IGNORED

My Lynx Flash Card / What do you think?

Lynxman

I have a lynx, and if a flashcart shows up, I am pretty certain that it will give the scene a boost.

Also, being a handheld with limited capabilities, it means that it is fairly easy to get going with developing software for it, it is actually possible for a single guy to make something in a reasonable amount of time, and with a simple distribution method, I think we will see a lot more productions for it.

All in all, a flashcart will benefit the community more than it will hurt it.

I agree - it sounds encouraging to hear from other coders that the proposed flashcart will encourage development of new games.

I guess the only thing I'd add concerning any potential negatives of a flashcart would be that it would be interesting to hear from any coders out there who do have any concerns as the only opinions expressed so far have been positive. I don't say this to troll - honestly! I simply think that in the interests of having a balanced debate on this issue it would be interesting to hear any contrary opinions. Then people can make their own mind up whether to purchase the flashcart or not.

I guess my current view, which has changed greatly over the past couple of days, is that I'd definitely be interested in buying one to play legally distributed homebrew.

If I own the original game cartridge, e.g. California Games, would it then be legal to download the ROM in order to save it on the flashcart? I only ask because it would save having to carry around all my Lynx game carts (nearly 50) when on the move. I remember having read somewhere that it supposedly OK to own a "back-up" as long as you own the original game. Could someone please clarrify this?

If I own the original game cartridge, e.g. California Games, would it then be legal to download the ROM in order to save it on the flashcart? I only ask because it would save having to carry around all my Lynx game carts (nearly 50) when on the move. I remember having read somewhere that it supposedly OK to own a "back-up" as long as you own the original game. Could someone please clarrify this?

Every nation has its own laws. From an ethical point of view I see nothing wrong in playing a game you have paid for. In my opinion you are also allowed to do it according to the laws in Finland.

The gray area is copying stuff where you need to crack the encryption. Handy is a good example. It you download the 512 byte ROM from the Lynx and run it on a PC then you are breaking the laws in the EU. Running the same game from a flash cart does not need to copy the encryption and is therefore legal in the EU.

But I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV ;) So don't rely on my legal advice.

--

Karri

Every nation has its own laws. From an ethical point of view I see nothing wrong in playing a game you have paid for. In my opinion you are also allowed to do it according to the laws in Finland.

The gray area is copying stuff where you need to crack the encryption. Handy is a good example. It you download the 512 byte ROM from the Lynx and run it on a PC then you are breaking the laws in the EU. Running the same game from a flash cart does not need to copy the encryption and is therefore legal in the EU.

But I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV ;) So don't rely on my legal advice.

--

Karri

Many thanks for the info.

As I live within the EU I'll try to find out a few more specifics but your advice seems quite logical in relation to what I've heard elsewhere.

It would most certainly seem very unfair indeed if downloading a game to flashcart that you already own the original cartridge for was not legally permitted.

As you say, its not as if a flashcart would need to emulate the Lynx hardware in any way.

Cheers. :)

• 2 weeks later...

As an avid Lynx collector myself (I have 103 different Lynx carts) I think this Flash Cart will be a nice addition to the community. I would buy one, primarily to play the many demos and games that have not made it to real carts. And once they made it to real carts, I would buy one of those. (My goal is to own every Lynx cart... and I'm close but still have a few items to buy.)

I've never gotten around to downloading Handy, since I own pretty much everything and would rather plug the Lynx in than play it here, in front of this computer.

I look forward to its release!

Cheers,

Smeg

• 3 weeks later...

I am really up to buy a Lynx 1 right now and since I'll be learning how to program (at school) in some time, I may use the knowledge to help me get into a different programming language to do what I always wanted to do: homebrew games.

Lynxman, this is really novel and keep up with the good work, this is certainly encouraging. And using a multicart to play downloaded roms is okay, it's not like it's NDS or PSP piracy, these games have been out for a long time, plus some are rare and expensive.

I wonder if it's possible to do a GBA like flash cart for music playing and Atari 2600 emulation. I would love to have a comically huge music player :P .

Edited by Atari_kid

So, all those people in this thread who've so far rejoiced in the knowledge they'll be potentially able to illegally own/steal all Lynx games made to date will have their short-term jollies. It would be too much to hope that such self-centred individuals would actually stop to consider the consequences of their actions, i.e. they'll actually kill off the Lynx for good leaving it as a truly dead system with no realistic prospect of any new games ever appearing on it ever again.

Rejoice in your theft.....

I did it kilt Atari... d/l'd all the LYnx ROMz! LOLz! Handy rulez! pwned... :ahoy:

• 2 weeks later...
not sure if a list is actually being tallied of potential buyers, but put me down for one as well.

Hello,

i need some more weeks, because of new job and i have to do some Businesstrips the next weeks.

Preorder will be startet in a new thread on AtariAge and 2 German Forums.

Kind Regards

not sure if a list is actually being tallied of potential buyers, but put me down for one as well.

Hello,

i need some more weeks, because of new job and i have to do some Businesstrips the next weeks.

Kind Regards

Just point me to the thread and I'll be there.

Hello,

Kind Regards

great, please make a post in THIS thread when you do it because I am subscribed to this one. thanks!!

@ lynxman: which 2 german forums do you mean?

AtariHome

Planet Atari

I believe Planet Atari's is here...

http://www.nexgam.de/forum/thread.php?thre...lynx+flash+card

Dunno if you covered this already, but I'd love to be notified on a waiting list when this is ready for sale. Since dev. and production takes a long time, I'd rather just be told it's ready than follow it and keep asking.

the.golden.ax

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

i am working hard on the FlashCart. :)

the last 2 weeks i changed the "menu"-system, i will do some improvments on the bootloader.

I send a Alpha-HW FlashCart and Alpha-SW to Matashen. He is now coding a game for the Lynx and it seams that my FlashCart is helping him. :cool:

Next 3 or 4 weeks i will ship out the Beta-HW with Beta-SW to the Betatesters. (3 "Beta" within less then 10 words :) )

After shipping the Betas i will start with a Preorder list.

Kind Regards

Lynxman