IGNORED

Retro Gamer Issue 42

I know there's a few people who read the mag here, so I thoughbt I'd give you an insight into the latest issue.

There is also a very BIG Atari feature on the way. Hopefully for two issues time...

RG_042.jpg

Retroinspection - BBC Micro

An In-Depth Look at Acorn's entry into the overcrowded 8-bit market

The Definitive - Space Invaders Part II

Will the evil alien invaders take over planet earth? Not if Stuart Campbell has anything to do with it.

Developer Lookback - SSI Part 1

In the first of a two-part series, we look back at the colourful history of Strategic Simulations Inc

The Making of Tetris

Creator, Alexey Pajitnov talks to us about pentominos, tetrominoes and coding on ancient computers

Complete Guide - Shoot-em-ups

Darran Jones takes to the skies and looks back at the convoluted history of the shoot-em-up - once one of gaming's most popular genres

The Making of Crazy Taxi

Hey, hey, hey! It's time to make some crazy money. Retro Gamer jumps into a cab, turns off the meter and interviews the mind behind Sega's brilliant Crazy Taxi

Company Profile - Big Red Software

friends of Dizzy and fans of Seymour rejoice as you discover the history of Big Red Software

Arcade Inspection - CPS-2

We take a detailed look at one of Capcom's most successful arcade boards - the mighty CPS-2

The Making of Sheep in Space

Find out what happens when a four-legged hairy quadropod gets flung into outer space.

and much much more including CGE, California Games, Micro Machines, Starbike, Skweek, Cybernator, Silhouette Mirage, Raid over Moscow[/img]

Hey Darran, keep posts like this coming! I love the mag but I only pick & choose when the articles are more interesting to me. I'll likely grab the upcoming Atari one...

though this issue the shootemup feature looks good to me.

What's in issue #41? As USA gets them a month later.

Edited by RJ

I picked up issue #41 yesterday....no sign of #42 yet

BTW you can get a DVD that contains the 30 first issues for 20 pounds (UK)...I'll have to check to see how much it would be to ship to North America.

Heres the link to the DVD:

http://www.imagineshop.co.uk/item_show.php...mp;action=emags

rg_emag_02_KOPY2TK0F.jpg

Edited by Technosis

• 3 weeks later...
Just found this issue at B&N today. Great issue, love the CPS-2 article.

So is #42 available at Barnes & Noble now? I think my girlfriend's in the CGE section.

y-bot

Got it today and we're both in it. Thanks for putting us in your article Mat!

y-bot

I would request a better subscription option in the US. When the first published went belly up the subscription company started sending me Games rather than offering me a refund. Then several issues after publishing resumed I got three more copies in the mail, two months after the mailed issues hit the newsstands, along with a bill substantially higher than buying single copies at the local Borders. Can't say I'll take them up on that offer, I'll take my chances with the bookstores instead.

Eric

Hi Darren,

I've been a subscriber since Issue 3. I moved from the UK to Canada a few years ago and have continued to subscribe (despite having to pay the high shipping :( ) as I always find a lot of articles in every magazine that capture my interest and a few that really grab me by the b@lls.

I know the magazine has to tread a fine line on what is classified as retro and also has to mainly cater for the majority. Being more of the old school early 80's ilk myself, I cut my teeth on the Atari 2600, Intellivision, ColecoVision and then the Commodore 64. Of these truely classic machines, I would dearly like to see in you cover in depth articles on the Intellivision and ColecoVision. BTW, the recent Vectrex article was excellent.

Edited by Ikrananka

If you are taking requests - please rollback the magazine to the format you were using in the earlier issues.

I'm in the US and buy this from a bookstore that carries it and I've become conditioned to buying it every month, but I no longer read it.

Frankly, it just isn't good anymore. I think the horrible Frogger article was the last straw for me.

I just got issue 42, good issue, but Star Raiders for A8 was missing from the Complete guide to shoot em up guide. That game was actually a killer app, people just bought Atari 800s and Star Raiders cartridge to play that game. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Raiders

Of course part one the SSI article is excellent.

Edited by thomasholzer

I happened to pick up issue 43 in the Gatwick airport last week after not seeing it here in the US anymore. Was a great issue on DK and a nice console/computer buyers guide in the back. But at $164 for an annual subscription...

I'd rather see the magazine on less expensive paper for a more reasonable price.

Edited by Zonie

Part of the problem is the cost of shipping... it doubles the price of the issue to the US if done privately via the Post Office. You'd need an account or mass bulk discount to make it worthwhile. Can't speak for Imagine but I figure it must still cost them a bit...