IGNORED

Looking for a serial (disk drive) cable

I have an Atari 800 that, after a long layoff, I am going to try to hook up and have active. I am originally from Rochester, NY and had kept the 800 at my parents' home before moving to Colorado.

At some point over the last nine years, the serial cable that I was using to go from the Atari to the disk drive was lost in the basement. Does anyone know if there is a good spot on the web to buy a replacement cable? I checked eBay and while there is one there, the seller ships once a week and I just missed his ship time. Not a big deal, but if there is a vintage seller that you guys know about, I definitely want to be in the knowledge loop.

(I'm also not 100% certain how to hook the 800 up to a TV, as the TV I was hoping to use just has RCA plugs. Is there a modern-day adapter for that, too?)

Thanks

-- Robb

I have an Atari 800 that, after a long layoff, I am going to try to hook up and have active. I am originally from Rochester, NY and had kept the 800 at my parents' home before moving to Colorado.

At some point over the last nine years, the serial cable that I was using to go from the Atari to the disk drive was lost in the basement. Does anyone know if there is a good spot on the web to buy a replacement cable? I checked eBay and while there is one there, the seller ships once a week and I just missed his ship time. Not a big deal, but if there is a vintage seller that you guys know about, I definitely want to be in the knowledge loop.

(I'm also not 100% certain how to hook the 800 up to a TV, as the TV I was hoping to use just has RCA plugs. Is there a modern-day adapter for that, too?)

Thanks

-- Robb

The best video from an Atari 8-bit is available on s-video TV inputs. Newer televisions have not only composite, but s-video (looks like a PS2 keyboard connector) and component (RCA) jacks. Not sure if you can get a pre-made s-video cable, though (anybody here know?). Composite cables (and your SIO cable) are available from B&C at myatari.com. or best-electronics-ca.com.

Enjoy your 800!

Bob

Thanks

-- Robb

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=110156302623

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=260147078223

Edited by WizWor

Thanks

-- Robb

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=110156302623

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=160078905399

The bottom link is for an A/V cable, not an S-video one.

The bottom link is for an A/V cable, not an S-video one.

"as the TV I was hoping to use just has RCA plugs"

My mistake, but I was also answering bob1200xl's question

But the bottom link seems to be for a monochrome video cable, not composite. This would be a Luma source. The Chroma source would be on another plug. (which isn't on this cable) What you need (usually) is a Composite signal. (the Luma and Chroma on the same plug) There seem to be many different video cables floating around, all of which have the 5 pin DIN plug and RCA plugs. But, the colors aren't consistent and many are missing one or more necessary circuits. The best cable is one with all 4 RCA plugs.

Bob

But the bottom link seems to be for a monochrome video cable, not composite. This would be a Luma source. The Chroma source would be on another plug. (which isn't on this cable) What you need (usually) is a Composite signal. (the Luma and Chroma on the same plug) There seem to be many different video cables floating around, all of which have the 5 pin DIN plug and RCA plugs. But, the colors aren't consistent and many are missing one or more necessary circuits. The best cable is one with all 4 RCA plugs.

Bob

You guys are killing me! I replaced the bottom link with this one which has all four rca plugs...

Just wanted to say thanks (I hate it when someone starts a thread asking for info in their first post and never comes back to the thread) - I have a bunch of avenues to go down now and I'm going to make that 800 live again. Of course, all my floppies are probably dead since it's been 25 years, but I know about the SIO2PC thing, so I'm cool.

Thanks again, everyone!

Of course, all my floppies are probably dead since it's been 25 years, but I know about the SIO2PC thing, so I'm cool.

Thanks again, everyone!

Regarding your floppies, don't be surprised if they all DO work. Mine came out of storage in an attic in New Hampshire where they were subjected to extreme heat and cold. 100% of my hardware and software work. So, you may be in for a pleasant surprise.

Either way, SIO2PC is a great device. If you are going to get the cable, consider getting an Atarimax flashcart

For $44, you can put 40-50 games on a cartridge. I have two of these and that seems sufficient to hold my favorite games ;) When you want to play, power on the console, select a game from the menu, and play.

have fun...len!

Either way, SIO2PC is a great device. If you are going to get the cable, consider getting an Atarimax flashcart

For $44, you can put 40-50 games on a cartridge. I have two of these and that seems sufficient to hold my favorite games ;) When you want to play, power on the console, select a game from the menu, and play.

Ah, thanks for posting that. This'll let me not have a PC in the same room as the Atari. I have a Flash cart for my Vectrex and the thing is great, an enormous time saver.

Do you know off the top of your head if a game can save its own data to the Atarimax Flash cart? For instance, if I throw an Infocom game on it would be helpful if it can save my progress without having to use a floppy.

Ah, thanks for posting that. This'll let me not have a PC in the same room as the Atari. I have a Flash cart for my Vectrex and the thing is great, an enormous time saver.

Do you know off the top of your head if a game can save its own data to the Atarimax Flash cart? For instance, if I throw an Infocom game on it would be helpful if it can save my progress without having to use a floppy.

I think the answer is generally no. I asked that question because I would like to play Seven Cities of Gold off a cart. If you search the Atarimax flashcart forums for posts that include save plus game, you will see that some have been 'hacked' to work.

So, this may not work well for you. Or, it may just not be perfect -- as it is for me. Still, 99% of the time we are playing with the Atari, we are playing games off the cart.