IGNORED

WTB: Gorf Classic CD Atari Jaguar

Mika73

Any Gorf news? :)

The answer was no. There will be no more Gorf CD's/Carts for the Jaguar. I'll let someone else go into the details.

How long before we start seeing pirated copies of this showing up?

Very soon hopefully. I'll be in line for one without a doubt.

The answer was no. There will be no more Gorf CD's/Carts for the Jaguar. I'll let someone else go into the details.

If you want to talk about pirating homebrew games, please go do it outside of AtariAge.

Thanks,

..Al

Is it me, or is this just getting ridiculous? We have a homebrew cart that is a port of someone else's copyrighted work, without any approval to sell it from the official channel.

Yet it would seem to be absolute blasphemy to make copies of it on CD to distribute it for free. There seem to be a bit of "No you can't have a port of an old arcade game on Jaguar. Not Yours" going on as well.

I take it open sourcing it or releasing it via GPL would be blasphemy, cutting into profits?

Seems like this game was never meant to be played by the masses from the beginning.

Is it me, or is this just getting ridiculous? We have a homebrew cart that is a port of someone else's copyrighted work, without any approval to sell it from the official channel.

Yet it would seem to be absolute blasphemy to make copies of it on CD to distribute it for free. There seem to be a bit of "No you can't have a port of an old arcade game on Jaguar. Not Yours" going on as well.

I take it open sourcing it or releasing it via GPL would be blasphemy, cutting into profits?

Seems like this game was never meant to be played by the masses from the beginning.

it was meant to be played by the masses,but unfortunately it didnt work out that way........distribution of unauthorized work is not allowed.....

If you want to talk about pirating homebrew games, please go do it outside of AtariAge.

Thanks,

..Al

Appreciated, thank you.

Here is a little bit more accurate history for you.

Jamie Fenton, who at the time was my official channel. The standard Midway

contract was for 20 years and the rights reverted to the coder. Jamie did give

me a quit claim which allows me the right to use her game without any legal

repercusions. I figured I was fine.

It was pointed out otherwise and I immediately removed the product from sale.

I then sought after Midway and Dave Nutting to find out if they would be fine with it.

I then decided if I do it for charity I'd have a better chance of convincing these guys.

This was right after a dear friend of mine died from a lung transplant a year and a

half later. He needed the transplant because he had Cystic Fibrosis and uncurable

decease. The rejection took him in Febuary of this year.

I explained this to a very great guy at Midway, told him about the fact we had released

it thinking we were ok and he and Midway were very understanding and realized we

were'nt trying to screw anyone. Midway was great and was willing to help me all the

way but they also wanted to be sure I could protect the IP and keep it from getting

copied.

Im not taking that chance in this community....sorry. If I find a way and can

still get Midway's blessing you can bet it will happen again.....I dont have such a

solution for CD's....yet. Only Jamie gets a cart though and that is the decision

the 3 of us in 3DSSS made along time ago.

Gorf was intended to be sold as long as there was demand for it so please stop

postin highly inaccurate information. I'd appreaciate it.

To add to that for history and possible interests sake....

Midway would have been able to help me with the Namco and Taito

parts of the licensing because they were pretty sure they had such right

perpetually for home versions on the Gorf title.

The only last hurdle would have been finding where Dave Nutting was.

I still cant find him but I do have a mailing address.

The other last detail is I still do not know exactly how the rights spilt up

between these three if at all. Obviously Midway is not going to tell me

such things if they did not have to.

Just thought I'd let you know that not EVERYTHING was perfectly in place

but a letter to Dave could have been all I needed. I may just write that

letter anyhow and see how he feels, if indeed he is still reachable there,

just in case.

I will be watching the both of you as well as others....dont be stupid.

I will be watching the both of you as well as others....dont be stupid.

I do not sell nor do I distribute pirated software. The only point that I was trying to make is often when an item is no longer available it will become available through an underground market. There are plenty of pirated Atari Jaguar CD software out there already. I was not encouraging this it is just a fact.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I don't even own a Jaguar CD system, but I still find myself monitoring this thread daily. I hope this can be released again someday!

a few copies were recently ebayed....

I can't possibly justify spending eBay prices on Gorf, considering that the latest copy sold for $455. I guess my only hope is for an official re-release at some point.

$455? Wow!! :D It is a good game.

Jamie Fenton, who at the time was my official channel. The standard Midway

contract was for 20 years and the rights reverted to the coder. Jamie did give

me a quit claim which allows me the right to use her game without any legal

repercusions. I figured I was fine.

Honestly if I were in your shoes I would have thought the same thing. I have dealt with Atari 8-bit game writers and have tried to work out permissions. I think you did good to contact like you did. It can just be soo complex with some companies. You know, you probably could have called it "DAOT", changed the characters slightly, left everything else the same, and gave a nod to the programmer of "GORF" in the credits and no one probably would have cared.

(Instead of "Laser Attack" it becomes "Death Beam Attack".) :D (Or my favorite from the 30's Flash Gordon series "Destructo Beam Attack")

It's that "GORF" name. You're fighting for a four letter word. :) But have to admit, seeing "GORF" for the Jaguar is just cool.

(My current goal, to get a straight answer on who owns Bubsy Bobcat... man THAT has been fun...)

The other part of the problem is that they(Midway) wanted the source code and I was not about to

give that up. You should all just forget Jaguar Gorf unless Midway releases it. Even if they called me

today I would stil not release it. Im tired of charging $35 dollars for something I could have charge

a lot more, only to see a bunch of slimeballs profit off of it. The Jaguar is about to lose a developer

for good....3DSSS. We all three are quite tired of the BS.

Edited by Gorf

I can't possibly justify spending eBay prices on Gorf, considering that the latest copy sold for $455.

$455!

HOLY CRAP BATMAN! :-o

Overall this kind of stuff is really disheartening for devs :( Doubly so in this case where Gorf specifically asked people not to resell for more than they paid. Yeah yeah I know it's a capitalistic society, owners rights, secondary markets, blah, blah. But it's sad when even in such a small community people can't respect the wishes of the devs.

Edited by remowilliams

The other part of the problem is that they(Midway) wanted the source code and I was not about to

give that up. You should all just forget Jaguar Gorf unless Midway releases it. Even if they called me

today I would stil not release it. Im tired of charging $35 dollars for something I could have charge

a lot more, only to see a bunch of slimeballs profit off of it. The Jaguar is about to lose a developer

1. What was the issue with giving up the source code?

2. " Im tired of charging $35 dollars for something I could have charge

a lot more, only to see a bunch of slimeballs profit off of it."

Isn't that a bit self-contradictory? What would you have optimally charged for a port of a not-too-famous arcade game on an unsuccessful, old console? If you were passionate about making games for the jaguar, you should have gone the route of an original game, not a game idea & name that is already been done & copyrighted. Of course, I doubt Midway has the Atari Jaguar high on its priority list to sell games for, considering its 2008.

For everyone needing their GORF fix, there's always MAME + the ROM itself. Price: free.

I also had a small part in the bidding for this game, I could not go higher than $160

If I had the money I would bid more, but I'm just a factory worker who loves his Jaguar and has only his dreams to get his games collection complete. ;)

! was bidding with you! I stop around the same price! Good War!

1. What was the issue with giving up the source code?

2. " Im tired of charging $35 dollars for something I could have charge

a lot more, only to see a bunch of slimeballs profit off of it."

Isn't that a bit self-contradictory? What would you have optimally charged for a port of a not-too-famous arcade game on an unsuccessful, old console? If you were passionate about making games for the jaguar, you should have gone the route of an original game, not a game idea & name that is already been done & copyrighted. Of course, I doubt Midway has the Atari Jaguar high on its priority list to sell games for, considering its 2008.

For everyone needing their GORF fix, there's always MAME + the ROM itself. Price: free.

I couldn't agree with you more, this kind of BS makes me lose interest in the game completly, what was once a cool little Jag project that I would have liked to try out someday is now a game I will go out of my way to avoid. It's just a joke to me that this is being taken so seriously, it's a port of GORF for Christ's sake, it's not like some totally new innovative creation here, give me a break.