IGNORED

God of War......meh.

Finally played the first God of War. I was expecting all kinds of incredibleness from all the hype and my brother saying it and it's sequel were the best games ever. I asked him if it was better then Rygar....because that's what it looked like from the screenshots and the gameplay seemed like it. I feel in love with Rygar when it first came out for the PS2.....it was amazing and carried the mystical feel of the NES version.

When I finally played God of War....it was okay. It doesn't have me foaming from the mouth for more. I got pretty far too. It didn't hold a candle to Rygar, though. It actually paled in comparison. No doubt, God of War was epic and had that feel to it but it just wasn't as fun as I was expecting.

I bought a PS2 the day it came out, but promptly sold it soon thereafter. Once the slim design came out, I purchased the system once again. I bought it to play San Andreas, but God of War just came out. Everyone said it was so good and awesome so I sincerely considered buying that instead of San Andreas as the game, but I am glad I didn't. I recently played the game for about 30 mins and it seemed like a sub standard button-masher with shallow gameplay. I have not played the game since.

I bought a PS2 the day it came out, but promptly sold it soon thereafter. Once the slim design came out, I purchased the system once again. I bought it to play San Andreas, but God of War just came out. Everyone said it was so good and awesome so I sincerely considered buying that instead of San Andreas as the game, but I am glad I didn't. I recently played the game for about 30 mins and it seemed like a sub standard button-masher with shallow gameplay. I have not played the game since.

The problem is you guys just played it for about 30 minutes. That's not really enough time to know what a game is all about. God of War is one of my favs right along Ninja Gaiden Black/Sigma, The Prince of Persias and Resident Evil series. GOD does have a lot of buttom mashing, but more complex and powerful combos come along latter in the game along with some decent puzzle and great storytelling and cutscenes.

Edited by dalton4life

The problem is you guys just played it for about 30 minutes. That's not really enough time to know what a game is all about. God of War is one of my favs right along Ninja Gaiden Black/Sigma, The Prince of Persias and Resident Evil series. GOD does have a lot of buttom mashing, but more complex and powerful combos come along latter in the game along with some decent puzzle and great storytelling and cutscenes.

Hades was Hell. In every sense of the word. I was unmoved by the game's depiction of a man who murders his own family...until I realized why it was so personal to it's creator.

I can't call it anything special...save that it takes risks Rockstar is afraid to, and there is more emotion in every frame than many games offer in their entirety.

And then there is the Temple of Pandora...

It's odd. I hated the game, until I read this thread, looking over the reasons others hated it, and then I realized why it made me care...

It doesn't always live up to it's potential...

But sometimes it surpasses it.

Give it a chance. Play it through. It's not the same game in the end, as you meet when you begin.

Edited by A Sprite

Any game that produces the amount of hype that games like God of War and the GTA series produce, I won't give any attention to: won't buy it, won't rent it, won't read about it, then just wind up ignoring it forever. So I have a preemptive "meh" to all over-hyped games.

Just a side note, I overheard this at a GameStop:

Customer - "Do you have any PC games?"

Employee - "We have the only PC game you'll ever need."

Customer - "What's that?"

Employee - "World of Warcraft."

Fortunately the customer just brushed him off. It made me very uncomfortable. So, meh... :roll:

autumn_drag0n

I enjoyed GOW at first, but the more I played the less I enjoyed it. It definately has that initial "oh wow" factor with the huge bosses, amazing graphics and a bit of the ultraviolence. However, exactly like you I then started comparing it to Rygar and came up short and I lost interest in it. I'm looking forward to replaying Rygar on the Wii actually, even if it is a port - I sold my PS2 copy w/ my PS2.

See... I was just the opposite. Generally I am very harsh on games that have a lot of hype. In fact... for GoW... I refused to buy it for a while. I didn't see anything too special about it.

Then I saw it one day for $15. I figured I'd pick it up and give it a try. I've been hooked since then. Great game. I really hope that they bring the same atmosphere over to the PSP.

GoW is actually one of my favorite games. I liked just about everything about it, which is unusual for me. I didn't get all emotional or whatever like some I guess, but the gameplay was great and anytime buckets of blood get strewn about I have fun. Have not yet had a chance to get the sequel but am looking forward to that as well.

Not GOW....but today I finally played and got addicted to a game that was worth all the hype.

Shadow of the Colossus

that game just leaves me speechless......amazing on every level.........

it brings a tear to your eye when you see one of them walking past you.......

Not GOW....but today I finally played and got addicted to a game that was worth all the hype.

Shadow of the Colossus

that game just leaves me speechless......amazing on every level.........

it brings a tear to your eye when you see one of them walking past you.......

I just purchased a new PS2 and both games. (I'm more of a PC gamer than a console fan)

GOW is a good game... it's much better than some of the games my brother has. However, it kinda emphasizes button smashing. Ok, want to kill a minotaur? Beat the button senseless and you win. What? No 4 button combo that drives me insane to learn? That's good and bad. Easy to learn but I'm not sure there's much to mastering the game. Some of the puzzles have seemed to draw a "oh please" response. One of the best of 2005... sure... but I think calling it Game of the Year is a stretch.

Shadow of the Colossus... I started playing it at 8 something pm. After battling the 3rd colossus for who know how long I realized it was midnight and I had to work early in the morning. (ok, so I had a little trouble getting onto the 2nd one)

The graphics are stunning, the game play is unique and first rate.

The first colossus was quite the experience. I whistled, he looked down and I said "oh crap... what was I thinking". I had no idea of what to expect. LOL

One of the best titles I've played on any system.

I found it to be one of the few ultra-hyped games of the last generation that i actually enjoyed... the puzzles weren't too difficult for me (sometimes my intellect borderlines on mental retardation), and pandoras temple was one of my favorite parts of the game. i think i tended to stay with my modded xbox, classic systems, and ps1 games on my ps2 rather than play a ot of the games thatcame out. i havent tried the sequel yet... hopefully it wont take me a week to finish like the first game did

• 2 weeks later...

Well....i forced myself to play through the game and beat it and it was still not very entertaining. I did enjoy the storytelling and nice cutscenes but the gameplay was tedious and felt more like a task then actual fun. Parts that were particularly annoying were the spiked rotating pillars in Hades, the Ares boss battle, and some parts of Poseidons challenge. I came out of the game with the same feeling I had going into it.....I love Greek mythology and the storyline was entertaining but the gameplay was a bore when comparing it to a work of art such as Rygar.

I still want to play God of War 2 because my brother says it is ten times better than the first....so I'll try it. There were some unanswered questions left in the first and I heard the second is longer and more thought out and tons of new things added.

I still believe Rygar is a better game over the two....but thats just my opinion and I know other people would prefer GoW.

And what are these so-called "risks" that the game takes that other companies are afraid to do? I saw nothing shocking or surprising.

On a side note, since I mentioned Shadow of the Colossus earlier, I got to the 16th colossus but can't figure out what to do and I don't want to look on some FAQ and ruin it. Plus, I played the game so much that I burned out on it and had to switch to playing something else like SW: Battlefront 2.

I'll agree that Ninja Gaiden is one of the best action games ever, but God of War is not quite as good.

I played through it. It's fun, but I was not amazed by any means. I played it just after Ninja Gaiden and felt it was less challenging, on the whole. Not a bad game, certainly. Just not quite as good as all the hype. Then again, I loved Tenchu Z, so I guess we all have aour opinions, eh?

You know, some of those "over hyped" games are actually really good games. God of War is really pretty awesome if you give it a chance. If you pass on them out right, well it's your loss...

That said I did not care for San Andreas and I completed over 1/2 of it :ponder:

Cheers,

Ben

P.S. PressureCooker2600 - glad you gave it a fair shot!

Edited by legeek

Any game that produces the amount of hype that games like God of War and the GTA series produce, I won't give any attention to: won't buy it, won't rent it, won't read about it, then just wind up ignoring it forever. So I have a preemptive "meh" to all over-hyped games.

Wow, what a self-defeating strategy.

For my money, most things that are over-hyped are actually quite good. I might not like it myself (ala Tony Hawk) but usually I can see what's good about it.

God of War and Shadow of Colussus, I couldn't really get into either. I think it was jumping type puzzles in the former and in the latter, I thought the graphics made it unnecessarily irritating to di the "search for a handhold game". In both cases I wish I liked the gameplay itself more, because what I've heard of the stories sounds great.