effect for indirect (character mode) so if that is being used for anything they can be placed anywhere.

edit: btw: looks and plays great with what I tried in MESS so far!

Thanks Ken! :)

Early in the hack's life, I actually did try moving the graphics block higher in the cart, but all I got were white squares for everything. :( I could have done something wrong...

At this point, I think I will keep it Asteroids Deluxe, and Asteroids (nobody found it yet?) with vectorized graphics. Mostly because of the 320 mode I used - I can't use the original graphics in their form as they were.

I did, however:

1) Implement the auto-fire that Trebor pointed out

2) Implement the 'timer' as to when the weedges stop chasing you and leave.

3) I slowed down the rock rotation.

I still have to:

1) Adjust the agressiveness of the wedges for the early levels

2) Modify the High Score font to look like the regular score font.

I will post another bin when those two things are done.

Thanks for the feedback! Let me know if you see anything else :)

Bob

Very impressive (and much tougher with the new behavior of the killer triangles)

only other change I might suggest (please correct me if I am missing something here) is to make it so the shielded ship is not batted across the screen like it was hit by a giant ping pong paddle when shot by a saucer. AFAIK in the arcade the saucer shots do not bump the ship around when they hit the shield. Might make for a fun user-set option though.

Thanks Feralstorm! :)

Ok - here is the (Second?) Release Candidate for Asteroids Deluxe. I have changed the following:

1) Implemented the auto-fire that Trebor pointed out

2) Implemented the 'timer' as to when the weedges stop chasing you and leave.

3) I slowed down the rock rotation.

4) Adjusted the agressiveness of the wedges for the early levels (they are slower up until level 6)

5) Modify the High Score font to look like the regular score font. Actually, I modified all of the fonts. I hated the ones that were there.

6) Stopped the player from getting thrown across the screen when shot by a saucer (and the shield is on). How did I miss that? :ponder: -> :dunce:

7) Refined the Wedge shapes some more, and Asteroid ship shape (so far only Allan found it) ;)

Enjoy!

ASTDLX78.ZIP

Edited by PacManPlus

I was asked to change the copyright to © 2007 Atari Interactive, Inc. :)

Really? By who? Does that mean it'll be a sanctioned release? Wow...

I'm not sure yet if it will be - although as long as Atari gives the OK it will be available in the AA store :)

BTW, Just out of curiosity, was Asteroids Deluxe available on any classic home console? (aside from the Flashback II)?

Doing excellent. A bit unfortunate to see your name missing from the title screen tho'.

Any chance of a 320-pixel mode upgrade for the Asteroids Vector Edition hack? (or does it already exist and I missed it? :) )

Try holding down 'Pause' while turning on the 7800 (with Asteroids Deluxe inserted) until the title screen. Or, in the ProSystem elumator, choose Options->Reset while holding down 'F4' (which is the pause key)... You will notice the title screen is a little different... :cool:

Thanks!

Bob

Well, the plus side is that a socket fits in the cart. The minus side is that the label has to get trashed. :(

It was fun anyways. :)

I going to buy one anyways (as long as Albert can sell it.)

Allan

What I started doing a while ago was not even using the screw if there was a chance that a bin would be updated. The 6 clips do a pretty good job of holding the cart together (provided none of them broke off when opening it). Combine that with the socket, and you have a cart that could be updated at any time! :)

Bob

Well, the plus side is that a socket fits in the cart. The minus side is that the label has to get trashed. :(

It was fun anyways. :)

I going to buy one anyways (as long as Albert can sell it.)

Allan

What I started doing a while ago was not even using the screw if there was a chance that a bin would be updated. The 6 clips do a pretty good job of holding the cart together (provided none of them broke off when opening it). Combine that with the socket, and you have a cart that could be updated at any time! :)

Bob

Yea, I thought about that. But I figured the label needed to be updated anyways so I just did it with the screw. Once you're done I'll fix the label and make a new one without the screw.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to putting this in my CC2. All I can say is Bob has done it again.

Apparently I've never played Asteroids Deluxe in my life as I don't ever remember seeing those alien spaceships before......at least I'd never seen the one that breaks up into several smaller pods and attacks you.

Thanks guys! :)

Sorry for the lack of updates, but the last binary I posted seems to be the final one, as niether I nor anyone who has contacted me has made any complaints abojut bugs. :)

I'm just waiting for an answer on whether or not this cart can be sold here.

In the meantime, I'm working on Space Duel :)

Bob