IGNORED

Question: ColecoVision Experience

Syphor

Very impressive job, I must say! (I did get the PM, but since you posted a similar message here, I thought I might as well post in the main thread) Feel free to work on the images I've uploaded at leisure, I certainly don't mind. I'd offer the original scans (at 600DPI) for you to work on, but being stuck on dialup means I ain't getting them to you - or anyone else - via the net. It'd have to be physically mailed on a DVD-R. (All files total at only a little less than 4.5gb)

Since you mentioned it in the PM, I also prefer CBR/CBZ over PDF for the ease of portability. However, that varies for different people. :P Anyhow, like I said earlier in the thread, feel free to do pretty much what you like to these. It'd be nice to be credited as the original scan source, but not required - my big thing is making these available at all.

As it turns out, I found I have a few other things that might end up being scanned later. We'll see. :)

Side thought - does anyone have full Colecovision manual scans up? A quick search found someone who had them in TXT format, but it's not quite the same.

Thanks. As far as sending the 600dpi images I could setup an ftp for you so you could maybe get them started overnight or something. At 1500x1986ish resolution saved at 10 compression in Photoshop the jpgs should be an average of 300KB/pic Not too bad over dialup. The main things would be the original resolution (1500x1986ish) is a must and saving the jpg without highly compressing it is also important. Like I mentioned, in Photoshop I always save at 10 "Maximum quality". Some programs give you the option in %.. I wouldn't go any lower than 95%.

I tried editing a few of your scans, but when I change the file size to match my other scans they get a bit too pixelated. Not too bad but if we can do better, why not? :P

It's up to you. If you want me to set my ftp up for you just say the word. If you want to send a CDR that's fine too.

You're right, Colecovision manuals are few and far between... I saw a couple scanned PDF manuals posted on a newsgroup once. I am very surprised there are none on replacementdocs.com

We should all start scanning them :) I scanned a few Atari 2600, neogeo, nes, genesis manuals for the cause.

Very impressive job, I must say! (I did get the PM, but since you posted a similar message here, I thought I might as well post in the main thread) Feel free to work on the images I've uploaded at leisure, I certainly don't mind. I'd offer the original scans (at 600DPI) for you to work on, but being stuck on dialup means I ain't getting them to you - or anyone else - via the net. It'd have to be physically mailed on a DVD-R. (All files total at only a little less than 4.5gb)

Since you mentioned it in the PM, I also prefer CBR/CBZ over PDF for the ease of portability. However, that varies for different people. :P Anyhow, like I said earlier in the thread, feel free to do pretty much what you like to these. It'd be nice to be credited as the original scan source, but not required - my big thing is making these available at all.

As it turns out, I found I have a few other things that might end up being scanned later. We'll see. :)

Side thought - does anyone have full Colecovision manual scans up? A quick search found someone who had them in TXT format, but it's not quite the same.

Thanks. As far as sending the 600dpi images I could setup an ftp for you so you could maybe get them started overnight or something. At 1500x1986ish resolution saved at 10 compression in Photoshop the jpgs should be an average of 300KB/pic Not too bad over dialup. The main things would be the original resolution (1500x1986ish) is a must and saving the jpg without highly compressing it is also important. Like I mentioned, in Photoshop I always save at 10 "Maximum quality". Some programs give you the option in %.. I wouldn't go any lower than 95%.

I tried editing a few of your scans, but when I change the file size to match my other scans they get a bit too pixelated. Not too bad but if we can do better, why not? :P

It's up to you. If you want me to set my ftp up for you just say the word. If you want to send a CDR that's fine too.

You're right, Colecovision manuals are few and far between... I saw a couple scanned PDF manuals posted on a newsgroup once. I am very surprised there are none on replacementdocs.com

We should all start scanning them :) I scanned a few Atari 2600, neogeo, nes, genesis manuals for the cause.

I've like 40 scanned colecovision manuals... and will scanned the rest of my own collection (box too)

That might work. I don't store the original scans in JPG - I prefer PNG because it's lossless. This also means that most of them are 50-67mb. The reduced versions I uploaded were saved at 85% - which is good IMHO for viewing, even if it's not all that great for re-editing. (I'm using GIMP, by the way.) I'll think about it - I won't have the time to do much for the next couple of days anyhow. :P

Retroillucid: Excellent, when/where will these be hosted so we can all see? :D And is there a list of which manuals you have scanned? :)

well, guys-- you're making me proud to keep collecting this foresaken system! I'm loving this-- I'm almost giddy reading these things again! :)

A few things from me... I'll be happy to host the stuff at the colecocollector.com site, and manuals too as I can. I'm not sure what the cbr/cbz format is, but I know PDF seems pretty universal. Anyone have any objections to using PDF as the standard for this stuff?

Anyone know HTML well enough or have any suggestions for what we can do with Colecocollector.com? I don't see a need for anything as intricate or well rounded as AA, but I think it would be cool to have a nice repository of information in original form.

Also, I'm all for all three of you scanning the issues you have. I noticed on at least one of the pages of the scans in this thread, there was pen writing on the page. Not a horrible or unfixable thing, but made me thing maybe with multiple sources, each would have their own merits to making a 'perfect' set.

With that in mind, feel free to PM me or just keep it public here for what I can do to get the colecocollector.com site up and running as a source for Coleco documentation-- manuals, promotional material, etc. I'm not on unlimited space or anything, so I don't want to get into forums and all that yet-- besides Al does an outstanding job here, it'd take light years for me to catch up to his efforts already, so why try!? lol

Murph

PS-- I had that avitar before the scans posted, so no one should think I stole it from Syphor. :)

[quote

Retroillucid: Excellent, when/where will these be hosted so we can all see? :D And is there a list of which manuals you have scanned? :)

Alphabet Zoo

Amazing bumpman

Antarctic Adventure

Bc's Quest for Tires

Beamrider

Brain strainners

Buck Rodgers

Burgertime

Campaign 84

Centipede

Choplifter

ColecoVision Manual

Congo Bongo

Cosmic Crisis (Bit Corp)

Decathlon

Defender

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong Jr

Evolution

Fathom

Flipper Slipper

Frantic Freddy

Frogger

Frogger II

Gyruss

Hero

James Bond 007

Jukebox

Jumpman Jr

Jungle Hunt

Keystone Kapers

Learning With Leapper

Linking Logic

Logic Levels

Memory Manor

Monkey Academy

Moonsweeper

Motocross Racer (Xonox)

Mouse Trap

Ms. Space Fury

One on One Basketball

Pitfall

Popeye

Qbert

River Raid

Rock N Bolt

Sammy Lightfoot

Skiing (telegames)

Slurpy

Smurf

Spectron

Starwars

Strike it! (telegames)

Super Cobra

Super Cross Force

Tank Wars (telegames)

Telly Turtle

Treshold

Tomarc The Barbarian

Tournament Tennis (Telegames)

Tuthankam

Up N Down

Venture

Wing War

Widzard of Id's wizmath

Word Feud

Zenji

________ more coming soon....

Murph: I quite agree. The cover of issue #1 in my case, for one, and there are some markings in the Adam areas of issue #2. It's readable no problem, but far from 'perfect'. The CBR/CBZ format... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_Book_Archive_file .. it's little more than the images stuffed into a renamed RAR (or ZIP for CBZ) file. Easy to extract (obviously) and extremely convenient with reader software that handles them directly.

Retroillucid:

Nice list! I don't know how many others you have since you say more coming, but the manuals I've got that you didn't list are... (not in any real order)

Turbo

Super Action Baseball

Subroc

Zaxxon

Slither

Pepper II

Time Pilot

Omega Race

Miner 2049er (A tad basic, might not be worth it)

Jumpman Junior

Ken Uston Blackjack/Poker

Carnival

Also, system/addon manuals:

ColecoVision

Super Action Controller Set

Expansion Module #2

Roller Controller

Extra:

Color tuning instructions sheet

Colecovision library/catalog booklet

Parker Bros. Video Games catalog booklet. (Lists more than just stuff for Coleco)

...If I accidentally listed something you did, oops. :P

Edit: Added Ken Uston and Carnival.

Edited by Syphor

Murph: I quite agree. The cover of issue #1 in my case, for one, and there are some markings in the Adam areas of issue #2. It's readable no problem, but far from 'perfect'. The CBR/CBZ format... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_Book_Archive_file .. it's little more than the images stuffed into a renamed RAR (or ZIP for CBZ) file. Easy to extract (obviously) and extremely convenient with reader software that handles them directly.

Retroillucid:

Nice list! I don't know how many others you have since you say more coming, but the manuals I've got that you didn't list are... (not in any real order)

Turbo

Super Action Baseball

Subroc

Zaxxon

Slither

Pepper II

Time Pilot

Omega Race

Miner 2049er (A tad basic, might not be worth it)

Jumpman Junior

Ken Uston Blackjack/Poker

Carnival

Also, system/addon manuals:

ColecoVision

Super Action Controller Set

Expansion Module #2

Roller Controller

Extra:

Color tuning instructions sheet

Colecovision library/catalog booklet

Parker Bros. Video Games catalog booklet. (Lists more than just stuff for Coleco)

...If I accidentally listed something you did, oops. :P

Edit: Added Ken Uston and Carnival.

I can scan like another 40 manuals (I think) I've many others to scans....

When Murph's web will be up... maybe I can sent it to him..?

I am soooo excited for the manual scans. I can't wait to get ahold of them :D

My 2 cents on cbr vs pdf...

I like cbr for comics, magazines and guides but I use pdf for manuals.

BTW If anyone needs help editing scans or making pdfs I have much experience in this area and am happy to help. :cool:

Edited by user42

Hey guys the site is 'up', there's just not much to it. :) If anyone wants to send the manuals to me, I think PDF would work best, keeps pages together in one file, still printable, etc. I can put a basic HTML page up immediately with the links and the files. I just don't have the 'mad skillz' to do a pretty web page. :)

you can email them to me, beepblip at swbell_dot_net or any other way you guys can thing of. I already have the 'text' versions of the manuals and the overlay scans I can start putting up soon.

Anyone know of a good program to automate a site, or to manage HTML?? I've got frontpage that I use for my main site, but trying to piggy back sites (like this will be), seems to throw off the front page formatting of the main page, so as it stands, I don't know how to do that...

Murph

Hey guys the site is 'up', there's just not much to it. :) If anyone wants to send the manuals to me, I think PDF would work best, keeps pages together in one file, still printable, etc. I can put a basic HTML page up immediately with the links and the files. I just don't have the 'mad skillz' to do a pretty web page. :)

you can email them to me, beepblip at swbell_dot_net or any other way you guys can thing of. I already have the 'text' versions of the manuals and the overlay scans I can start putting up soon.

Anyone know of a good program to automate a site, or to manage HTML?? I've got frontpage that I use for my main site, but trying to piggy back sites (like this will be), seems to throw off the front page formatting of the main page, so as it stands, I don't know how to do that...

Murph

I must be dumb?... what's the address of your web?

Murph

colecocollector.com

colecocollector.com

Hmm... http://www.colecocollector.com/ ?

Seems like a generic reserved webspace to me. Is it something other than that address?

Also, I have no problem hosting manuals, magazines etc. @ my website. It's been up since 1996 so you don't have to worry about it going away anytime soon :)

Edited by spoonman

colecocollector.com

Hmm... http://www.colecocollector.com/ ?

Seems like a generic reserved webspace to me. Is it something other than that address?

Also, I have no problem hosting manuals, magazines etc. @ my website. It's been up since 1996 so you don't have to worry about it going away anytime soon :)

Glad to know... I'm not the only one who get this page...

Glad to know... I'm not the only one who get this page...

Grrrr... you guys are right, the *@#$ at namecheap.com didn't send me a renewal notice and I appear to have lost the domain last month. Man, that burns me up. Oh well, live and learn.

I went ahead and registered 2 other domains... mycolecovision.com and colecovisionary.com. Both should be active today, same as the old site-- the domain name is jsut a redirect.

Spoonman, Like I said earlier, the more of us that host the better to keep the info out there. I'm not worried about traffic or any of that stuff. I'm not trying to generate ad revenue or anything, this is just for the love of the hobby, so host away as well if it's up to me! :)

Murph

Here's what I got scanned.... I'm planning to scans like 100+ manuals in total

Alphabet Zoo

Amazing bumpman

Antarctic Adventure

Bc's Quest for Tires

Beamrider

Brain strainners

Buck Rodgers

Burgertime

Cabbage Patch Kids - Adventures In The Park

Campaign 84

Carnival

Centipede

Choplifter

ColecoVision Manual

ColecoVision Expansion Module 1

Congo Bongo

Cosmic Crisis (Bit Corp)

Decathlon

Defender

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong Jr

Evolution

Fathom

Flipper Slipper

Frantic Freddy

Frogger

Frogger II

Gyruss

Heist, The

Hero

James Bond 007

Jukebox

Jumpman Jr

Jungle Hunt

Ken Huston Blackjack/Poker

Keystone Kapers

Learning With Leapper

Linking Logic

Logic Levels

Memory Manor

Monkey Academy

Moonsweeper

Motocross Racer (Xonox)

Mouse Trap

Ms. Space Fury

One on One Basketball

Pitfall

Popeye

Qbert

River Raid

Rock N Bolt

Rock N Rope

Sammy Lightfoot

Skiing (telegames)

Slurpy

Smurf Rescue

Spectron

Starwars

Strike it! (telegames)

Super Cobra

Super Cross Force

Tank Wars (telegames)

Tarzan

Telly Turtle

Treshold

Tomarc The Barbarian

Tournament Tennis (Telegames)

Tuthankam

Up N Down

Venture

Wing War

Widzard of Id's wizmath

Word Feud

Zenji

Edited by retroillucid

Damn. I want to see these things uploaded somewhere! xD I don't really have anything constructive to add to this at the moment, unfortunately. Although....

They're a lot bigger and I'm not sure I want to scan them at the moment, but I'll keep it in mind if people show interest... I have Family Computing June '84 - October '85, as well as a single Compute!'s Gazette (#4) in poor shape as well as some issues of Commodore Power Play. It looks like most of what I have in ColecoVision is being done already here, just needs to get on the web. xD (Though I'd be happy to provide alternate scans of what I have.)

I know this all started on the ColecoVision, but hey, if we're on a scanning kick and this can be archived... that's a good thing, right? :D

Hi Syphor...

I have your 3 magazine-scans on my site.

Thank you Sream and Fly for PDF format.

I can take some of the Game-manuals into my site too, if it done also in a finished PDF format.

Also for Colecovision itself and the other expansions.

:D

I also have tons of it, but i need to know how i can do a PDF files.

Which Adobe program can convert Jpg scan to PDF format?.

Is it Reader.

:?:

Quick dirty way to do it by page is to just install PDF995 from Download.com. It's a 'print driver' that prints to a PDF file. It's what I use anyway, and it works just fine! You can format for multiple pages in Word or something, then print it to the PDF file printer and be done too I guess. :)

Also Retro-- you give any thought to zipping the scanned files up and uploading them to a torrent tracker? If you're not familiar with torrents, it's a way to let a bunch of people get the files with you only having to upload them once using a distributed upload method. :) Matter of fact, a torrent might be the most bandwidth friendly method of getting the manuals out there to avoid obscene traffic on any one site.

Murph

:?:

Also Retro-- you give any thought to zipping the scanned files up and uploading them to a torrent tracker? If you're not familiar with torrents, it's a way to let a bunch of people get the files with you only having to upload them once using a distributed upload method. :) Matter of fact, a torrent might be the most bandwidth friendly method of getting the manuals out there to avoid obscene traffic on any one site.

Murph

Humm.. I'm not familiar with torrent... I think I'll have to send it to you by mail... on Dvd-R....

what do you think?...

I have a 10 years of colecovision archive...many great stuff... I'll have check this whole thing