IGNORED

5200 Tempest Update

Dutchman2000

How does it look so far? I saw prototype pictures a while back elsewhere, but maybe your version looks different?

As for "limited production"...Isn't it possible for a "just in time" set up, or is there some technical problem that makes this too awkward? That way, you could produce what is wanted. If this seems like a dumb question, it's just that I am still finding about about the practical part of homebrewing.

Isn't this something? So many good homebrews, you can't buy them all!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone who bumps an update announcement thread to ask if there are any updates, should be auto-banned.

The world would be a better, less stupid place.

Ah... the sweet, delicious irony, can you taste it?

=|;^P

As much as I hate to say it, I actually agree with ZB on this one. Is it really necessary to ask for updates...every week or two, no less?

Patience is a virtue.

Anyone who bumps an update announcement thread to ask if there are any updates, should be auto-banned.

On stuff I have worked on, sometimes it took posts about it to get me back to working on something. There have also been people who have said they stopped development on projects because it seemed like there were no interest. Every couple of weeks maybe would be a good compromise :)

Ok, so has there been any more work done on it yet? :cool: (joke)

Send me some source for a 7800 port ;)

On stuff I have worked on, sometimes it took posts about it to get me back to working on something. There have also been people who have said they stopped development on projects because it seemed like there were no interest. Every couple of weeks maybe would be a good compromise :)

Ok, so has there been any more work done on it yet? :cool: (joke)

Send me some source for a 7800 port ;)

i ask only every month or so. but i think it's a joke that we keep getting promised pics and i have yet to see one on here. if there's updated work and we're almost to a beta stage, how hard is it to post one pic to keep everyone's interest. i got tired of waiting around and bought a tempest upright.

if there's updated work and we're almost to a beta stage, how hard is it to post one pic to keep everyone's interest.

I suppose the flip side of that is: How hard is it to have a little patience and faith?

Actually, this is all part of an elaborate ruse to get your hopes up and crush them at the last minute. We're just dicks like that... :)

Tempest

i ask only every month or so. but i think it's a joke that we keep getting promised pics and i have yet to see one on here. if there's updated work and we're almost to a beta stage, how hard is it to post one pic to keep everyone's interest. i got tired of waiting around and bought a tempest upright.

Did you ever stop and think that this is because the wonderful folks that take the time to continue to

support your favorite dead systems have lifes outside of writing homebrews? Hmmm? Huh? HMMM?

(j/k) :D

We promise pics all the time...sometimes we deliever, sometime we just plain do not have the time.

We love your support and we really dig the enthusiastic drive you all have. However, what would

be absolutely smashing along with this is you being a bit understanding that we do have lives, even

if some of you think otherwise. :P

I for one think you all should allow the crew working on this to put in as much time as THEY feel necessary

eevn if it means not seeing the progress on a regular basis. That is a BIG encouraging benefit to us out

here that want to afford you the best we can offer. There have been enough games ruined by rush jobs

that any gamer should be patient.

Now...with that said.....when are we going to see some screen shots dangit!!!!

:P (just busting yer chops boys!)

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

Come on guys, you need to remember that Keithen is doing this in his spare time. His real job and family life are more important. He is working on it as often as he can. It will happen in time. The screenshots I promised will happen as soon as I can find some space to host them. There's not really much to see as he has not given me a playable build yet. Calm down and relax.

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

Agreed. Everyone needs to really take a step back and look at the big picture. No one programs 5200 games for a living anymore; everyone that does homebrew games does it for fun, for the challenge, and to contribute something to the classic gaming community. Completing these games takes time and I'm sure that as Keithen makes more progress, Dutchman will let us know...

Keithen and Dutchman, on behalf of 5200 fans everywhere, thanks for all the hard work that's being put into this project and keep up the great work!!!

-Ron

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

Agreed. Everyone needs to really take a step back and look at the big picture. No one programs 5200 games for a living anymore; everyone that does homebrew games does it for fun, for the challenge, and to contribute something to the classic gaming community. Completing these games takes time and I'm sure that as Keithen makes more progress, Dutchman will let us know...

Keithen and Dutchman, on behalf of 5200 fans everywhere, thanks for all the hard work that's being put into this project and keep up the great work!!!

-Ron

a few post back this just started as a joke.

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

Come on guys, you need to remember that Keithen is doing this in his spare time. His real job and family life are more important. He is working on it as often as he can. It will happen in time. The screenshots I promised will happen as soon as I can find some space to host them. There's not really much to see as he has not given me a playable build yet. Calm down and relax.

umm, I'm more than sure Albert would host the pics. :ponder:

if there's updated work and we're almost to a beta stage, how hard is it to post one pic to keep everyone's interest.

I suppose the flip side of that is: How hard is it to have a little patience and faith?

Actually, this is all part of an elaborate ruse to get your hopes up and crush them at the last minute. We're just dicks like that... :)

Tempest

if you want a real interesting read on probably the biggest homebrew hoax of all time in my opinion, go to www.gp32x.com, go to the forum and search for F-Day.

A developer promised 13 polished emulators to be released on 1 day, called F-day, the coders name was, sorry for spelling, Ryleh, and his emulators always started with F, like FNes, FCol, etc.

He would release an emulator as an F-day preview for coding competitions, and of course would win, because normal homebrewers are not going to be able to compete with this guys talent. He had everybody, and I mean everybody in the community interested and even had some of the real dedicated moderators and people whom were actually invested in GamePark, believing this day would come, alas, it never did, I abandoned GP32.com a few years ago because of the people on the board, I happened to post about a month ago if F-day ever happened, still has not, I think 4 years later.

There was such a buzz generated with his stuff, there's no doubt in my mind that had the buzz of F-Day not had been generated prior to current coding competitions, he may not have won.

http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=40268

this was the only one I could find, I think the other topics are too old.

Edited by Atari5200

Any updates on this?

Well, since you are all twisting my arm a bit......

I gave Keithen a call last night. He just got back from vacation. He was planning to do some programming during it but didn't get the chance. He is home for a a week and then he is off to Japan to teach a class. He is working on the pulsars but so far he is not satisfied with the results. He is planning on rolling back the build a bit and sending it to me so I can take screenshots before he leaves for Japan.

• 2 months later...
Any updates on this?

Well, since you are all twisting my arm a bit......

Just read that.. I was actually just joking in reference to all the update requests and people saying "stop asking for updates", etc. So I couldn't resist being facetious :lol:

But that's a great update.. of course though I'm in no rush. I'd be just as happy seeing this come out 3 years from now as I would be next week. It's all good :)

I'd like to add one other possible explanation for people's apparent impatience, that may annoy those on the developer side of the 'divide'.

I'm very interested in this project, as much as I was in Adventure ][. I'm anxiously looking forward to the completion, but am firmly on the side of 'don't rush it'. For a few years Adventure ][ felt like it would never arrive, but I always preferred that Ron and the team take their time to do it right, rather than rush anything. Me and my 5200 aren't going anywhere. I feel the same way about Tempest.

As for my concerns that may explain why some appear impatient, previous posts have indicated that there will be no pre-orders for the game, and no wait-lists. This is understandable. BUT, I'm worried that the game will be finished, announced, and sell-out before I'm aware it's available. I'll then be like one of the folks that wanted a copy of Battlesphere, but was stuck watching the cartridges sell on ebay every few weeks for a couple of hundred bucks or more.

So maybe people are just checking-in vocally, to try and assure themselves they won't miss it?