IGNORED

HELP! Information on Red Sea Crossing?

nagn2

• 2 weeks later...

Try looking up that Steve fellow either in your area or beyond. Going back to where you bought is an excellent idea but don't lead on it's potential value at all...lotta wackos out there. You might even want to take a friend.....a few friends maybe!

I would keep it unless you really want to sell it.

I am in Ohio. If this is a home made cartridge, does it have any value?

I am no collector, but if you can prove this thing is real, I bet some will pay really hefty money for it.

You should go back where you found it and try to get some background information about the cart(s).

Has anyone considered that this game could be a demoscene hoax or something? i.e. a real VCS game programmed recently with the intent to fool people into thinking it's old (and thus bringing internet glory to the demo group that made it? :) )

Well I think it's a plausible conspiracy theory at least!... :)

-Ben

Edited by Ben_Larson

Has anyone considered that this game could be a demoscene hoax or something? i.e. a real VCS game programmed recently with the intent to fool people into thinking it's old (and thus bringing internet glory to the demo group that made it? :) )

Well I think it's a plausible conspiracy theory at least!... :)

-Ben

That has been brought up many times in this thread.

~Omega

That has been brought up many times in this thread.

~Omega

I didn't read every message but it seemed like everyone was hung up on the idea that someone would need a financial reason to make a real VCS game and then claim it was old. My thinking was just that there's no financial reason needed - some talented programmer(s) could have just done it for 'internet glory' or laughs. I didn't think that aspect of not needing a financial reason had really been touched on yet...but I'm probably wrong. :D

Ben

Also note that it would be quite entertaining for someone EVIL to pull the AA community's lauriats in a protracted fake out. I became bored after reading 3 pages. What happened between pages 4 and 20? I'm guessing, nothing.

Has there been a dump?

Has anyone else spoke to the programmer on the phone? Or the purported owner?

Has anyone else even seen the game in action?

No to all 3.

If someone wanted to contact the programmer again, I'd recommend that it be someone who has contacted other programmers before, (such as Tempest). It might be about time to try again, but only if it was someone that knew the right questions to ask, and didn't scare him off, which I fear is what happened last time.

-John

• 6 months later...

I finally read this entire topic beginning to end.

If this is still available, Why doesnt someone find out HOW MUCH he wants for it and if it is doable,

then everyone that is interested in the game tosses in an equal share with the chance that in the end, after it is dumped by the new owners (us), we can have a raffle or some kinda way to fairly get this to one person (since clearly one owner in the end must own it) OR we resell it to one owner and get our money back or as much of it as we can or a profit even with the funds divided up evenly. Why cant this be done? I'd toss in an equal share divided by the number of people involved to get this game dumped before bit rot sets in and its gone forever, whatever that price may be. There must be a fair way to raffle off the sucker after the dump and we could hold the contest winner for the original cart at a Gaming Expo or similar. If you cant make it, I am sure many can with the same expectations of possibly winning so no shananigans could be pulled with whom gets the original but it maybe best we sell it in the end and get back whatever we can that we put out to obtain it. Lets face it, it would be a longshot to win the cart, but its worth paying the money to preserve the game, even if its gameplay sucks. Maybe I am too late on this matter or maybe ya'all think its dumb but I bet if we got a solid final amount that this guy wanted for it, that many, possibly hundreds of AA'ers would chip in and take the chance of winning this game in the end or making their share back in a sale after preserving it and having the oppty to play it in emulation at the least. Thats my 2 cents.

Like I said, maybe it is not even a possibilty at this point but from what I can tell, he still has the game and he would sell it for his price and if we chipped in and got together on this, it would be worth the money if it indeed is legit. We send someone with cash and that knows how to tell a fake from legit, if that costs money to do like travel expense for a one day trip whether round trip plane or a rental car if close enough, we add that into our total that we must chip in. If an expert lives close to the seller of RSC, then I am sure it would be easier and cheaper to get an expert from AA to authenticate this, pay the man, then dump the thing immediately. If ya'all know something I dont about this and it is definitely no longer available, then forgive me for bumping an old thread but I just took a few hours and read start to finish and I cant believe no one suggested this to begin with but maybe Im just naieve. I think Strums points were the strongest about the label and the print of it which is why I lean towards this is legit but I like most am not positive but it is certainly worth the chance if we pool funds together and have someone thats knows what the hell theyre doing authenicate it on the spot before money changes hands. Thats all I could think about while reading this novel is pool the money, save the game, play the game. And with that, I'm gone to bed. Goodnight :)

You can count me in. I've done this with session tapes before, and with the right people, it will work out.

Secure the ROM, resell, devide the return according to how much each person chipped in.

Game bought for $100

Person 1 contributes $75

Person 2 contributes $25

Game resells for $50

Person 1 gets $37.50 back

Person 2 gets $12.50 back

Do we know where is nagn2 located?

Edited by cosmosiss

OK well this guy needs to think up a money number cause I am now willing to buy it. Dude come up with the crazy ass price you want to get out of it and let me know so I can pony the cash to get it out of your hands and into mine.

• Like 1

OK well this guy needs to think up a money number cause I am now willing to buy it. Dude come up with the crazy ass price you want to get out of it and let me know so I can pony the cash to get it out of your hands and into mine.

He wont sell it for he knows its a fake and the moment he sells it the whole story comes to light. Seriously, people were offering him idiotic sums for this thing and he wouldn't even consider it because he promised the so called programmer that he wouldn't release it publicaly. Come on, who does that if offered figures up to $7500 if I recall the last offer to be? Face it guys this thing wont see the light of day because it cannot. If someone can prove me wrong please do but my money will be on a no show every time ;)

• 1 year later...

Thanks for bumping this -- I wasn't here when this originaly happened and it was a fascinating read. :)

There's 3 choices of what this game actually is:

1) An original and hard to find game as has been said by the poster

2) A very eloborate hoax

3) A game the poster thought was rare and original but has since been found to be fake, a homebrew, a hoax, etc.

Given the passage of time and the fact we haven't heard or seen anything since, I'm 99 percent inclined to say it's either option 2 or 3.

Maybe someone could send the programer a e-mail or a nice call and ask if he ever found any more copies, as he said he was going to look?

Given the passage of time and the fact we haven't heard or seen anything since, I'm 99 percent inclined to say it's either option 2 or 3.

Interesting theory.

Because we haven't heard or seen anything since, it's most probably a hoax or homebrew.

When was the last time you've heard of this one?

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?MENU=2&VERSION_ID=19591

Or this one?

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?MENU=2&VERSION_ID=20852

Or this one?

http://www.atarimania.com/lst_soft.php?MENU=2&TYPE_CODE=G&Page=1&SOFT_LIB=&EDITEUR_ID=3158&BOITE_ID=&FORMAT_ID=&REF=&VERSION_ANNEE=&PRG_ID=&PAYS_ID=&LICENCE_ID=&SFAMILLE_ID=&VERSION_CART_RARITY=&VERSION_K7_RARITY=&Step=100&VISU=TABLE&btn_sauver=Search

Not hoaxes at all.

8)

Raiders of the Lost Ark is a hoax? :)

That was one reason I asked if anyone had talked to the programer in the last two years, to see if he ever had a chance to look for the extra copies he thinks he has.

I see also that the 'finder' of the game is still active here, which is a good sign, I suspose....he seemed so gung ho on selling it for the highest price, though, and then the offers stopped coming in and everyone got blah.

I realize there are some real games out thre are known to exist but not been shared and/or dumped for one reason or another -- Pink Panther and Charlie Brown come right to mind. I still think this one is a hoax, IMHO.

Hi Everyone,

I didn't know what the reactions would be about bringing this thread back to life....but I REALLY got interested in this when it "all began" and I accidentally stumbled on this thread a week ago thru another thread and figured "why not?".

My only concern is if this guy Steve gets bombarded again with calls, emails and....I know...I know...I told everyone he's on FaceBook (If it's THE Steve) and I hope everyone won't curtail him away from bringing this to life to "dump"....if in fact, it IS for real.

I promise you all....if by chance I can get a copy of this, I will be straight on here asking how, when, where, why, who's on first, what's on second and all the above questions to get this opened and dumped.

I know it's a long shot, but I will do what I can.

I hope it's not a hoax, but you never know...like ROM stated...carts out there that everyone thought were!

Interesting theory.

Because we haven't heard or seen anything since, it's most probably a hoax or homebrew.

When was the last time you've heard of this one?

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?MENU=2&VERSION_ID=19591

Or this one?

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?MENU=2&VERSION_ID=20852

Or this one?

http://www.atarimania.com/lst_soft.php?MENU=2&TYPE_CODE=G&Page=1&SOFT_LIB=&EDITEUR_ID=3158&BOITE_ID=&FORMAT_ID=&REF=&VERSION_ANNEE=&PRG_ID=&PAYS_ID=&LICENCE_ID=&SFAMILLE_ID=&VERSION_CART_RARITY=&VERSION_K7_RARITY=&Step=100&VISU=TABLE&btn_sauver=Search

Not hoaxes at all.

8)

Yes but Rom the difference with these is that they have either been seen by reliable sources or are owned by reliable sources. THe guy who owns Red Sea Crossing refuses to offer any validation of the game and the owner claims he has a whole garage full of the things and because of this has made the so called owner promise never to release his copy and on top of that the owner has turned down some truly ridicolous sums of money to sell it. Doesn't make sense? ;)