IGNORED

help decide my next gen console!

so I have a dilemma, I already own a Wii (a like it just dandy) but I need to get either a PS3 or a xbox 360 for games like GTAIV, and with good online play. I have yet to really play any games online (besides a bit on my ds and psp) but It interest me. The PS3 is starting to look up a bit, and the suto price drop is a plus, not to mention i am a huge metal gear fan. It also has a bigger hard drive, which is good. The cons are it still cost $100 more and has a smaller install base at the moment. The 360 on the other hand has a ton of online users, has some great looking games out, but even with the extended 3 year ring of death warranty, i am worried about it breaking on me. call me crazy but i like to have a system last more then 3 years. Most likely before the end of next year I will have them both, but I hope to buy one of the 2 before the end of next month. So if you have one, or both give me some feedback on which would be best to purchase first.

PS. i have no real interest in either HD or bluray..."normal" tv is looking just fine to me.

help please!

If you are going to wind up with both anyways, you're best off getting the one with decent (and cheaper) games available for it now.

360 games can be had for as little as $8.99 used and many of the decent older games are 19.99 - 29.99 brand new.

The PS3 is pretty snazzy (altho jesus does it show fingerprints like a mo-fo) but the exclusive decent games available can be counted on one finger. If you're not interested in a new media format for watching flicks, get the system that has games. Maybe in another 6 months to a year the PS3's library will be decent enough to warrant a purchase. Which seems to fit into your owning all 3 systems schedule.

Edited by moycon

I really don't see what the issue is. I mean if you do want online play and you don't want blue-ray or hd-dvd then it seems to me you answered your own question... Get the 360, for what you want that's the only sensible decision.

Hmm. You like Metal Gear Solid but that's still a way off (at least one more price drop away, that's for sure) and (like myself) you want a 360 but are worried about it dying on you.

I'd say wait. Don't buy either for now. The PS3 price will drop further (and the game you want will eventually surface) and there simply has to be a 360 revision (almost certainly with the 45nm chip) fairly soon.

If the money is burning a hole right in your pocket then I'd have to go for the 360. It's going to have a lot more great games in the near future. I think it's going to be at least 18 months till the PS3 really gets it's game on.

Wait at this time for both systems.

The ps 3 is a system that you should wait till next year. Most of its big games like Metal Gear will be released next year. I highly doubt it Sony will have an another price drop on the ps 3 next year. If there is a price drop next year, it will be the 80 gb hard disk drive system. The catch would be that version of the ps 3 would at the same price as the 60 gb Hard Disk Drive. The 60 gb Hard Disk Drive version would be gone by then.

The 360 has a bigger Hard Disk Drive then the newest ps 3 has. The issues with the durability will not as bad next year. Microsoft is working on a smaller nm chip. It will decrease the problems of the 360 has from a hardware stand point and price should be cheaper as a result also.

I would have to say the 360. If you don't mind refurbed (still comes with Microsoft's new 3 year warranty), it can be had for $280 plus shipping. They have a huge online presence, more games, and I still feel the 360 hardware is superior then the PS3's. But we will leave that for another debate. If you wait until August 7th, I believe they will be doing a price drop. Somebody took a picture of an upcoming Wal-Mart add and had the premium listed at $350. If interested in the refurbed, pm me, I will send you the link.

Corey

I would get a SNES and stick to that but if I had to choose I would get a PS3

First thing I would such for documents telling about

1. Upgrading PS3

2. Region free PS3.

3. Taking apart and reconstructing my PS3.

and so on.

Then I would get the parts of a PS3 and then put them together to make my own PS3, get a Blu-ray/HD-DVD drive make it and th ePS3 region free, and then rapaint the case in something neo.

The 360 and Wii was made to attack the PS3 while the Wii conceal itself as a super toy the games on it could probably work on GCN with a upgrade attachment and faster drive modem andupgraded lid top.

The PS3 is the only thing that you will see that is diffrent this time around. Also remember the SNES was sappose to have the PSX add-on and it costed more then it really was to built.

Honestly I would not get any of them and save my money. There is nothing not even a release of any series that would push me to get them.

the 360 seems like the best call so far...I am moving to cali on the 7th, so i am planning on getting it mid next month. I saw the referb deal and almost bought it, but with this price drop news I will hold off. Also any tinkerers gone into the 360 here? i was wondering how hard it is to fix the damn things (not just5 for 3 ring, but overall complexity). I have also been reading about the darkness and that seems cool.

thanks for the replys! keep em coming

360, for all the reasons mentioned above.

The 360 and Wii was made to attack the PS3 while the Wii conceal itself as a super toy the games on it could probably work on GCN with a upgrade attachment and faster drive modem andupgraded lid top.

The PS3 is the only thing that you will see that is diffrent this time around. Also remember the SNES was sappose to have the PSX add-on and it costed more then it really was to built.

1185595871266.jpg

Edited by Cheese007

If you want good online play then the 360 is the way to go. LIVE is so amazing and smooth. The PS3's online needs some work, I got kicked off time to time while playing Resistance against my friend in London. Metal Gear is my favorite game series which is why I bought the PS3. If you've played all the Metal Gear games, then maybe you should look into getting a PS3. If you haven't already watch the video demonstration of the actual in footage at gametrailers.com in HD. They improved the game play DRASTICALLY! I can't really recommend the PS3 unless you are as a big Metal Gear fan as me. The 360 just has so many good exclusive games right now.

Still many new games released for 360, Wii, PS2, PSP dont show up on PS3. Thats something even I can see when browsing the stores and made me think about the success of PS3 so far [and I do like SONY a lot and wish they do well].

Personally I would wait until they shrink the PS3 half to its size down the road in maybe 3 years. By then you pay 249 bucks and the library should be all along the wall in EBGames.

Well, I wanted to have a PS2 since its debut back in 2000 and havent bought any yet. I am still thinking to get one when the price drops to 99 bucks or so. But I am cheap and dont need to play games on the hottest hardware.

I just bought a PS3, and here's why, maybe some of these same things apply here:

1. Xbox 360 RROD. Sorry, I'm not going to trust this system until they've been on the market another six months and the new systems out there have a clearer track record. It doesn't make sense to buy a 360 right now.

2. PS3 is not dropping any further in price any time soon. The writing's on the wall - the 60GB is going to take a few months to clear out, then the 80GB will drop to $499. It's going to stay there for at least a few months itself, meaning you're looking at probably 6-8 months at minimum before there will be another price drop and you'll be able to buy a PS3 for less than $499. Unless you care more about 20 extra GB than you do about PS2 backward compatibility, then you'd better buy now.

3. Sony had a better E3 showing. They've got some innovative games coming, some nice exclusives and they didn't spend half their press conference trying to hype up the fact that their non-exclusive games run "faster" than they do on the competition. I felt like MS really had nothing much to talk about over the next year.

4. I wanted Blu-Ray. I would have bought a standalone player if I didn't buy the PS3.

That said, I don't really know if either system is worth it if you don't care about HD or movies. Both systems were made for HD - you're not gonna see a huge difference between the 360 and the regular Xbox on a small standard-def TV set. I wanted a new system because I have a 42" 1080p TV - otherwise I would have waited probably another year (by then the prices probably will drop again, and the RROD's hopefully really will be a thing of the past). There's no unique gameplay experience on either system yet - both are pretty heavily loaded with shooters and sports games, which you can get just as easily on last-gen systems.

The PS3's online needs some work, I got kicked off time to time while playing Resistance against my friend in London.

I have never been kicked off in Resistance and I play it every single night.

The PS3's online experience is exactly what I want. No fees (I can't stress this enough), download purchases are set in actual freakin' dollars (none of this "points" nonsense), and you can play either with a headset, a keyboard, or nothing for communication. In XBL, since everybody has a headset, it's expected that you use one - and people will kick you out of their hosted games if you don't. Makes it really irritating if you don't want to sit there listening to a bunch of childish punks.

The PS3 online experience is more like the PC online experience except that your name is persistent across all games and you're always logged in. But other than that, I find it a lot more intuitive and less intrusive than XBL.

In XBL, since everybody has a headset, it's expected that you use one - and people will kick you out of their hosted games if you don't. Makes it really irritating if you don't want to sit there listening to a bunch of childish punks.

Are you positive this is a true statement or more of an opinion? I for one can assure you...it's not 100% true anyways. I play on Live quite often, and since I've gotten the 360 (1 year and 3 months +) I don't notice what your describing at all. It's all well and good to enjoy you new purchase, but let's not fabricate reasons why you made the right choice. ;)

I never use my headset unless I am playing with a friend. I never get kicked out of games for not having one.

The RRD is nothing to worry about since MS has expanded their warranty coverage. It's a non factor.

If, or when MS can figure out how to keep their consoles from dying, then it will be a non-factor.

Personally, I wouldn't get either of them.

On one hand, the 360 has loads of games, but the console will probably crap out at any time.

On the other, the ps3 seems to have more reliable hardware, but has squat for games.

It's like trying to decide whether to eat solid or liquid feces.

I have been tempted to pick up a used 360 since it's resale value is 1/3rd of what it costs new,

but it's not really not worth the risk.

Edited by warmachine

• 7 months later...

My favorite system is the PS3 but I like the 360 too cause of some of the games on it. I dont know what to say, if you have a bunch of PS2 or PS1 games and like RPG's maybe go with the PS3 but if you like online gaming and first person shooters (and spending some cash for subscriptions to play with friends etc) get the 360.

The WII is not enough. At least to me. Need one more system along with it.

Edited by cimerians

I agree with the chart.

That chart explains why videogame sales on the PC are so high...eh? ;)

Consumers spent nearly ten billion dollars on videogame software last year, according to data from the NPD Group and the Entertainment Software Association. The bulk of that was on console games, which saw $6.6 billion in sales. Handheld software saw $2 billion, while PC games trailed with $0.9 billion

Apparently the majority of people buying videogames...don't actually like videogames!! Who knew. :P

Edited by moycon