IGNORED

Jaguar vs. Nuon

Trip_Cannon

No guys! I'm really serious!

So I've always heard that Nuon was made by ex Atari employees and all that. And with that it suffered the same fate, or even worse. So it's another system we'll never get to see the full potential. How similar were they? Was it easier to develop for? Could it have been compared to the Jag or Jag II perhaps? Could Tempest 3000 or Iron Soldier 3 been created on the Jag?

No guys! I'm really serious!

So I've always heard that Nuon was made by ex Atari employees and all that. And with that it suffered the same fate, or even worse. So it's another system we'll never get to see the full potential. How similar were they? Was it easier to develop for? Could it have been compared to the Jag or Jag II perhaps? Could Tempest 3000 or Iron Soldier 3 been created on the Jag?

Not at all similar.

Yes... it had real tools with libraries written by real programmer(with balls that is).

Not even close.

Not anything like what the Nuon does.

Shame... It's real hard to tell its true power with games like Ballistic and Space Invaders XL... Even some of the unreleased games were no better than the 10 year old library of the Jaguars.. games like Dragons Lair, Space Ace, Myst, Pitfall...

Tempest 3k does'nt show its true power?

Nuon is slighty less powerful than DC, very slighty.

Again Like the Jaguar is has no dedicated 3D hardware.

Nuon's Aries chip runs at 56 mhz compared to the 200mhz

of the SH4 in the DC.

Why can it just about keep up? It has four cores all of which

grab 256 bits of instruction(Im pretty sure..been a while)

in one grab and decodes it all swiftly. Its a total ball buster to

code for but it is as flexible as youe'll ever need it to be.

Outside of ploygons, the Nuon will hand any other console

before xbox 360 its ass in single pixel manipulation. 360

has some serious gfx hardware so even if it cant do it on

a pixel by pixel basis, it will fake it unoticably with polygons

(pretending to be pixels.) Just consider the insane amount

of triangles the latest gen of consoles can push per frame,

never mind per second. Nuon would get it's ass whooped.

Now if only I did'nt have to burn a CD every time I wanted

to upload code for it. You nuon owners woul be playing

several titles by now.

Shame... It's real hard to tell its true power with games like Ballistic and Space Invaders XL... Even some of the unreleased games were no better than the 10 year old library of the Jaguars.. games like Dragons Lair, Space Ace, Myst, Pitfall...

Tempest 3k does'nt show its true power?

You see, I don't know... :) with T3K being a first generation title, I doubt Nuon shot all its load on that one game... and games like Space Invaders and New Tetris didn't help...

Edited by Trip_Cannon

Based only on the screen shots I've seen of FreeFall 3050, the closest visual analogy would be Perfect Dark running in high resolution at 30-60 frames per second, with enhanced textures. ( The N64 can't achieve this, or even come close. )

To give you an idea of what we're talking about -

post-12969-1186155420_thumb.jpg

It looks like what Nintendo fanboys remember the N64 looking like, not what it actually looks like.

I own a Nuon and Freefall... and it doesn't look like Perfect Dark nor does it have the vast playability or large world that PD does... Freefall, once into the game... looks only slightly better than a PS1 game in my opinion...

Serves me right for squinting at JPEGs. Can you serve us some screenshots? It's near impossible to find anything larger than 300 pixels wide.

I've always thought, just like in the past with the 3DO architecture, that the guys behind NUON (I think it was VM Labs) would've been better served selling the technology outright to a single manufacturer rather than trying to go the licensing route.

That's what hurt 3DO Multiplayer in the marketplace: high hardware prices due to the manufacturers not getting cuts of royalties and having to pay license fees to even manufacture the console. NUON had a similar, if not the same, business set up.

And it just wasn't going to work that well as a game console because of that, and because they were trying to market it as a "entertainment" device that also played games rather than a game player.

It was 3DO all over again.

BTW, I'd say having no dedicated 3D hardware woud make it more (less?) than "slightly less" powerful than Dreamcast. Because then all 3D routines have to tax the Aries. The SH4 on DC isn't taxed for such things because it has that spiffy PowerVR GPU. So, in a way, NUON is sort of like PS2 vs. DC, except it doesn't have the benefit of the power that PS2 does. So while comparing just the SH4 and the Aries might seem to put NUON on a more even keel to DC, the fact that DC has dedicated 3D hardware and NUON doesn't, as well as NUON having software intensive routines, lets DC pull off things in hardware that one would have to run software routines to get running on NUON, just like with PS2. With PS2, which is more powerful than DC, this puts DC on a more even keel with that console and brings PS2 "down to earth". With NUON, which is already less powerful than DC, it puts puts DC even higher.

If it were released as a stand-alone home console I'd put it in the same gen as DC, PS2, GC, and XBox. But in that case it'd be like what 3DO was to Jag, PSone, Saturn, and N64. Same gen, but less powerful overall than any of them. Probably even less than that, actually.

Merlin Racing looks cleaner, IMHO. Textures seem sharper, for one.

And I know it's running at a faster frame rate than Diddy Kong Racing (which should be the comparison, IMHO, as Mario Kart 64 had rendered sprite characters). Similar deal with it vs. something like Crash Team Racing, from what I could tell. Better quality textures, faster frame rate.

But I don't think it taxed the NUON or anything. I think it could've been better.

Alright, here's some images captured straight from the machine... I couldn't find my controller so I did the best I could with remote.. so the screen shots aren't the most exciting... but you'll get a decent idea, I hope..

post-5036-1186184703_thumb.jpg

post-5036-1186184724_thumb.jpg

post-5036-1186184741_thumb.jpg

Thank you!

I'll make sure when I donate organs, you get first choice, soon as I find a donor.

Looking over these screens, it looks like everything has a smooth, metallic glow to it, and the player's shape is where all the polys went. Is this true of the game itself?

It's a pretty smooth game overall, and it looks nice, but it wasn't what I thought it was going to be...

I took the images straight from the DVD to my digital camcorder via SVHS to my computer via firewire...

I think you may be used to xbox and PS3... that's what the images look like..

Merlin Racing looks cleaner, IMHO. Textures seem sharper, for one.

And I know it's running at a faster frame rate than Diddy Kong Racing (which should be the comparison, IMHO, as Mario Kart 64 had rendered sprite characters). Similar deal with it vs. something like Crash Team Racing, from what I could tell. Better quality textures, faster frame rate.

But I don't think it taxed the NUON or anything. I think it could've been better.

None of the Nuon games taxed the Nuon...Not even Tempest 3k.

There are four cores in there. Minter probably came closest but

I hardly think he exhausted the systems abilities.