IGNORED

Question about the live camera

Shannon

Ok I know that microsoft recently added the ability to communicated with windows users who have a messenger account. So my question is does this include use of the xbox 360 live camera? If so do I need Gold in order to use it? Or will Silver work just fine?

To get the most out of the camera you would need a Gold account.

You cannot Video Chat with a Silver account.

You can however send Video messages with a silver account I think.

I have the Xbox Live Vision, but admit I rarely use it.

I got it in a Live kit off eBay for about $50. That's where you get a bunch of stuff (1 year Gold, 200 MS Points, Free Arcade game, Game purchase coupon, and camera) for a reduced cost. It's a nifty little gadget, but I don't ever think to use it.

ok thanks. I was just curious. My brother has mentioned a couple times about getting a webcam and now that my mother has internet it seems like a more plausible idea. But I was trying to decide if the 360 camera would work for those purposes.

I wonder if there are windows drivers for the thing. You would think there would be since microsoft has drivers for the 360 controllers.

From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_Live_Vision

PC Compatibility

The Vision Camera is compatible with Windows XP Service Pack 2 using USB 2.0 connection. It requires a microphone for audio when used on a PC. Drivers are not included with the Vision Camera–you must allow Windows to download them automatically when prompted.

The Live Vision Camera is not currently supported on any version of Windows Vista, however the camera still works on Windows Live Messenger 8.1 (after the user has set up the camera and microphone).

Mac OS X 10.4.9 added support for the USB "video class" group of peripherals, including Vision Camera. They work in iChat and other applications that use Quicktime for video display, such as Skype. Connection over USB2 is also mandatory.

The Vision Camera is also compatible with Sony's PlayStation 3 (requires firmware 1.54).

The Wiki entry also states you can use the video chat with a Silver account, but I believe that is false.

This was the kit I got:

Xbox 360 Live Vision Camera Gold Kit:

Xbox Live Vision camera

12 months Xbox Live Gold membership

Wired Xbox 360 Headset

200 Microsoft Points

3 Xbox Live Arcade downloads (UNO, TotemBall and Robotron: 2084)

I found one new on eBay for like $50-$55