IGNORED

Jr Pac-man

Atari freak 1

Dude, I totally suck at Jr. Pac-man. I have a real love/hate relationship with the game. I love to play it, but it really ticks me off.

On rare occasion I can reach the 4th maze, and I don't often get off the first maze without losing at least one life.

It is hella hard and that may be one of the reasons I love/hate it so much.

I'll keep an eye out for a copy for you.

:spidey:

"there's pac-man ms. pac-man pac-man jr. baby pac-man pac-man world revenge of pac-man sister pac-man.. and we love them."

"we love all those pac-men!"

... >.> ... sorry, memories of one of my faovrite video review shows =P

One of the few games I actualy had as a kid, in fact I had all the Pac-Man games..

But yeah, it's one hard cookie, and one of the only games I like playing now. Try using a pad instead of a stick, should improve your game no end as Jr. can be a bit fiddly at times. Also try getting the little bikey thing as soon as, if you leave it too long then it'll mess ya no end.

BTW do people find it really tricky to 'group' the ghosts?

As hard as Jr. is, I've become fairly good at it. Playing against four ghosts, I almost always reach maze 3 (drum), usually maze 4 (balloon), and occasionally maze 5 (train.) Battling the Fearsome Foursome has helped me develop some strategies, based on their A.I. and how Jr.'s play mechanics differ from the arcade:

1. Use the whole maze to elude the ghosts by constantly moving forward to another area. Lacking the warp tunnels of Pac or Ms. Pac, it's your only escape route anyway. Avoid doubling back on your path, which confines you to a corner of the maze, making it easier for the ghosts to home in. Run "laps", moving around the outside perimeter in a big circle. Run a slightly different path on each pass to clear dots. Pick up islands of "straggler" dots only when the ghosts are far away or scared.

2. Ghost A.I. is only concerned with getting onto the same horizontal and vertical plane as you. Twisty mazes with long corridors are much harder for them to negotiate, and less forgiving: not being able to reverse a bad decision, they're fated to run the full length of a poorly chosen corridor.

Based on this observation, the maze difficulties are:

Bike - hard

Kite - moderately easy

Drum - moderately hard

Balloon - moderately easy

Train - $#^@&*$^ HARD!!

Kitty - Easy!

Root Beer - moderately hard

To see this principle in action, start on the Train level with four ghosts. See how many tries it takes you to finish it, even with a full complement of Jr's. Now compare to the next level, Kitty, which should be harder, but keeps the ghosts off your back due to its twisty passages.

3. Always munch two or more ghosts, preferably the mean red and purple ones, with every power pellet. Compared to the arcade, ghost eyes return to the box slowly, moving at the ghost's normal speed and halting whenever one is eaten, buying you precious seconds of blissful freedom from GOYA (Ghosts-On-Your-Ass.) Doubly important for later mazes with weaker power pellets.

4. Ghosts attempting to leave the top or bottom of the viewable maze area will double back. Use this to "bounce" fleeing scared ghosts toward you by running away from them vertically. This technique can also trap aggressive ghosts in U-shaped passages.

5. In the arcade, ghost A.I. follows a cycle: chase you, reverse, retreat to patrol a designated territory, reverse, repeat. In 2600 Jr., the ghosts are always chasing you, even after a reverse. I don't have any handy tip here, except to remember that you're always on the run.

6. The ghosts only reverse direction when a) you eat a power pellet, b) they hit a vertical screen boundary, or c) they all reverse together, which happens regularly, but rarely. This means you can safely *follow* ghosts, especially the passive orange and green ones. If they do reverse, red and purple (who are surely following you) will too. If your reflexes are fast enough, you, too, can reverse, running the whole parade in the opposite direction without being killed.

7. Running twisty passages to "cut corners" and pull away from severe GOYA won't work like it does in the arcade. Get thee to a power pellet.

WOW! Thanks that really helps! This game frustrates me to no end sometimes. Double thanks since, in case you have not heard, releasing video game strategies is mucho taboo, since they are quite valuable! (:roll: :roll: :roll: )

Your sharing is MUCH appreciated!!!! Big thanks!

Stan :spidey:

Hello fellow gamers:

Top 3 verified world record scores on the 4-ghost version are as follows...

1,794,250 by Robert Macauley of Australia (PAL)

902,660 by Mark Feldt (NTSC)

340,730 by Ron Corcoran (NTSC), a TG referee

If you want to see verified and posted world record scores, log onto www.twingalaxies.com then select from the left side of the menu the "Scoreboard" option, select the game title and the platform.

I recommend you use a minimal title but the actual platform. For instance, for Pacman-type games, it could have been that Junior Pacman was entered as "Jr Pacman", "Jr. Pacman", "Junior Pacman", "Junior _pac-Man", etc. Basically, using "Pac" for the title and choosing Atari 2600 from the drop down menu is all you need to do.

Robert T Mruczek

Twin Galaxies - Editor and Chief referee

Star Wars classic arcade champion

(212) 366-3036 (work-day)

rmruczek@doremus.com (work E-MAIL)

• 3 years later...

Another thing that is annoying is the fact that your character can not reverse as fast as the ghosts(it seems to glide a bit before reversing),so following the red or purple ghosts is not a good idea at all.

I can barely get to level 3 and consider it lucky to get to four; I can hardly get to level two without losing a life.Whenever I need a lesson in humility I just play Pac-Man Jr!

Another thing that is annoying is the fact that your character can not reverse as fast as the ghosts(it seems to glide a bit before reversing),so following the red or purple ghosts is not a good idea at all.

I can barely get to level 3 and consider it lucky to get to four; I can hardly get to level two without losing a life.Whenever I need a lesson in humility I just play Pac-Man Jr!

BTW, Nukey did a hack that allows the player to move faster by pushing the fire button. Still no picnic, but a lot easier.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry to dig the thread back up

Yeah,

Me too.

I just picked up Jr Pac today and WHAT A GAME!

I always figgered since I had played most pac games out there that this wouldn't be much different.

I picked it up today at a game store for two bucks and it is worth 20 if you count fun factor and difficulty!

Have yet to clear maze number one yet :x

I don't really remember this from the arcades, was it a flop as a coin op?

WP

No, I don't think it was a flop. That was certainly one of the more common ones that were, uhh...uncommon, if you will (that is, not Ms. Pac-Man or Pac-Land).

I found it odd, though, when I saw it at Kay-Bee and wondered whether I was seeing things or maybe they really DID do a Jr. Pac-Man. I mean...what about Super Pac-Man? Exciting New Pac-Man Plus??