IGNORED

Metroid Prime 3 Official Thread

Room 34

I'm currently playing it, but I'm only 10% into it yet, so I can't comment much. I neither can compare to the others, since it's the first Prime I'm playing.

It's been fun so far though, albeit at times it requires much "searching" to figure out where/how it continues and what to do next. (Maybe it's easier for those familiar with the series.) I've also seen several spots that aren't "open" yet, and I'm usually no fan of backtracking.

I'm about 50% through and in a similar spot. Not sure what to do or where to go, not real interested in going back to previously-explored places to see if I can open up any new areas...haven't played it in a couple of weeks. I'll get back into to it, but I was hitting a bit of a low-interest wall.

That said, all the way back to the first Metroid, backtracking and tedious exploration have always been hallmarks of the series. :lol:

Ok, I just got the game.

Went through the first "level" or the ship invasion. Pretty cool just like I remember the first two primes.

I like the Wii controls a thousand times better.

The negative is I'm no fan of backtracking either and I hate getting lost in mazes but its still very fun.

Strangely it seems I wouldnt mind backtracking if it was 2D. :P

Its almost a love\hate thing and is almost borderline frustrating.

I'm getting through the first "world" now and just picked up the Grappling Hook...........

:P

The backtracking isn't nearly as much of an issue w/ Corruption as it is with the first two Prime games because eventually you'll be able to land your ship in different areas. The reason I like Corruption so much is that they kept everything I loved about the Prime series (brilliant level design, clever puzzles, fantastic art and audio direction) and fixed everything I hated (frustration factor, tedious backtracking, wonky controls).

There was one spot in Corruption that really stumped me near the end - it took several hours for me to find this thing, but I did find it. And later on I found something I could have done that would have made the whole process a lot easier.

I can forgive backtracking, if it's either driven by the story, or a least some shortcuts open, which mostly seems to be the case in MP3 so far.

The problem rather is, when I have to remember more than 5 of those spots I start to forget some and I don't like this feeling that I'm "missing" something.

Of course, ususally it's just yet another 5-missile-upgrade, but it's still kinda bugging me... ;)

I can forgive backtracking, if it's either driven by the story, or a least some shortcuts open, which mostly seems to be the case in MP3 so far.

The problem rather is, when I have to remember more than 5 of those spots I start to forget some and I don't like this feeling that I'm "missing" something.

Of course, ususally it's just yet another 5-missile-upgrade, but it's still kinda bugging me... ;)

Ha!

The "missing something" feeling!

I know it all too well.

Thats great news that they fixed everything and the backtracking is toned down.

The sad thing is that I might never go back and finish the first two.

In that case I will try finishing it this one.

Just upgraded my ship. Now I need to finish this planet I guess....

Thanks for the non spoiler info.

I seldom play Ego Shooters so maybe it's just my fault, but from my experience most boss battles in MP3 are much harder than the ones from Zelda/SMG. I ususally need 2-3 tries just to figure out what I'm supposed to do, and then another 1-2 tries until I succeed in execution, so overall I think I spend more time with boss battles than with the whole rest of the game :twisted:

One thing in the game I don't like at all is the very poorly implemented map, I rarely manage to make it show what I actually want to see.

I seldom play Ego Shooters so maybe it's just my fault, but from my experience most boss battles in MP3 are much harder than the ones from Zelda/SMG. I ususally need 2-3 tries just to figure out what I'm supposed to do, and then another 1-2 tries until I succeed in execution, so overall I think I spend more time with boss battles than with the whole rest of the game :twisted:

One thing in the game I don't like at all is the very poorly implemented map, I rarely manage to make it show what I actually want to see.

I haven't found the boss battles overly difficult, but I have found them VERY tedious and overlong: shoot at tiny weak spot for 3 minutes until it is "overloaded" and the real weak spot is exposed, then shoot the real weak spot one or two times to actually damage boss. Rinse, repeat for 30 minutes. I have not been impressed at all with the boss fights. :| :thumbsdown: Actually, their only saving grace, for me, is that they haven't been especially hard and so I haven't had to repeat too many of them (so far). Makes me appreciate Halo's almost complete lack of boss fights even more.

And yeah, the map kinda blows; I remember thinking the same thing about the Metroid Prime (1) map when I briefly played that a year or two ago. Hasn't bothered me too much, though, since I can't figure out how I'd improve it! :lol: A 3D map, projected onto a 2D surface, seems like it would be confusing and hard to use no matter what. Are there other games that have done it better?

I can see why they did a 3d map but there 's lots of ways they could have done it better.

It reminds me of the maps used in the old PC game Descent.

The boss battles are annoying I agree.

I just beat the first "giant" boss on the planet Bryyo (i think thats the name) and it took me almost an hour.

(I had to constantly scan him to figure out what to do)

That's what I hated about MP1 - the boss battles were way too long, hard and complicated. I fought Meta Ridely 20 times - literally - before one time I just randomly beat her. Don't know what I did differently, but it seemed to work. That's just frustrating. I fit weren't for GameFaqs I never would have finished. Corruption seemed much, much better to me. Challenging without being frustrating - I had to repeat some a couple of times, but with each successive attempt I got better. That's the way it should be. Not play the same thing over and over with no clue what to do. And the final boss in Corruption I beat with just a sliver of health left - it was a pulse-pounding moment. Anyways, just my 2c.

And when I explored the abandoned ship it was genuinely creepy. It's a fun game; I'll definitely get back to it.

Is it normal that you can't complete it on the first go? I put my last energy cell into a spot that requires two to continue :ponder:

Well, back to the sky world, assembling that bomb... :)

I remember thinking the same thing about the Metroid Prime (1) map when I briefly played that a year or two ago. Hasn't bothered me too much, though, since I can't figure out how I'd improve it! :lol:

It'd help a lot already if it were possible to scroll it L/R/U/D with the D-Pad, instead of just being able to rotate and zoom.

And when I explored the abandoned ship it was genuinely creepy. It's a fun game; I'll definitely get back to it.

Is it normal that you can't complete it on the first go? I put my last energy cell into a spot that requires two to continue :ponder:

Well, back to the sky world, assembling that bomb... :)

I remember thinking the same thing about the Metroid Prime (1) map when I briefly played that a year or two ago. Hasn't bothered me too much, though, since I can't figure out how I'd improve it! :lol:

It'd help a lot already if it were possible to scroll it L/R/U/D with the D-Pad, instead of just being able to rotate and zoom.

You can scroll it, sort of. Hold down Z (or?) and scroll with the stick.

And it is normal , I think - I also put my last energy cell in that spot and came back later when I had more.

You can scroll it, sort of. Hold down Z (or?) and scroll with the stick.

Thanks, that did the trick! ;)

I'm about 50% through and in a similar spot. Not sure what to do or where to go, not real interested in going back to previously-explored places to see if I can open up any new areas...haven't played it in a couple of weeks. I'll get back into to it, but I was hitting a bit of a low-interest wall.

I'm wondering if I'll hit the same problem sometime soon. At 43% I just arrived at the pirate homebase :)

I just finished it after about 20 hours and at 73%.

The last boss is insane. Took me a few hours to do. (Hours!)

I was pissed that I needed to backtrack a bit to find the energy cells for the Valhalla ship.

I dont know if I'll ever come back to the Metroid Prime series. It was overall very well done and fun but its just frustrating beyond belief. Since the 1st two Prime's have more backdracking I will definitely not play those through.

You can tell they try very much to help you and remind you what you need to do and where you need to go.

Great game but just too frustrating IMO.

• 3 years later...

Late to the party, BUT

Having a blast with MP3. The logical conclusion to the series, there is enough thematic content from the other two Primes to make you feel right at home. The Wii controls are a bit frustrating, but not a deal breaker. The game looks and sounds amazing (graphic whores who knock the Wii, how much better does a video game need to look?). I like the optional Valhalla level and I like being able to jump from planet to planet.

Great boss fights, great puzzles. The magnet tracks over SkyTown are amazing and a great way to show off the spider ball right after you get it. The rest of getting around Sky Town is a pain in the ass and I hate when I have to go back there, especially after the Spire is gone.

I do get lost sometimes and forget where I am meant to be going or how to get there, but the game reminds you if you dally too long.

I am near the end of the Pirate homeworld and having a lot of fun.

The sad thing is that MP3 makes Other M look like a HUGE regression for the series, the genre, and the Wii.

I really need to get back into this game and finish it. I got pretty far in. I remember being in the pirate world but don't remember if I made it past that. Man, if I have to backtrack I'm gonna be screwed! Should probably just restart my game from the top. :skull:

I wanted to like Other M. I gave it a shot and I liked some things about it (I liked the 3rd-person perspective with 1st-person looking around. That was cool and I wish more 3rd-person games had it) but overall it just couldn't hold my interest. While the Prime series was developed by a third-party studio, it just didn't feel like it. It felt like Nintendo's hand was in it through to the end. Other M, on the other hand, felt like a fan-made game. It just felt too detached. The overly-dramatic narrative was unnecessary and poorly executed, to be nice. Not only that, the first-person pixel-hunting brought the pacing to a grinding halt. I'm not sure whose bright idea that was. I'm also not a fan of button-mashing events. In Other M, there's this maneuver you can do where you jump on something's head and plant a round in it's skull that requires some button sequence. As cool as it is the first time you see it, it really takes away that feeling of control you should have in a video game. It's part of what turned me off of the God of War game. Windwaker had a touch of that but it only required one button press so it didn't kill the game for me. Other M. I think I know what that means now: that Other Metroid.

I made it to the final level last night and it is kicking my butt. I didn't even see a boss fight before I overloaded and died (and what a horrible way to go). Giving it another run today. I wish you didn't have to re-scan everything thing though...ugh...

Yup. I mentioned that in my own post. Brings back memories. I think I remember failing a few times on the second part of the final battle and having to do it all over again from scratch. I just remember cursing at the TV screen a lot. heheh.

For me the whole game was frustratingly fantastic if that makes sense. LOL

Beat it the other night. The final boss fight(s) is laughable compared to some of the previous battles. Even Omega Ridley was easy, just tedious.

Great game, though and a great cap to the series.

I am extremely disappointed by how much of the bonus material is out of reach because it requires those green tokens that you can only get via online nonsense. I have no interest in any of that at all, ever. Furthermore, what happens to someone who gets and plays this game 10 years from now when all online support for the Wii is long gone. Stupid.

But the game is fun, so that will have to be enough, as it was once, long ago....