IGNORED

Quake 3 Adventure!

Gregory DG

Whenver I take a peek at these shots my right arm gets confused because I cant pan round with the mouse and see whats behind :)  

Do you have an ETA for a first release  :?:

Not really. I'm not posting any date for completion because these unexpected things crop up like the broken teleporters and the "I don't know where the fog button is" kinds stuff.

Shoot, I could probably finish the actual maze itself in less than a week, but, like any great artist, I won't release it until it's perfect!

teleporters?  Man, I must have missed something in Adventure????

You have to use teleporters because of the funky way the mazes work. Here is the image I am making the map from. Notice how the paths are kinda weird?

http://home.att.net/~ataritimes/ADV-MAP1.GIF

Yellow Castle looks really cool.  Mazes look great as well.  Keep up the amazing work! :thumbsup:

Thanks. It gets better and better the more I tweak it!

More new shots:

The White Castle (I love to copy/paste!)

http://home.att.net/~ataritimes/whitecastle.jpg

Rooms adjacent to the White Castle (notice the colored lighting)

http://home.att.net/~ataritimes/wcroom.jpg

White & Gold Castles (Floating above the map)

http://home.att.net/~ataritimes/wc_and_gc.jpg

Running around in the orange maze:

http://home.att.net/~ataritimes/orangemaze.jpg

I realized I needed to change the coloring of the orange maze walls. Apparently the map I was using as a guide inverted the colors of the walls and the floor. I've fixed the Quake map so that is exactly like the game.

Also, the dark walls make it confusing enough that I may forego the fog and just build the mazes with light.

More incredible shots! That White Castle is totally cool, as is the birds eye of the two castles.

I assume something will take the place of the gun (ie whatever you are carrying like the magnet or sword). But how will you manage the bridge item????

Also, re: teleporters, will the player actually notice that they are stepping onto the teleporters, or will be it be an automatic thing?

Still amazing stuff, thanks for sharing!

Stan

More incredible shots!  That White Castle is totally cool, as is the birds eye of the two castles.

I assume something will take the place of the gun (ie whatever you are carrying like the magnet or sword).  But how will you manage the bridge item????

My plan is to make it available as a Deathmatch map first and then work on the "Adventure" aspect of the game. I hope to make a "low-res" sword just like the original game.

Getting the bridge to work will probably take some extra QuakeC coding for which I'm not very experienced. So, we'll see how that goes!

Also, re: teleporters, will the player actually notice that they are stepping onto the teleporters, or will be it be an automatic thing?

I'm looking into making it as seemless as possible, but I'm not sure it is possible. I have made "invisible" teleporters that work just fine, but there is a coded sound effect that I don't think can be changed unless the actual Quake code is altered.

This map is getting cooler by them moment as I get more stuff to work!

:wink:

you'd have to do that for EVERYTHING though. The inviso mazes, the inside of the black and white castles, ANYWHERE you'd use a bridge. Outdoors it could make sense, instead of a hedge maze, its a chasm kind of deal. Inside the castles may be harder to explain....

Greg, will you keep the DOT and the Easter Egg???

What if we consider the castle sides as a walls rather than a solid building...

Then you could have a courtyard with a maze in it....

But I agree with you... Inside you would want to have those dark corners to sneak around...

a rather un inmaginative version would have a door at every potential crossing with a bridge "key"... but it would lack the drop and leave aspect..

That is' date=' make the old "walls" lower than the gray path. So that you are walking on top of the maze rather than in it...

[/quote']

I've thought about doing that too, but I don't think that would be true to the original game.

Greg' date=' will you keep the DOT and the Easter Egg???[/quote']

In the "Adventure" version of the map, yes. For the Deathmatch, I'm just building the map first.

There are tons of things to put in the "Adventure" game! What about when the bat flies in and exchanges your sword for a dragon? Or when the bat flies you around the kingdom? Or how you can "see" the White Castle from that phoney exit in the WC maze? Or how you can move two objects at a time by running into them repeatedly? There really is a lot of nuances to this game!

As for the bridge in the Deathmatch map, it's a static object for now. One cool thing I discovered when creating the "arch" for the bridge is that you tend to "hop" over it. And, if you do it right, you can hop up and tour the TOP of the maze! (In fact, I put some good stuff up there!)

Lastly, I've added some "You Are Here" type maps into the game. It's very easy to get lost in those mazes, even if you've played the 2600 game a million times!

Here's the full view of the completed map:

http://www.ataritimes.com/classics/images/...adv/fullmap.gif

Hey all,

I'm still progressing with the Q3 Adventure map. You can see some new screenshots (of the Black Castle!) by going to the Q3 Adventure page over at TAT.

http://www.ataritimes.com/classics/feature..._adventure.html

Another thing I've done is given each maze a "featured" weapon. You will only find the railgun in one maze, the plasma gun in another, and the lightning gun in yet another. Also, there is only one BFG in the game and it's located in a "secret" area. ;)

I have a question however... I've decided to make the Gold Castle's room a depository of cool stuff. But I can't decide if I should fill it with every ammo possible, every weapon, or lots of health/armor...

I would think the Gold Castle would be a place of peace and harmony, so I'm thinking it should have health/armor. But, what location would make a great spot for the ammo depository? :ponder:

WOOHOO! Got the bots working! So, now I'm in the midst of fighting 'em! Here's a screenshot:

http://www.ataritimes.com/classics/images/...ke3adv/bots.jpg

They're not to bright though. They tend to get lost in the Blue maze and spend most of their time near the Black Castle. I don't think they know how to use the teleporters.

Also, I created a door to the Gold Castle and you have to shoot it to open. They don't seem to understand how to do this. Guess I'll have to keep tweaking!

I have to say - I am sooooo looking forward to this, that I've been checking every day to see the next thing you've accomplished. I've even downloaded the map, and QuArK - because I couldn't wait. It looks awesome! :D

This is coming from someone who played Adventure (and still does

) all the time in the early 80s.

I am especially interested in the full game - (not just the DM environment) But I know - that will take a while.

I guess the point of this reply is to say everything looks great and keep up the excellent work!

(BTW - Did you get a chance to tell Warren Robinett what you were doing when you were at the show? I'm sure he would be impressed!)

Bob DeCrescenzo

Now all we need is to create the Ms.Pac-Man maze with the Bots as the monsters! he he :)

(BTW - Did you get a chance to tell Warren Robinett what you were doing when you were at the show?  I'm sure he would be impressed!)

Warren was at CGE? Well, I didn't get to see him since I didn't go!

If someone has his email, I'll let him know of the project. Or, someone else could do it!

I'm sorry - I was under the impression that you went :(

I read on a thrread that he was a speaker there and talked about Adventure.

Again, please forgive me, I mis-read an earlier post and I thought you had mentioned something about the show, so I ass/u/med that you went :(

Again, please forgive me, I mis-read an earlier post and I thought you had mentioned something about the show, so I ass/u/med that you went :(

No problem. I may have written somewhere that I "wanted" to go!

I've done a little work on the sword model... Don't know if it will make it to the DeathMatch map though. Making models is MUCH harder than building the map. Even this simple sword model!

http://www.ataritimes.com/classics/images/...e3adv/sword.jpg

teleporters?  Man, I must have missed something in Adventure????

You have to use teleporters because of the funky way the mazes work. Here is the image I am making the map from. Notice how the paths are kinda weird?

http://home.att.net/~ataritimes/ADV-MAP1.GIF

Gee, that map looks familiar...

Oh yeah. That's cause I drew it! :D

Gee, that map looks familiar...

Oh yeah. That's cause I drew it! :D

Hey cool! It's been a great help. The layout of the Quake map is based on it!

One question though:

In the Black Castle Maze, there is a "warp" that doesn't have a letter associated with it. It's the one directly above both "B"s. I'm guessing they go to each other?

I created that maze on this assumption and even created a "F" to link them together.

One question though:

In the Black Castle Maze, there is a "warp" that doesn't have a letter associated with it. It's the one directly above both "B"s. I'm guessing they go to each other?

I created that maze on this assumption and even created a "F" to link them together.

Yes, all the passages on one side of one screen always connect to the same screen on the other side.

Glad the maze was of help!