IGNORED

AdventureWriter Save/Load Question

yorgle

I'm having trouble figuring out why I can't save and reload work in progress files using AdventureWriter. The files appear to save ok and show up on the disk directory, but when I try to load back into AdventureWriter, I get an "I/O Error" message. I'm using an 800xl and 1050 drive. Is this one of the xl vs 800 compatability issues I've read about? Has anyone here ever used this program before and had a similar problem?

Hi Yorgle,

I have recreated your problem by selecting Save Adventure, hen trying to reload it with Load Database.

To save an adventure for later editing, you need to use the Save Database option.

The Save Adventure option is for creating stand alone adventures for distribution.

Hi Yorgle,

I have recreated your problem by selecting Save Adventure, hen trying to reload it with Load Database.

To save an adventure for later editing, you need to use the Save Database option.

The Save Adventure option is for creating stand alone adventures for distribution.

Thanks, Pengwin. I'll try that. When the new game is finally done and saved using the "Save Adventure" option, how does one go about running the new game? I see on the directory that the "Save Adventure" option creates two files: "XXXXX.ADV" and "XXXXX.PRG"

Thanks, Pengwin. I'll try that. When the new game is finally done and saved using the "Save Adventure" option, how does one go about running the new game? I see on the directory that the "Save Adventure" option creates two files: "XXXXX.ADV" and "XXXXX.PRG"

the new file with extension .PRG is the executable (the game itself).

run it and you should see the game.

Select option L BINARY LOAD from the DOS menu to load and run your adventure.

However, if you want your adventure to be an autorun disk, follow these steps:

Load DOS

Select option H. WRITE DOS FILES to make your game disk bootable

Select option E. RENAME FILE to change the name of the main program to AUTORUN.SYS

For instance change the name of DRAGONS.PRG to AUTORUN.SYS. The PRG files are the programs, whereas the ADV files are the adventure datafiles

Select option L BINARY LOAD from the DOS menu to load and run your adventure.

However, if you want your adventure to be an autorun disk, follow these steps:

Load DOS

Select option H. WRITE DOS FILES to make your game disk bootable

Select option E. RENAME FILE to change the name of the main program to AUTORUN.SYS

For instance change the name of DRAGONS.PRG to AUTORUN.SYS. The PRG files are the programs, whereas the ADV files are the adventure datafiles

Thanks for all the help, folks.

Hello,

Continuing this tread of AdventureWriter, anybody Know how can I insert a Carriage Return in the Text Messages.

I know in Atascii is 155, but in this software?

Kind Regards,

Devwebcl

I was wondering the same thing. So far, my daughter and I have simply been using spaces to align the text but this probably wastes memory.

Looking the messages that brings by default AW, only with whitespaces can be done a carriage return (at least for a8).

Huh?

I mean there is no way to insert any character to simulate a Carriage Return (chr 155 in atari basic)

the only solution is the one you mentioned earlier, inserting spaces until align the text.

Looking the messages that brings by default AW, only with whitespaces can be done a carriage return (at least for a8).

Huh?

I mean there is no way to insert any character to simulate a Carriage Return (chr 155 in atari basic)

the only solution is the one you mentioned earlier, inserting spaces until align the text.

Now I get it. Thanks.

btw, are you doing any new game?

or just playing around with adventurewriter?

Cheers,

Devwebcl

My daughter and I are working on a game together. She plans to call it Dragons. You start out locked inside a dungeon inside a castle that is guarded by dragons. Obviously, the goal is simply to get out alive.

My daughter and I are working on a game together. She plans to call it Dragons. You start out locked inside a dungeon inside a castle that is guarded by dragons. Obviously, the goal is simply to get out alive.

Great!, Nice to see kids using the atari these days!

Please, when you finish it, please release it to the public.

Cheers,

Devwebcl

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Dev & Yorgle --

Shift-Return is a different character from the normal return. Try that (it works on my C-64, but I've never used AW on the Atari).

Now, here's my question: Does anyone know of an online transcription of the manual (for any computer)? I can't find it anywhere. The (overrated anyway) Lemon 64 site doesn't even have it. I've been figuring out how to use it just from the sample adventure's commands etc., and I'm sure I'll be fine with that; but it never hurts to check out the tutorial. Thanks for any info.

Edited by Chris++