IGNORED

Development Environment

JayoK

After a age-old break I feel like getting back into A8 software writing again. Back in the day I used SpartaDosX and MAC/65 on a 256KB 800XL. It was great for development with DDT and all that. I still have the old hardware but I think the PC would be quicker for development. With this in mind, what do you recommend for the following:

* Code Editor

* Assembler

* Disassember

* Boot Disk Creation

Thanks!

I'm strange, I use TextPad with my own symbol/coloring file and TASM, which is very sensible and straightforward but lacks some of the more advanced features of other assemblers (like bank-switched code support). I also keep Atari800Win handy, and if you hook-up APE and SIO2PC, you can quickly have a real 8-bit run anything you assemble.

-Bry

I prefer to code directly onto my 800XL, using either Kyan Pascal or Quick and SIO2PC (with Serial2USB) connected to my Mac using SIO2OSX software. Unfortunately, my A8 is in storage at the moment, so I am using Atar800MacX with the above programs at the moment.

I do however, have CC65 installed and if I ever decide to use it, I will be using Text Wrangler (BBEdit's little brother) for coding.

I'm developing a port of "Wizardry I" on my Mac (currently out for repairs... hard drive is fine, though I was unable to make a back-up before I sent it out [crossing-fingers]). For that I using

Editor: EMACS (it doesn't get any better)

Assembler: XASM (compiles nice under 10.4)

Graphics: Graph2Font (runs under Darwine)

Any other tools used, such as AMP (haven't got used to RMT yet), are all run under Atari800MacX

On my Linux system that has an unfinished port of SSI's "Dungeon Master's Assistant: Volume I - Encounters" upgraded to 3.5E ruleset, I use pretty much the same tools only wine, rather than darwine, for graph2font...

VI come on...had to use it when i was a student somewhere in 1994.... holy crap...unix is crap... ;)

how did you get xasm run on mac os 10?

asking why i am considering getting a imac...

had to build the GNU D compiler against gcc 4.1.1 sources... it's fine from there...

Edited by dwhyte

I agree that EMACS 'doesn't get any better'. I've tried almost every version since it came out and they ALL suck. Real programmers use VI .

Nah, kidding...just had to take a swipe at EMACS for old times sake :)

VI... isn't that the poor man's text editor... lol...

VI... isn't that the poor man's text editor... lol...

In all seriousness, I use vim (VI Improved, http://www.vim.org) to edit A8 and 2600 assembly code. It supports color syntax highlighting (defined my own 6502 syntax file), keyword/label completion (type "STA WS" and press Tab, it completes to "STA WSYNC"), and tags (press control-] on a system equate, editor will jump to its definition in my equates.inc file, opening it in a new buffer if necessary. Control-T goes back to where I started).

Also I've got the F9 key bound to "make" (and a Makefile that calls DASM to assemble the code). F10 is "make test", which creates a disk image with DOS and my binary and runs atariserver (think APE for Linux), and F11 is "make emutest", which runs it in atari800 so I can use its debugger.

Another feature I'll probably implement some rainy day is to turn the online version of "Mapping the Atari" into a VIM help file, and arrange things so I press F1 on a label or location to open a help window, looking at that label's description in the book.

Vim: It's not your daddy's VI :)

Actually I'm so much of a vim addict that I have a browser plugin for Firefox that lets me write these forum posts with vim, too! I use a dictionary for completion, so I type e.g. "dict" and Tab, to get the word "dictionary" (actually needs multiple Tab presses, cycles through all the words beginning with "dict").

BTW, I don't know how well it compares to other assemblers mentioned here, but DASM is pretty nice, and runs on Linux/Mac/Windows/DOS. I started using it when I was doing 2600/VCS coding (it's the standard assembler for the VCS homebrewers), and have just kept using it now that I'm doing A8 stuff. It supports macros, conditional assembly, strings in .byte directives, all the standard stuff you'd want. The one thing it doesn't do is generate boot disks or DOS binary load files automatically (but I created a template .dasm file that does).

Primarily the CA65 assembler and LD65 linker from the CC65 suite

along with TextPad as my editor (using syntax highlighting).

Builds are controlled through Makefiles and so I use either

gnumake under a plain DOS window, or more often than

not use the Cygwin or MinGW environments to provide all

those useful Unix tools.

There are quite a lot of good IDEs out there and it would be

good to know if anyone has experimented with hooking their

toolkit into one of these, e.g. erroring line numbers reported

during builds could be drilled-to for fixing?

Some IDEs that I've used that I think could be suitable

as they have the ability to customize the build toolset:

Visual Studio 6 (or even the .NET IDEs)

Microchip's MPLAB IDE (primarily for PIC chips)

ST7 Visual Develop

I been using Eclipse of late and that, with a fair bit

of work I'd imagine, could be tailored for development.

(especially if it could integrate with A800Win or Atari++

to provide stepwise debugging :))

Also does anyone have experience of Raisonance's RIDE

software toolset and can comment on its suitability?

Regards,

Mark