IGNORED

Early Atari 8 bit artwork

I bought a bunch (6) of original Atari artworks featuring the 600xl. I have bought them from the artist who made them in 1983!

First pic is the original work the following one is the released flyer...... :D

For fans of O 2001: A Space Odyssey a must have.................... :cool:

post-10670-1184077018_thumb.jpg

post-10670-1184076983_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Very interesting to me, since my first computer was a 600XL. Even though back then I wanted an 800XL, and today have one, I still have a soft spot for the 600.

That said, I don't think I gained anything as substantive or grandiose as those ads would suggest from my 600XL. I played PacMan and Star Wars Arcade game cartridges, typed in BASIC game programs from books and saved them to my 1010 cassette drive. That's about it. It was pretty much just another toy and game machine for me.

I have to say that I agree with the statements made in that poster.

The only repairs I've made to the Atari was 1 1050 drive mechanism, 130XE keyboard

membrane, and several joysticks, carts. At one point I got very good at using

Advanced Atari BASIC, but very little ML. In the 90's I taught myself everything I

could learn about IBM compatibles. In '99 I started my own business High-End Systems,

and know as much or more than any computer technician I have ever met.

So yeah, my 800XL contributed tremendously to my present day proficiency with

computers. Ofcourse I no longer repair 8-bits today as MetalGuy66 and others on here

do. Now'a days we have 64-bit processors, but I still love my 8-bit Atari!

Very interesting to me, since my first computer was a 600XL. Even though back then I wanted an 800XL, and today have one, I still have a soft spot for the 600.

That said, I don't think I gained anything as substantive or grandiose as those ads would suggest from my 600XL. I played PacMan and Star Wars Arcade game cartridges, typed in BASIC game programs from books and saved them to my 1010 cassette drive. That's about it. It was pretty much just another toy and game machine for me.

I also had a 600XL... with a cassette drive. Loved it until I ran into all the programs that needed more memory. I eventually got an 800XL. In my case, the 8-bits did help me with my current profession (web developer). Spending a lot of time with BASIC really gave me a head start in what I do day-to-day now. A far cry from building an orbiting space station, of course... :-)

I also spent a fair amount of time playing games but the 8-bit served me well with programming and schoolwork.

I also had a 600XL... with a cassette drive. Loved it until I ran into all the programs that needed more memory. I eventually got an 800XL. In my case, the 8-bits did help me with my current profession (web developer). Spending a lot of time with BASIC really gave me a head start in what I do day-to-day now. A far cry from building an orbiting space station, of course... :-)

I also spent a fair amount of time playing games but the 8-bit served me well with programming and schoolwork.

When I was in high school, computer class was all about learning BASIC. I guess it just never clicked with me. For a while when I was younger, I thought I wanted to pursue a career in computers, like a computer operator or computer programmer, not really knowing what either was. I just liked computers. But then I found out how much math was involved. Math isn't my thing. So I'm a writer instead.

Not having enough memory was always a stumbling block for me back then. I so desperately wanted the memory expansion module for my 600XL, but could never find it. Would've been so much easier if we had the Internet back in 1984. ;)