IGNORED

HELP! Information on Red Sea Crossing?

nagn2

Hi there,

Some of these may have been posted already but...

1> How did he learn to program the 2600?

2> What size is the cart? (dumping it would find this out)

3> What did he find the most difficult in programming the 2600?

4> What does he remember liking/disliking about the 2600?

5> Had he done any 6502 programming prior to this? If so then what?

6> Are there any undocumented opcodes used in the game?

7> Are there any coding tricks he remembers having to do for this game?

8> Why did he develop this for the 2600? Market share at the time? Challenge of the machine?

9> Did he use an existing game as help (i.e. did he reverse engineer a game to help do this one)?

10> Does he have any source code laying around?

11> How did he make his cartridges?

12> Any plans to send to a publisher (i.e. Activision, Atari, Imagic, etc.)?

13> Was there anyone else involved (i.e. artists, sound engineers, marketing, etc.)?

14> Is there a title screen? If so does it use the classic 6-digit display trick?

Ok, this is what we have so far:

- What was your idea/inspiration behind this game?

- Did you program it for a certain (religious) reason?

- Was it supposed to be a children's only game?

- Is it a complete game? If so, does it have an ending?

- Do you still know/have the instuctions?

- Was the game was originally sold with a box and/or manual?

- What equipment did you use for programming the game?

- Do you still own the source code somewhere?

- How did you know how to program the Atari 2600?

- Did you sell the carts? If so, how much did one cart cost?

- Who made them?

- Who was the distributor? (if any)

- What exactly does the number '321430' on the label mean? Was it just a model number or a reference to something else?

- Where there any other 'Inspirational Video Concepts', besides an Atari 2600 game?

- Did you design your own label?

- Did you program the game yourself? If so, did you also program the sounds/music/graphics yourself or was someone else responsible for that?

- Does it contain any secrets (or so called 'Easter Eggs')? If so, please don't tell what they are!

- Did you have any connections with then known software houses and/or programmers?

- How long did it take to program the game?

- Do you still own any work in progress or prototypes of this game or any other game concepts?

- What size is the cart? (dumping it would find this out)

- What did you find the most difficult in programming the 2600?

- What do you remember liking/disliking about the 2600?

- Have you done any 6502 programming prior to this? If so, then what?

- Are there any undocumented opcodes used in the game?

- Are there any coding tricks he remembers having to do for this game?

- Why did you develop this for the 2600? Market share at the time? Challenge of the machine?

- Did you use an existing game as help (i.e. did you reverse engineer a game to help do this one)?

- How did you make the cartridges?

- Did you have any plans to send to a publisher (i.e. Activision, Atari, Imagic, etc.)?

- Is there a title screen? If so, does it use the classic 6-digit display trick?

Perhaps this will do for now?

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Ok, this is great, I didn't have a clue of what to ask this guy. I will call him Wed. and let him know I am going to email these questions and to only answer the ones he wishes to. So in the meantime if anyone thinks of any more please post them here. Also, when this is all said and done, what is the the best way for me to find the proper home for this cartridge? It definately belongs in a serious collectors hands. I do not collect games, I just buy and sell. When I bought these 2 games I had no clue of how rare they were, they were just games I had never seen before. I was hoping they would be $5.00 to $10.00 games instead of the usual 99 cents your lucky to get. WOW, did I get a thrill! I don't think I will ever be able to top this one. Just the buzz this has generated is mind blowing!

What a find! Fantastic and congrats...

I don't see anything wrong with you offering the item on the marketplace and holding a private auction. I would suggest the following to appease everyone:

1. Find a local reputable AA member that can "dump" the contents of the game. You have quite a discovery for a beloved system. That way the data is preserved in the event this game is again lost to the ages or the infamous "bit rot" sets in.

2. Post your intentions of an auction, holding prices back except to bidders and presenting a running tally of bidder names. That way there is no shill bidding and all involved know what they are up against. I would suggest maybe a 7 or 10 period, and then notify folks at other game sites your intentions. If you ebay it, it would do the same thing I suppose.

I am sure I am going to be blasted for saying this (Hey, I've been around long enough to have thick skin....even had someone hope my collection is worthless...thanks pal)... but I see nothing wrong with you selling your newfound item. Its yours, you are a reseller. You got lucky and now someone who buys it will too. Money you can get more of. Rarity games are rare for a reason. There are a number of collectors here who are world-class and real standup folks. I think you will make out well on the sale and if you are willing to dump the game, all can enjoy it regardless of whether they have big bucks or not.

My .25. Blast away.

Cassidy

Hi all,

Just a caution-- let's make sure we don't stress out the programmer. I know we tend to get excited as a community, but I don't want the guy to feel like he just got a million fans that are all suddenly aware of his existence. With the guy's info posted here, well... anyone could decide to get involved directly of their own whim, and that would be bad. So, let's keep our heads here. Nobody really thought to ask this question but-- what happens if he has a copy of 2 (or 20) of the original game? People may try to direct-call the guy to try to buy it. And, if there were enough people to try that... it may turn him off, and he may answer *nothing*. To suddenly open yourself up to publicity your not used to.... could turn the guy away. So, let's make sure we're careful.

I'm sure that most of the community believes this as well, but if there are some "new-joiners" that are reading this thread and think that directly contacting the guy would be a good thing right now, don't do it-- it may cost the community.

-John

So, let's make sure we're careful.

At least one more AA member should contact him, IMO. Just to make sure. ;)

I think that would be a good question I can ask him...to see if he doesn't mind someone on here who is well known and respected by this community to contact him so everyone knows it is legit. When I did talk to him I told him I hoped he wasn't getting bombarded with calls. I told him the last thing I want is for him to get harrassed and I sincerely meant it. I will not give out any of his personal information he does give me (phone #, email, etc) and I will get his permission to share his answers if he so chooses.

I think that would be a good question I can ask him...to see if he doesn't mind someone on here who is well known and respected by this community to contact him so everyone knows it is legit.

I suggest Rom Hunter, Tempest or CPUWIZ. But there are plenty other respected members at AA.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

I think that would be a good question I can ask him...to see if he doesn't mind someone on here who is well known and respected by this community to contact him so everyone knows it is legit.

I suggest Rom Hunter, Tempest or CPUWIZ. But there are plenty other respected members at AA.

This is a good idea. :)

-John

Ok, I went ahead and called him today becasue I didn't want to let this get out of control with people calling him. He did say I am the only one who has contacted him. He said to go ahead and email the questions which I have just done. He said he will take a look and email them back to me when he gets a chance. I also asked him about this "dumping" which several people have brought up. He does not like that idea and considers it stealing. So please note - I WILL NOT DUMP THIS CARTRIDGE SO PLEASE DON'T ASK! He has been very nice about this situation and does not owe me or anyone on here anything, so let's please respect his privacy. I did ask in the email if he minds if someone on here gives him a followup call after he sends back the email, so let's see what he says. I will post his answers as soon as I get his email with his permission to do so.

I also asked him about this "dumping" which several people have brought up. He does not like that idea and considers it stealing.

Bummer! :sad: :sad: :sad:

There are many good arguments for dumping the ROM:

1. It prevents the only known original from getting lost due to bit rot

2. It allows releasing copies of the game on cart. Go to the store, there you will find many modern homebrews being sold. The programmers make (little) profit from it. This does NOT devaluate the original single copy.

3. Almost all modern homebrews are available for download (check the 2600 section). This allows try before you buy and enjoing the game on emulators.

I am sure, many, many people will start begging for dumping now. Just like I did. ;)

Here we go again. Someone want to explain to me why it would be stealing to dump the thing? I understand he programmed the game but that was 24 years ago for a system that is no longer produced and the cart has changed hands now God knows how many times so what is the problem? Does he realise how many games have been dumped for preservation reasons? If this thing hadn't been found no one would even know who the guy was or even that his game existed. Besides in all essence it really has little to do with him any more as the cart belongs to some one else. (Sits back and waits for the fall out :D ) ;)

I could partially see his point-- maybe he'd be ok if an arrangement was made where he was paid royalties from any release made. After all, it is his work. :)

-John

Ok when was the last time you heard Rob Fulop or David Crane ask for royalties for the games they designed that were dumped on line? He said he believed 100 carts were made so is he saying he wasn't paid for any of them? ;)

Ok when was the last time you heard Rob Fulop or David Crane ask for royalties for the games they designed that were dumped on line? He said he believed 100 carts were made so is he saying he wasn't paid for any of them? ;)

I wouldn't mind if he doesn't release the ROM to public now, as long as he allows to buy them on cart.

I wouldn't mind if he doesn't release the ROM to public now, as long as he allows to buy them on cart.

For the record I am not bothered if I never own the game, i would just like to be safe in the knowledge that a possibly one of a kind game isn't lost forever to bit rot. I would be happy if Tempest or someone of equal stature could study it and review it for the rest of us to understand more about it. Secondly it seems a coincidence does it not that once value was ascertained the original programmer doesn't want the game dumped. Am I being too cynical or does anyone else question if the reason for not dumping the Rom is to simply inflate the price and keep it high? ;)

Am I being too cynical or does anyone else question if the reason for not dumping the Rom is to simply inflate the price and keep it high? ;)

Maybe. Or maybe he just doesn't know much about the Atari community (yet). Or maybe some other reason...

Thomas I respect you but on this I just feel that what may have begun in all innocence has now begun to spiral into something more sinister. Yes he has a right to sell it to who he wants and for what ever price he wants but since a price was mentioned suddenly the game has become untouchable to all but the highest bidder with no doubt a clause stipulating that the rom cannot be released ever. I hope I am wrong on this ;)

Thomas I respect you but on this I just feel that what may have begun in all innocence has now begun to spiral into something more sinister. Yes he has a right to sell it to who he wants and for what ever price he wants but since a price was mentioned suddenly the game has become untouchable to all but the highest bidder with no doubt a clause stipulating that the rom cannot be released ever.

And I thought I am the most pessimistic person around. ;)

Anyway, without releasing the ROM it becomes pretty impossible to 100% confirm that the game is for real and not the well done hoax the community was expecting to happen for years now. Which would most likely devaluate the cart.

Thomas I respect you but on this I just feel that what may have begun in all innocence has now begun to spiral into something more sinister. Yes he has a right to sell it to who he wants and for what ever price he wants but since a price was mentioned suddenly the game has become untouchable to all but the highest bidder with no doubt a clause stipulating that the rom cannot be released ever.

And I thought I am the most pessimistic person around. ;)

Anyway, without releasing the ROM it becomes pretty impossible to 100% confirm that the game is for real and not the well done hoax the community was expecting to happen for years now. Which would most likely devalueate the cart.

No, but I will conceed you a close second my friend :D That is just about hitting the nail on the head there for why else would someone not want the game released? Wouldn't be the first time it has happened ;)