IGNORED

What are your favorite Songbird Games?

bergbros

Carl Forhan has kept the flame alive for the Lynx with his published titles. I played a couple of them and I really liked Lexis and Cybervirus the most. I like scrabble games and Lexis with its complex scoring and secret moves make it deep and satisfying. Cybervirus graphically is stunning and with the Battlewheels engine, shows off the capabilities of the Lynx. I read some reviews of Championship Rally at IGNs site and they said that the game is based on memorization. How does it stack up to the leader of racing games on the Lynx, Checkered Flag? Crystal Mines II does not count because it is an expansion pack although it really expands the game and gives it unlimited replay value. What are your impression on the Songbird games?

Well I have all the Songbird games (not SFX) and I love all of them :lust:

My favorites are Championship Rally and CyberVirus (By the way is it CyberVirus, Cybervirus or Cyber Virus?)

I think Championship Rally almost is as good as Checkered Flag. Well it is a little different type of racing game where you see your car from above like in APB. CR graphics is not as good as CF of course but the graphics is very clear and the frame-rate is excellent. The sound is OK with a nice intro music. The best thing about this game is its playability, the controls are very sharp. And, most important maybe, the game is fun to play. I recommend everyone the get this game :)

The IGN reviews on CR and Remnant was a bad joke! :x

CyberVirus is of course overall a FANTASTIC game. But to bad it has´nt a password feature like Championship Rally has.

Lexis: I agree, this is a very nice game. Good graphics and fun to play. The only bad thing here is the lack of music. Knowing Shadowsoft is behind this game I had hoped for some music like in Robotron 2084. Robotron 2084 which I think has (together with Sokomania) the BEST LYNX MUSIC EVER! :D

http://forums.atari.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1303

I'll make a few comments on this thread, but please feel be warned that I developed and/or published the Songbird games, so take what I say with a grain of salt. :)

CyberVirus should be written as CyberVirus, I guess. :) It's a cool game that shows the Lynx can handle the 3D sprite-based graphics as well as a mission-based storyline common for first-person shooters. Since it shares the same 3D engine with BattleWheels, Beyond Games deserves most of the credit for this title, but I did have to design all 16 missions myself, fix several nasty bugs in the code, implement features like stealth mode and the "mission group" select option, create a bunch of new graphics, and so on. You're right that a password / game save would have been nice on CyberVirus. It was much easier to implement the "mission group" select, so I went with that instead.

I absolutely love Champ Rally -- Lucien really did a fantastic job on this game, and IMO it competes with any professional release on the Lynx or GBC, for that matter.

I do agree that IGN was somewhat harsh on the Songbird games they reviewed. I don't think they did an apples-to-apples comparison, where my games should have been compared to other Lynx games or even some GBC games. Still, I was grateful for the coverage at the time and you can definitely say that they weren't biased towards Songbird at all. ;)

Has anyone reached the boss yet in Remnant? It takes a long time to get there, I admit, but it's one of the nicest parts of the game in terms of graphics and audio. :D

I just received my copy of Championship Rally yesterday and must say I'm pretty impressed. I played it all night and think I finally have the hang of it. I know it's basically a racing game but it reminds me a bit of an arcade game I used to love called Rally X.

I just wanted to say good job Carl. You obviously put some time and consideration into the game play for this one also which you can tell by small items like the warning signs on the meadow track so people can slow down & turn in time when moving up and down which due to the screen height would be too short to react otherwise. The moveable obsticles are a nice touch also.

I appreciate the sentiments, but you should thank Lucien for Champ Rally -- that's mostly his game. I just contributed the title music and in-game audio, a few minor graphics, and of course spent way too many hours playtesting it. :) I agree that he did a really nice job with the game, and included a number of features that give this game a lot of variety.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Lucien has made some very nice progress on a raycasting (Wolf 3D) engine for the Lynx. But there are no enemies or gameplay yet, and he wants to do something different than a straight Wolf 3D clone (can't blame him ;) ).

an action/RPG or adventure/RPG would be cool, either a cross between Wolfenstein 3D and DungeonMaster or something. i'd like to see a FPS game on the Lynx like that, but with a bit of mystery and puzzles etc. Hot FPS shooting action mixed with adventure.

uhh...sorry, I'm expecting CyberVirus soon and was looking through old topics for peoples opinions and reviews of it. i came across this old thread and forgot it was old and replied... :ponder:

Lucien has made some very nice progress on a raycasting (Wolf 3D) engine for the Lynx. But there are no enemies or gameplay yet, and he wants to do something different than a straight Wolf 3D clone (can't blame him ;) ).

an action/RPG or adventure/RPG would be cool, either a cross between Wolfenstein 3D and DungeonMaster or something. i'd like to see a FPS game on the Lynx like that, but with a bit of mystery and puzzles etc. Hot FPS shooting action mixed with adventure.

uhh...sorry, I'm expecting CyberVirus soon and was looking through old topics for peoples opinions and reviews of it. i came across this old thread and forgot it was old and replied... :ponder:

I think it was a good idea to revive this thread, as not many collectors realize that Songbird is releasing new titles for the Lynx. For the record, I thought that Greg George's review of "Cybervirus" was spot-on in retrospect after I acquired the game from Carl and had a chance to play it for awhile myself.

"Distant Lands" and "Ultravore" may be delayed, but Carl always does seem to have other projects on the go. He has, after all, released seven Lynx titles in the past five years. CM2:BT was released rather quickly last year, and I'm sure something else will come along ("Break"? "Tempest Lynx"?) before these two titles are released.

I'm particularly looking forward to "Distant Lands" myself, but understand that this project has been delayed because Chris Vick is an exceptionally busy guy. :)

There are definitely some Lynx games in the pipe, and after having announced UV and DL *way* too early, I'm learning that it's best to wait until I'm reasonably close to release. One thing I will say is that the amount of time I personally have to do Lynx or Jag coding has dropped to almost nothing in the past six months.

UV is a game I really want to finish. Harry has helped me a bit on this, but eventually I need to pick up the ball again. There's no one player mode, and only two fighters so there's not a lot of variety in the game, either. But adding a new set of artwork and handling for one or more fighters won't be easy... not even sure if there's room for new artwork in the limited ROM space!

Other people are doing their part, too. Alpine Games is really impressive (and available at Songbird in about a week!), plus I'm expecting some other hobbyists to help publish more games this year. ;)

• 15 years later...
On 2/16/2004 at 1:20 PM, bruce182 said:

What games would this be then?

I emailed Carl and he said that DistantLands or Ultravore would probably not be released untill end of 2004, possibly 2005.

Bruce

I confirm, not even 15 years after 2004 :(

possibly 2105?

• Like 1