IGNORED

Problem using ADAM standalone computer with Atari 2600 adapter

HDTV1080P

I ran into a problem when using the ADAM computer and the Atari 2600 Expansion module #1 the other day. I am surprised that I did not discover this problem back in the 80's.

When using the ADAM standalone with the Expansion module #1 the video and sound works fine as long as one is using the RF CH3 or CH4 output. Now when using the ADAM standalone with expansion module #1 with the composite video and audio connection the ADAM standalone only displays video for the Atari 2600 cartridges. I get no sound or very low sound even when turning the volume on max. I used 3 different expansion module #1's and 2 different Adam standalone computers and every time I only was able to get video with no sound.

So the Atari 2600 adapter is only compatible with the ADAM standalone computer as long as the RF CH3 or CH4 connection is used. It is a shame that Coleco did not discover this problem with the ADAM standalone and fix the issue. I wonder if there is a chip that can be changed in the ADAM to make it compatible with the ATARI 2600 adapter.

There's a similar problem with the ColecoVision game console if its been modded for composite output. Normally the mod called for picking up the sound directly off of the CV sound chip. Well since the 26000 expansion module has its own sound chip there was no sound. You have to pick the sound up from inside the RF modulator in order for sound to work with the expansion module. The easiest thing to do would be install another RCA jack that picks up the sound from inside the RF modulator. This jack will provide sound when using Adam/CV games and when using the 2600 expansion module.

Here's a link to a thread that discussed this.

There's a similar problem with the ColecoVision game console if its been modded for composite output. Normally the mod called for picking up the sound directly off of the CV sound chip. Well since the 26000 expansion module has its own sound chip there was no sound. You have to pick the sound up from inside the RF modulator in order for sound to work with the expansion module. The easiest thing to do would be install another RCA jack that picks up the sound from inside the RF modulator. This jack will provide sound when using Adam/CV games and when using the 2600 expansion module.

Here's a link to a thread that discussed this.

Thanks for the information. Perhaps in the future when I have time I will take my ADAM apart and move the wire to a location on the circuit board that does not get the sound directly off the CV sound chip. Using the same location where the RF modulator gets its sound makes perfect sense.