IGNORED

Gorf is just an unofficial homebrew release?

thomasholzer

This is from Digital Press website, Retro Gamer research topic. This is what so-called RG writer Stuart Campbell has to say about Jaguar 'Gorf'.

....the fact that The Definitive... doesn't even attempt to cover every single release in a series on every single format. Such a feature would be 20 pages long and incredibly dull to read. (Nor do we cover unofficial homebrew releases like Jaguar Gorf, or the features would be 50 pages long, Or about 200 in the case of Lode Runner.)

Well, I'm sorry I don't go along with this: Steve said that Gorf was a professional release, not a homebrew.

OK

Regardless of the subject i have a few of questions:

1 - What exactly IS a homebrew game, what are the specific criteria?

2 - Is it an insult for a game to be considered a homebrew anyway? Does being labelled a homebrew carry negative connotations?

3 - Is it worth taking steps which might be outlined in the asnwer to Q1 to be able to call a game NOT a homebrew?

OK

Regardless of the subject i have a few of questions:

1 - What exactly IS a homebrew game, what are the specific criteria?

2 - Is it an insult for a game to be considered a homebrew anyway? Does being labelled a homebrew carry negative connotations?

3 - Is it worth taking steps which might be outlined in the asnwer to Q1 to be able to call a game NOT a homebrew?

Interesting, I guess the people who coined the word 'homebrew' can answer that question (n1).

Edited by thomasholzer

Trolls dont do things properly. Trolls are trolls in and out of public. The substance of this post

is less fruit bearing than a dead tree. It serves no purpose other than to start trouble. It's

also funny how he forgets to mentions the fact the Retro gamer thought enough of it to not

only interview me and put my words in their magazine, but they rated Gorf #4 for Jag games.

NOt suprizing he'd forget to mention that tho.

Trolls dont do things properly. Trolls are trolls in and out of public. The substance of this post

is less fruit bearing than a dead tree. It serves no purpose other than to start trouble. It's

also funny how he forgets to mentions the fact the Retro gamer thought enough of it to not

only interview me and put my words in their magazine, but they rated Gorf #4 for Jag games.

He did forget to mention this, and yes, he's just joined DP to make trouble. But it's no use talking to Stuart Campbell, he just doesn't understand.

Edited by thomasholzer

He did forget to mention this, and yes, he's just joined DP to make trouble. But it's no use talking to Stuart Campbell, he just doesn't understand.

Im really not interested....really.

I always looked at such releases as "independent", not homebrew.

There's a difference, IMHO, between hobbyists (homebrew devs) and devs that actually take the time and effort to make somewhat professional releases in terms of packaging, etc. (independent, indy devs).

If you guys are familiar with the Dreamcast scene, then a homebrew would be something like the various versions of Tetris that were done by hobbyists, or the various modifications of Beats of Rage. Indy releases would be something like the DC releases at GOAT Store, or that recent hori shmup Last Hope that was released for DC but was an unlicensed game.

In other words, if it's for profit, it's an indy release. If it's free, it's a homebrew release.

I always looked at such releases as "independent", not homebrew.

There's a difference, IMHO, between hobbyists (homebrew devs) and devs that actually take the time and effort to make somewhat professional releases in terms of packaging, etc. (independent, indy devs).

If you guys are familiar with the Dreamcast scene, then a homebrew would be something like the various versions of Tetris that were done by hobbyists, or the various modifications of Beats of Rage. Indy releases would be something like the DC releases at GOAT Store, or that recent hori shmup Last Hope that was released for DC but was an unlicensed game.

In other words, if it's for profit, it's an indy release. If it's free, it's a homebrew release.

I dont think cost really seperates them. There are titles that can clearly be homebrews

like 2600 games that have to be on cart for those without upload means. So Carts cost.

But yeah for profit, that is another tricky question. Say we release a Jag game and

after cost of material, we get back a $500 on the first few hundred? is that a profit?

Harldy...no one got paid for all the hours that went into the game. Gorf had some cash

left over after cost, but nobody on my team feels a profit was turned and gorf was as

professional a game as we could make it. You see....it's not that cut and dry unfortunately.

Profit is selling a game and making enough back to pay for the cost and salaries of the coders,

artists and whom ever else and still have a money left over for the bank. That does not make

a private game company anyless professional if they dont however. Shit Atari and Midway would

no longer be considered professional...they are both hardly what you can call profitable.

I feel the quality of the release is what makes a release professional or not. If it matches or surpasses

professional standards, it is indeed a professional product. If we mailed out gorf on labelless or sparsley

printed CD's in a white disck evelope, that would hardly be professional. That is 180 from reality. Gorf

was done professionally accordng to they typical mainstream market standards.

Gorf

1.) What is your company called?

2.) When was the company registered?

3.) Were taxes paid?

4.) Were royalties paid?

5.) What company pressed the discs?

6.) Which stores carried it?

* crickets *

I thought so.

At best you can call it a "Indy" game, which is practically the same as "homebrew".

Gorf

* crickets *

I thought so.

At best you can call it a "Indy" game, which is practically the same as "homebrew".

1.) What is your company called?

3D Stooges Software Studios

2.) When was the company registered?

In New Jersey in 2000 as Steven Scavone enterprises DBA 3D Stooges Software Studios

Split up this year as 3D Stooges Software Studios, LLC to allow my other two teammates

as equal partners. I still have the Steven Scavone ent. business too.

3.) Were taxes paid?

Yes dear Lord were they!

4.) Were royalties paid?

No as there were no royalties required by Jamie Fenton.

5.) What company pressed the discs?

3DSSS, LLC a video game publishing compnay.

6.) Which stores carried it?

It was an on line product. But you could also buy it from Songbird and from a

few other Jaguar dealers. Scott walters has that list.

* crickets *

Why cuz yer speechelss?

I thought so.

You thought wrong.

You should do yourself some homework or ask questions before you

make an ass of yourself like just now.

Edited by Gorf

While quality/professional packaging, documentation, etc. is prefered, for me it's strictly the quality of the game and how polished it is whether I consider it professional or homebrew. There are PLENTY of professionally published games on the Jaguar AND other systems that are total crap and "homebrew" games I've seen are much better and more polished. Unfortunately if it's professionally published it's considered a professional release, even if the games royally sucks. But I don't consider a game "homebrew" just becuase it's not done by a big development house. The only games I consider "homebrew" for the Jaguar are the ones that are free downloads to burn on CD or upload on BJL, etc. and even most of them look pretty professional once it's loaded. I consider Gorf, Songbird releases, Battlesphere and Telegames releases to all be professional. However, the releases I've seen from Starcat so far seem pretty homebrewish to me...hopefully that may change with later releases, but Jagmind releases, Ocean depths,etc. are no better, IMHO than the JagCode 500 or Diamjag games that are totally free.

Edited by Gunstar

GORF was the very first video game I played, it was on a VIC-20. Then it was PacMan on a arcade machine that was flat that I played for free. The screen shots of the Jaguar Gorf I seen here look great and fun too.

I only hope that I can some day re-release it.

* crickets *

Why cuz yer speechelss?

I thought so.

You thought wrong.

You should do yourself some homework or ask questions before you

make an ass of yourself like just now.

Best comeback post ever, Gorf you da man! :thumbsup:

I hate to get ugly with people but come on...really...how about before the

attidude...just ask the 6 questions.....don't ask them then answer them

all at once unless you know. If he had simply stopped at the questions,

he'd have been fine.

While quality/professional packaging, documentation, etc. is prefered, for me it's strictly the quality of the game and how polished it is whether I consider it professional or homebrew. There are PLENTY of professionally published games on the Jaguar AND other systems that are total crap and "homebrew" games I've seen are much better and more polished. Unfortunately if it's professionally published it's considered a professional release, even if the games royally sucks. But I don't consider a game "homebrew" just becuase it's not done by a big development house. The only games I consider "homebrew" for the Jaguar are the ones that are free downloads to burn on CD or upload on BJL, etc. and even most of them look pretty professional once it's loaded. I consider Gorf, Songbird releases, Battlesphere and Telegames releases to all be professional. However, the releases I've seen from Starcat so far seem pretty homebrewish to me...hopefully that may change with later releases, but Jagmind releases, Ocean depths,etc. are no better, IMHO than the JagCode 500 or Diamjag games that are totally free.

I think I agree. Professionalism is the level of quality of the product, not the circumstances behind it's development.

Again, if it matches or surpasses the same quality as say an Xbox game in packging and printned materials, who the

heck cares if it was in a garage. I can show you half the library of the Jaguar that was called 'professional'...I beg to differ.

But hey they were sanctioned by atari...go figure. I bet you can spend a few days finding compaies, big ones, like Atari

and Apple whos very exsistence started in a garage or some other non typically 'professional' building. You have to start

somewhere.

How many industries alone were borne of accidents? The telephone. Volcanized rubber( there are quite a few industries

right there.) Professional is as professional does. Besides true professionalism does care very much about the product

and indeed takes pride in it. Hobbiests may have the market on that but there are a good deal of TRULY professional

companies that clearly put their heart into a product and stand behind it. I never owned an Apple computer but I can

completely understand why people cant live with out them. the company stands directly behing every thing they make

more so the you'll every see coming from Dell compact or Gateway like PC mfg's.

Gorf may have not been the most technically advanced game you'll ever see, but we put everything we could into

that game to be sure it was worth the wait. As far as I can tell very few we're not satisfied with the product and that

was only based on game preference. I never heard anyone complain about the quality except myself. I wish we caught

those darn bugs!!! ARRRGH! But at least they are non fatal and only annoying ones. Im still not happy that we missed

those nonetheless.

Vic-20 Gorf was AWESOME!

I spent so much of my time playing that!

I saved up the money to buy the Vic-20 on my own and loved every minute I spent on it!

I really enjoyed the 80 Character/line mod that the modem software included!

I spent countless hours writing my own games on that thing. :)

Kids now really aren't interested in doing any of the work themselves.

My son uses Click 'N Play to write his own games and Maya to make 3D drawings, but isn't interested in actual code.

Vic-20 Gorf was AWESOME!

I spent so much of my time playing that!

I saved up the money to buy the Vic-20 on my own and loved every minute I spent on it!

I really enjoyed the 80 Character/line mod that the modem software included!

I spent countless hours writing my own games on that thing. :)

Kids now really aren't interested in doing any of the work themselves.

My son uses Click 'N Play to write his own games and Maya to make 3D drawings, but isn't interested in actual code.

That is sad.....it is becoming a lost art with all these newgame builder apps.