IGNORED

Hardest 2600 game to find....your opinion.

ninermaniac

I guess Eli's Ladder is not hard to find?

Eli's Ladder is an R10 and is very hard to find:

http://www.atariage.com/software_list.html?SystemID=2600

This discussion about rare games has occurred many times before...if you want to know what games are rare, look up the R10s and R9s in the database and you'll get a pretty good idea. A few of those (Ikari Warriors, Motorodeo, Obelix) have dropped in rarity, but the list is mostly accurate.

And please stop posting threads in the 2600 forum asking about rare games like Air Raid, River Patrol, etc. and where you can find them...lots of people are looking for these. If you have serious interest in purchasing them, post an ad in the Wanted section and sit back and wait, or go out and prepare to do some serious searching.

and forking over big bucks.......

Most of the Time games like this that would pop up would be in a old attic somewhere and then sold at a flea market

How many people know or care to know the value of an atari game especially when it will be mixed with other games.

most of my best finds have been at yard sale/flea markets for 50 cents each unless it ends up in a gaming store it will be no more money than a asteroids cart.

As far as "impossible" to locate protos and all that, instead of just blindly scouring the net and every thrift store in the world.... I have a simple idea that could help you guys find these "impossibles". just find out some information like who worked on the development. do an internet search for the person who programmed the game on white pages.com or the CEO/Owner/producer. I know we are talking about almost 30 years ago but if I painstakingly programmed an entire video game I would keep the proto. im sure there are protos just chilling in these peoples basements.

and it's not like you would be bothering them or anything. If i was some 60 year old dude and a younger guy called me telling me he was a fan of my Atari work, I would be flattered. and if I still had this proto i would be like "here ya go, take it"

just rely on the 5 degrees of separation theory. meet some programmer at a convention ask him if he knows anybody who helped developed/produced said proto and contact that person. that person will atleast remember the names of other employees who could have a copy. make a couple calls and youve found it. even if the refuse to sell it, ask them if they would allow the rom to be dumped

I am not a hardcore proto collector by no means, but if I was best believe i would be ringing phones off the hook and sucessfully locating these "impossibles"

If your willing to shell out hundreds of dollars on rare games then this should be easy.

and oh yeah... if the people that have them even knew they were worth a penny they would be on ebay

HAH my PAL Mystique double-ender Burning Desire/Bachelorette Party with case and instructions would surely be more rarer,theres only 2 known to exist.

,mine and another one that is only the cart :cool:

Well that's an interesting question. As far as i know i am the only one with a confirmed PAL copy of that game. I've asked here a few times on the forum but no one has stepped forward claiming to own one too. Interestingly, nobody even knew it existed before i posted pictures of mine. Best thing is, it used to be shrinkwrapped (but not anymore :D )

HAH my PAL Mystique double-ender Burning Desire/Bachelorette Party with case and instructions would surely be more rarer,theres only 2 known to exist.

,mine and another one that is only the cart :cool:

Well that's an interesting question. As far as i know i am the only one with a confirmed PAL copy of that game. I've asked here a few times on the forum but no one has stepped forward claiming to own one too. Interestingly, nobody even knew it existed before i posted pictures of mine. Best thing is, it used to be shrinkwrapped (but not anymore :D )

Are you sure yours is not Playaround ,as i can only find reference here of mine and staberinde

PAL Pengo is not a label variation!! It's a completely different ROM for a different market, that's very different.

Well, that's basically a matter of definition. I still would say it is a label variation, as it is the same game (as far as I know) with respect to graphics, gameplay etc. I for myself would not count PAL and NTSC versions of the same game as two different games. But off course you are correct that it's a different rom, so if you define the game by it's code, you are clearly correct.

Still, no one willing to trade a PAL Pengo for n+2 combat games :) ?

As far as "impossible" to locate protos and all that, instead of just blindly scouring the net and every thrift store in the world.... I have a simple idea that could help you guys find these "impossibles". just find out some information like who worked on the development. do an internet search for the person who programmed the game on white pages.com or the CEO/Owner/producer. I know we are talking about almost 30 years ago but if I painstakingly programmed an entire video game I would keep the proto. im sure there are protos just chilling in these peoples basements.

Sorry, but it's not that easy...I've done that many times with little success. Besides, there's a small problem...for some games we don't know anything about the company or in some cases even know who the programmer was.

Take X-Man, for example. Nobody knows much about who programmed the game. The back of the box says "Programmed and designed by H.K. Poon". That could be the name of a real person, or it could be an alias...who knows? Who are we supposed to ask?

Nobody knows much the Los Angeles "company" that released X-Man either. There is no record in the California corporate registry of any company called Universal Gamex. Gamex was probably a division of Spectravideo, but that has never been conclusively proven, so far as I am aware. Even if they were, are you going to call up Spectravideo (now called Logic 3) 25 years later and ask them about Atari games? Try it and see what kind of an answer you get. :lol:

I contacted Charles Band (former president of Wizard Video) on two occasions (by email and MySpace) to ask him about the Wizard games (specifically Flesh Gordon and the alternate TCM prototype). He did not answer either of my messages, which means he either doesn't know or doesn't care (probably both). Should I just keep harrassing him until he tells me he doesn't know?

just rely on the 5 degrees of separation theory. meet some programmer at a convention ask him if he knows anybody who helped developed/produced said proto and contact that person. that person will atleast remember the names of other employees who could have a copy. make a couple calls and youve found it. even if the refuse to sell it, ask them if they would allow the rom to be dumped

This also has been done before. You've obviously never spoken to any programmer from the Atari era...we're talking about 25 years ago here and unfortunately, in most cases they don't remember half of what you seem to think they do.

I am not a hardcore proto collector by no means, but if I was best believe i would be ringing phones off the hook and sucessfully locating these "impossibles"

Right. If you think it's so easy, go right ahead and try. :roll:

Are you sure yours is not Playaround ,as i can only find reference here of mine and staberinde

Told you it was rare :D

Anyway, here are the pictures i posted some time ago. Judge for yourself: http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...mp;#entry985388

Thats PAL Custers Revenge not PAL Mystique double-ender Burning Desire/Bachelorette Party :)

@ realred5

That's actually a sweet deal...82 'tapes' for a buck. You can't lose. ;)

Correction... 82 Atari Nintendo Tapes for a buck.

I loves my atari-nintendo tapes, with Pork Cavern being my favorite.

I still think Air Raid is the hardest to find.

Man you have no idea. MagiCard is probably the hardest game to find. AirRaid looks common compared to it ;)

Magicard is not a game. its a programming tool. but you are right, as a cart, its pretty rare. I don't know how many are known to exist, but there wouldn't be too many more than Air Raid.

Air Raid is not the rarest "game" by any stretch of the imagination.

i would say that if a PAL Pengo were to turn up on eBay it would easily lead to the highest prices paid for a PAL cart, and i cant imagine what it would go for if boxed!

If PAL Pengo were to come up boxed on eBay - and we don't even know if there is a box for it - it would get the second highest amount ever seen for a PAL cart.

The highest price? That'd be Go Go Home Monster complete in box. Something we PAL collectors can only dream about. :)

If it ever turns up PAL collectors will be off to sort out their second mortgages....

To put it into perspective if I were offered a swap of my Music Machine, Glib, Qbert's Qubes and all of my Atari club (Quadrun etc.) for the one Go Go Home Monster CIB I'd take it straight away.

And then I'd watch while another 10 appeared on eBay, probably, knowing my luck....

The highest price? That'd be Go Go Home Monster complete in box. Something we PAL collectors can only dream about. :)

If it ever turns up PAL collectors will be off to sort out their second mortgages....

To put it into perspective if I were offered a swap of my Music Machine, Glib, Qbert's Qubes and all of my Atari club (Quadrun etc.) for the one Go Go Home Monster CIB I'd take it straight away.

And then I'd watch while another 10 appeared on eBay, probably, knowing my luck....

Hell I would mortgage the house and sacrifice the kids college fund to own a loose copy of that damn cart. For a boxed one I think I would be forced to sell the wife, all in a good cause though ;)

If PAL Pengo were to come up boxed on eBay - and we don't even know if there is a box for it - it would get the second highest amount ever seen for a PAL cart.

Are you proposing that the game was sold wrapped in tin foil?

The first two titles and the fourth title are certainly not the rarest of the series, so I'm still puzzled by the fact that the third title never showed up.

It happens...River Patrol was certainly not the last game released by Tigervision. Why so rare then?

Mission Omega and Underworld were supposed to be the sixth and seventh CommaVid releases, but they never showed up. Mission Omega is still MIA and I don't think Underworld even made it to the coding stage.

Edited by PingvinBlueJeans

Are you proposing that the game was sold wrapped in tin foil?

The first two titles and the fourth title are certainly not the rarest of the series, so I'm still puzzled by the fact that the third title never showed up.

It happens...River Patrol was certainly not the last game released by Tigervision. Why so rare then?

Mission Omega and Underworld were supposed to be the sixth and seventh CommaVid releases, but they never showed up. Mission Omega is still MIA and I don't think Underworld even made it to the coding stage.

I understand what you are saying. I guess that River Patrol just didn't have the same distribution as a Miner 2049er. When was the last time this came up for sale on eBay. February! I got this one on my notification list. Only one hit in a very long time. Air Raid came up once I believe. I think it originally was part of a complete system sale and the guy had no idea what he had. That's until he got upteen million emails about it. I think it sold for $2300. I can't be to sure though.

I'd have to say Flash's Rogues Gallery is probably the absolute hardest non-prototype cart to find for the 2600, it being dumped on the market at the same time as E.T. I understand most of the copies ended up in the same landfill. Too bad, too. It played like a cross between Superman and Moondust for the C-64. Loads of fun. I always liked the Mirror Master level the best, but usually a;ll anyone who's played it talks about is the Gorilla Grodd fight.